Author Topic: Blighter Optimization?  (Read 13134 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Blighter Optimization?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
Oh hey what about Druid1/Spirit Shaman 5? You cast spells using the druid spell list, AKA 3rd level druid spells.

I'd just like to point out that now matter how much you argue that casting "druid spells" means spells that happen to be on the druid spell list, every DM (and I) will still think you're wrong. Personally, I ban the blighter class. It's super weak.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »
The Spirit Shaman entry was mentioned; I haven't gotten around to updating the first post with it yet.  Ban the Blighter for weakness?  I bet you don't ban the Spellthief /nitpick/ just joshin ya :)

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 10:06:13 PM »
Blighter gives up a lot of spell choice to get 9th level spells at 15th level. Those 9ths aren't that great either. Ur Priest looks easier to use to me, but the blighter is passable. Plus, I'd have to say that the wording of the special requirement means to me that you'd have to get the 3rd casting as a druid somehow. Level drain is one method that might help, considering the wording.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
Blighter gives up a lot of spell choice to get 9th level spells at 15th level. Those 9ths aren't that great either. Ur Priest looks easier to use to me, but the blighter is passable.
I agree, but the Blighter entries are looking much easier to me.  Its not good if you want to "do everything" but it looks great if you can be a player that enjoys just having a lot of power in one particular area.  I definitley am not debating how much better Ur-Priest is; we all know its better.  I'm just trying to see how far I can go with and how optimized we can get with the Blighter (I've done similarly with Shadowcasters, Incarnates, and many others).  If there were an Ultimate Magus for divine spellcasters, though, look out!
Plus, I'd have to say that the wording of the special requirement means to me that you'd have to get the 3rd casting as a druid somehow.
It states "Must be an ex-druid previously capable of casting 3rd level druid spells."  Most DMs I know would interpret that as meaning spells from the Druid spell list, and we are capable of casting a 3rd level Druid spell in each of the builds I've put up so far, even with just 1 level of Druid.  We're meeting your interpretation, too.

Anyways, thanks for the commentary; this stuff needs to be (re)stated on occasion.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 04:36:46 AM »
I can almost see the flavour of Blighter working with a Void Disciple (another PrC which almost never sees the light of day). Whatever 5/Blighter 3/Void Disciple 12 isn't half bad.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 05:02:34 AM »
The biggest difficulty I find with Blighter is getting +4 BAB with a casting class at early levels. It practically requires one class, or access to 2nd level druid spells and sanctum/earth spell, then adding in a full BAB class for one level or so.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »
The biggest difficulty I find with Blighter is getting +4 BAB with a casting class at early levels. It practically requires one class, or access to 2nd level druid spells and sanctum/earth spell, then adding in a full BAB class for one level or so.
True.  If you use Versatile Spellcaster, you only need 2nd level spells on the other casting class and Heighten Spell, though.  That means going to as little as 3rd level w/ the other class for spellcasting.  Of course, that messes up the BAB for most classes, but 4th level Bard means only 1 full BAB class before Druid.