Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2  (Read 137525 times)

Gorbash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2
« Reply #540 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21:53 PM »
Q 182

What did Errata for Leap Attack Actually do? I'm a bit unclear on that one. It says instead of adding double for one handed weapons and triple for two-handed, now it's +100%. Does that mean that it's now -1/+2 for one-handed weapons and -1/+4 for two-handed, or what?
I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #541 on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »
Q 182

What did Errata for Leap Attack Actually do? I'm a bit unclear on that one. It says instead of adding double for one handed weapons and triple for two-handed, now it's +100%. Does that mean that it's now -1/+2 for one-handed weapons and -1/+4 for two-handed, or what?
It does the same thing as before, it just now works properly when combined with other effects (like Frenzied Berzerker) that increase PA ratio.  Basically, when you charge and PA, you add 100% of the amount you subtracted to your damage, over and on top of whatever else you would already have gotten.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: March 23, 2009, 11:35:40 PM »
Before errata, Leap Attack would multiply the Frenzied Berserker's extra PA damage, not add to it.

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »
Q183: What's with the prismatic Rei?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #544 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
I think it's in Spell Compendium.  :lol
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #545 on: March 24, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »
This was from the first SQ/SA thread, and it never got answered:

Q 184: A warlock can take and use the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat prior to reaching 12th level, as basic enhanced weapons without special properties have no prerequisite other than a minimum caster level.  Are there any other magic items that similarly do not require actual spells in their crafting, and thus could be used by warlocks to make items prior to 12th level?

I've found a few Wondrous Items (Boots of Elven Kind, Bracers of Archery), but not many.

Q 185: Suppose you were playing in a campaign without magic-marts, and most of the PC's wealth is exactly what they've gleaned from their fallen foes, though it is appropriately scaled to level (a 13th level fighter has a +3 weapon, etc.)  This set-up may lead to the fighter having a +3 bastard sword when he really wants a +3 great axe.  Given that setting, and assuming Tome of Battle isn't allowed, would making the Weapon Aptitude ability of the Warblade into a feat be a good idea?  Would it be worth a feat?  Or is it overpowered?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:54:28 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #546 on: March 24, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »
A184: The requisite spells may come from scrolls.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #547 on: March 24, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
A184: The requisite spells may come from scrolls.
True, but lets assume for this question that the purpose is to create magic items on one's own, without expending other magic items.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: March 24, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
A 185: That seems perfectly reasonable.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #549 on: March 24, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »

Seconded, specially if the prereqs are right.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #550 on: March 24, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »
Congrats, someone got my pun!   :lmao

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: March 24, 2009, 03:35:47 PM »
Source? Do you have a bigger version?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: March 24, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »
Q186
Since wall of fire is shapable and has a duration of concentration + some, does this allow me to reshape the wall while I concentrate on it?

Q187
What happens when a creature with exactly 6 HD is exposed to cloudkill?  Seemingly, it dies unless it passes a Fort save- poison immunity doesn't help- and if it survives it must Fort save again or lose 2d4 CON.  (Poison immunity would reduce this to d4 CON, Fort save for half.)
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #553 on: March 24, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »

Seconded, specially if the prereqs are right.
Q 185b:  What prereqs would people suggest?  Obviously Weapon Focus, but what else?  A BAB restriction? Something else?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #554 on: March 24, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
Q187
What happens when a creature with exactly 6 HD is exposed to cloudkill?  Seemingly, it dies unless it passes a Fort save- poison immunity doesn't help- and if it survives it must Fort save again or lose 2d4 CON.  (Poison immunity would reduce this to d4 CON, Fort save for half.)
A 187: He makes a Fort save to avoid death.  If he makes the save, he takes 1.5 * 1d4 Con damage (I think).  Poison immunity does help.

are unaffected by the spell.

Technically, the way the spell is worded, the above is the Con damage the 6-HD creature would take, but it ends up taking more damage than creatures with less hit dice.  Reasonable DM ruling = 6 HD creatures save vs. death, and take 1d4 Con damage on a success.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:07:41 PM by ksbsnowowl »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #555 on: March 24, 2009, 07:00:30 PM »
A185
Weapon Aptitude as written is somewhere between "OK for a feat" and "weak for a feat."  You still need the appropriate feats like Weapon Focus to benefit from Weapon Aptitude as well as various weapons.  It seems like a Fighter should get this automatically as a class feature at level 2-4.

Q188
Let's assume I'm a Cleric with the Protection and Strength domains.  I cast substitute domain to swap Protection for War.  I prepare power word blind in my level 7 domain slot.  I'm dispelled and lose substitute domain but I haven't cast power word blind.  What spell is in my level 7 slot?

Q189
I read somewhere that the first stance you take must be first level, even if you qualify for higher level stances.  Is this true, and if so, on which pages is it referenced?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:50:24 AM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: March 25, 2009, 07:06:38 AM »
Edit: I'm dumb. Ignore me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:15:20 AM by CannibalSmith »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #557 on: March 25, 2009, 01:48:16 PM »
Q189
I read somewhere that the first stance you take must be first level, even if you qualify for higher level stances.  Is this true, and if so, on which pages is it referenced?
It is within the class write-ups for the 3 martial classes.

Quote from: ToB p. 16
Stances Known: You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline open to you.

mavriskyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »
Q 190

Is it my thought or did the rules for class and cross-class skills get revised somewhere. According to SRD/PH if you get a class skill from a single class and you multiclass, it's always class skill from then on. E.g. a wizard 1/rogue 3 can have 7 ranks of spellcraft.

Is this correct? Also, will he consider spellcraft (in the above example) a class skill for his rogue, so he can use...skill mastery on it? Or pay only one skill point per rank if he levels up as a rogue?

Please enlighten me...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #559 on: March 25, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »
Q 190

Is it my thought or did the rules for class and cross-class skills get revised somewhere. According to SRD/PH if you get a class skill from a single class and you multiclass, it's always class skill from then on. E.g. a wizard 1/rogue 3 can have 7 ranks of spellcraft.

Is this correct? Also, will he consider spellcraft (in the above example) a class skill for his rogue, so he can use...skill mastery on it? Or pay only one skill point per rank if he levels up as a rogue?

Please enlighten me...
A 190

If you multiclass, the maximum skill rank cap for the class skills from your old class stays as if they were class skills, but you still have to pay extra if they're not class skills for your new class. In your example, the Wizard/Rogue could indeed get 7 ranks in Spellcraft, but he'd need to pay 10 skill points to get them, not 7.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation