Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2  (Read 137566 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2
« Reply #360 on: March 04, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
Q122: Is there an epic progression or any form of extended table for Thrallherd or does it simply end at Leadership of 25 with the set numbers given on the table?  We have an Ebberon game coming up i'm thinking about playing one but wanted to check this first, since i don't want to be useless at high levels.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
Q123
In official sources or Dragon material, where can I find a domain, magic item, or wondrous location that grants Combat Casting?

Q124
Does an Artificer of the appropriate level also know all infusions from supplemental sources like Magic of Eberron?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:48:29 AM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #362 on: March 05, 2009, 03:05:14 AM »
Q124
Does an Artificer of the appropriate level also know all infusions from supplemental sources like Magic of Eberron?
A124: Yes.  The major rules point to indicate such is that there are no rules provided for him to "gain" knowledge of the new infusions - because he doesn't need to gain them, he already knows them, because they know all artificier infusions.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #363 on: March 05, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »
Q125: Neither the SRD, the DMG, the Player's Handbook, nor the Rules compendium say mechanically how a character levels up, other than to say that there is an XP relation. What I want to know is if the XP thresholds or necessary or sufficient conditions for leveling up (nor does it even say this is up to the DM).

Example: can a level 1 character who gains enough XP decide not to level up yet? (this is risky but can help a little in a large party)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: March 05, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
A125: Assuming you're referring to gaining better XP, you're example isn't really valid as a level 1 char gains as much xp as a level 2 char. In fact, the numbers don't change until level 4.
As to your question, I see no reason they wouldn't be allowed to delay their level, perhaps to have XP for makin' stuffs.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #365 on: March 05, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
I hate hogging this thread, but its so good!

So I'll be fair first:

A118: No. "Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways" and "While raging, a barbarian cannot use ... the Concentration skill"

A119: None. There are tons of simple feats that can be gained, this just isn't one of them. But if you want blind-fighting, weapon proficiency, extra turning, improved initiative, portal sensitive, etc you are in luck!

A122: 339 said no. http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-1001988.html Also, there are much, much better epic classes then anything reasonable to homebrew off of thrallherd (not that it would be hard). Comon, epic is soooo broken anyways - if you are looking for power there are plenty of other places.
[Spoiler]
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #366 on: March 05, 2009, 01:18:01 PM »
So now that that's over...

Q126: In Savage Species the Multi-Voice feat meantions "two or more heads" in the pre-req but the only mentions the benefits from 'another head,' as well as the rest of the benefits, like it would not help to have a 3rd or 4th head. Does this make sense? Shouldn't a 4 headed caster be able to sling (as a full round action) 4 spells rather than 2, like his meagerly 2 headed buddy can do? Perhaps I'm missing something in the FAQ...
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #367 on: March 05, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »
So now that that's over...

Q126: In Savage Species the Multi-Voice feat meantions "two or more heads" in the pre-req but the only mentions the benefits from 'another head,' as well as the rest of the benefits, like it would not help to have a 3rd or 4th head. Does this make sense? Shouldn't a 4 headed caster be able to sling (as a full round action) 4 spells rather than 2, like his meagerly 2 headed buddy can do? Perhaps I'm missing something in the FAQ...

Unless he has more than one set of limbs to play around with, no.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #368 on: March 05, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
Continuation of Q123
Cleric domains lack Combat Casting as a bonus feat, but what about items?

A126
Complete Warrior mentions this somewhere.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #369 on: March 05, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »
I'm sorry what does CW mention where? (Endarire nope on the items for continuation of Q123... combat reflexes and mounted combat are available though :D perhaps a magical place can give this feat similar to a metamagic storm...)

What if he does have a spell-castable limb per head, Kuroimaken? (I'm not even sure what exactly makes a spell-castable limb other than capable of fine movements)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:51:10 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #370 on: March 05, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm sorry what does CW mention where? (Endarire nope on the items also... combat reflexes and mounted combat are available though :D perhaps a magical place can give this feat similar to a metamagic storm...)

What if he does have a spell-castable limb per head, Kuroimaken? (I'm not even sure what exactly makes a spell-castable limb other than capable of fine movements)

Theoretically, in order to be able to cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has verbal components) and manipulate (if it has somatic components). I would assume that you would need both hands free to be able to cast two spells at once. If you had three heads and two arms, though, no such luck (unless the third spell has no somatic component).

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #371 on: March 05, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »
Q127: So, I'm playing an undead dread necromancer with fell energy spell usable 3/day on 3rd level or lower spells.  If you don't know what it does, it increases any bonuses given by a spell by +2 if the target is undead.  The problem is, even though I have the good domain from rainbow servant, I still don't have any particularly useful spells to apply it to.

As is, the only spells that it can actually work on to that I know are protection from evil, magic circle against evil, and death knell.  I can't even apply it to aid, since it specifies living targets.

So, what domains can I snag with Arcane Disciple that give spells in the levels 1-3 with bonus types that are actually useful to undead? 

EDIT: Mysticism domain.  A better divine favor, and a +6 enhancement to charisma from Lesser Visage... yeah, that rocks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:56:18 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #372 on: March 05, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »
Q 128: Other than harpies, what (playable) creatures can qualify for the Siren PrC in Savage Species?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
Theoretically, in order to be able to cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has verbal components) and manipulate (if it has somatic components). I would assume that you would need both hands free to be able to cast two spells at once. If you had three heads and two arms, though, no such luck (unless the third spell has no somatic component).
Wait if all each head needs is either a body part or no somatic component then what is the multi-voice feat for?

Would taking the feat only once allow a 4 armed, 4 headed caster can cast 4 spells a turn? (or can this be done without the feat?)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:55:52 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
Wait if all each head needs is either a body part or no somatic component then what is the multi-voice feat for?

Would taking the feat only once allow a 4 armed, 4 headed caster can cast 4 spells a turn? (or can this be done without the feat?)

I assume that even if you have multiple heads you don't automatically get the ability to use all of them to cast. The only monster I can recall that is able to cast more than one spell per round is the Spellweaver, and that ability is exclusive to him...

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
  • Advanced Spambot
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »
I assume that even if you have multiple heads you don't automatically get the ability to use all of them to cast. The only monster I can recall that is able to cast more than one spell per round is the Spellweaver, and that ability is exclusive to him...
Chronotryn, Demogorgon (and his Aspect), and Chokers can all take two standard (or full) actions per round. Any of these should be able to cast more than one spell per round, assuming they can cast spells at all.
[spoiler]
A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
...thanks
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »
Chronotryn, Demogorgon (and his Aspect), and Chokers can all take two standard (or full) actions per round. Any of these should be able to cast more than one spell per round, assuming they can cast spells at all.

Assuming your DM is insane enough to let you play as a multiheaded Chronotryn spellcaster, for example...

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
  • Advanced Spambot
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »
Assuming your DM is insane enough to let you play as a multiheaded Chronotryn spellcaster, for example...
Or Shapechange into one. :D Chronytryn have two heads, also, in case the DM thinks you need two to cast two spells per round.
[spoiler]
A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
...thanks
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
Or Shapechange into one. :D Chronytryn have two heads, also, in case the DM thinks you need two to cast two spells per round.

I was actually referring to letting you polymorph into something templated.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »
I appreciate bringing up those broken creatures, but I already know about them (and have been planning to use them all at once in a build coming soon.)

But aside from extra actions, the multi-voice feat allows a two headed creature to (as a full round action) cast 2 spells that would have each cost a standard action. Q129: What I need to know is can the multi-voice feat (or any other ability you can think of) allow a 3 / 4 headed creature to cast 3 / 4 spells as a standard action?
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]