Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2  (Read 137485 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part 2
« Reply #300 on: March 01, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »
Q106: Upon second glance the Versatile Spellcaster feat is a little ambiguous. Does it only allow the actual casting at casting time (of a spell of a level that you can cast by using two lower slots) or does it allow you to gain a virtual placeholder for a spell of the bumped up level?

For instance does it allow a 6th level sorc who has used up all his 2nd and 3rd level spells burn 4 first level spells to create 2 2nd level spells to make a 3rd level spell?

Q107: In the above example what if he hadn't yet used any 2nd or 3rd level spells, could he still can an extra 3rd level spell?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:15:26 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #301 on: March 01, 2009, 03:31:39 AM »
A106: You can't pyramid them, if that's what you're asking.  4 first level spells cannot make one third level spell.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: March 01, 2009, 04:57:57 AM »
Since we are on the topic....  I usually hear the question

Q 106b

If I go Cleric2/Wizard1, and have an INT grater than 12 with that illuminian sigil that gives me +2 CL, does that let me sack two level one wizard spells for one level two wizard spell?  after all, I have enough CL to cast it....

with the asnwer

A 106b

This is often used as a theoretically RAW early entry method.  However, many DM's rule otherwise.

Q 108 Cobalt Power states:
"You also gain an insight bonus equal to the invested essentia on damage rolls made when using Power Attack (up to a maximum value equal to the penalty accepted on the attack roll)."
Since it does not mention the type (Light/1h/2h) of weapon, is this bonus damage granted to light weapons?

Q 109 Stone Power qualifies me to take Cobalt Power.... but what effect, if any, does my invested Essentia have when I take a penalty to my attack using Stone Power instead of Power Attack?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:10:03 AM by Operation Shoestring »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #303 on: March 01, 2009, 05:28:36 AM »
A106b) If I understand what you're asking, no.

The versatile spellcaster+heighten thing is based on the fact that, for example, a heightened magic missile is actually a second level spell (or third or something else if you heightened it more than +1).  Since sacrificing two first level slots with versatile spellcaster lets you cast a heightened magic missile, you're able to cast a second level spell.

If you're asking
"Hey, if I'm a first level sorcerer with Charisma 12, versatile spellcaster, and a couple of metamagic feats, can I spend two slots for extended mage armor or heightened magic missile," the answer is yes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2009, 06:10:09 AM »
Q110: is there any ability that allows frenzy as an immediate action? I seem to remember one...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2009, 06:51:41 AM »
A110: There's the Instantaneous Rage feat from CW that might help. I believe the Ferocity variant (Cityscape IIRC) can also be used as an Immediate action or reaction...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »
"You also gain an insight bonus equal to the invested essentia on damage rolls made when using Power Attack (up to a maximum value equal to the penalty accepted on the attack roll)."
Since it does not mention the type (Light/1h/2h) of weapon, is this bonus damage granted to light weapons?

Q 109 Stone Power qualifies me to take Cobalt Power.... but what effect, if any, does my invested Essentia have when I take a penalty to my attack using Stone Power instead of Power Attack?
A 108: It looks like you found a RAW way to get Power Attack damage with light weapons.

A 109: It has no effect when using Stone Power.  Stone Power only mentions that it counts as Power Attack for qualifying for feats or PrC; not that it becomes power attack for other purposes.  The feat specifies you must be using power attack.  Just because you found a way to get the feat without the means to use it, doesn't negate the fact that it only works with power attack.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:57:34 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #307 on: March 01, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »

A 108: It looks like you found a RAW way to get Power Attack damage with light weapons.

Q 111: Hmm, so would the various power attack multipliers also multiply the boost given by Cobalt Power? (I suspect there is no right answer here)
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #308 on: March 01, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »

Q 111: Hmm, so would the various power attack multipliers also multiply the boost given by Cobalt Power? (I suspect there is no right answer here)
A 111: No, the multipliers wouldn't work, because the damage bonus value comes from the amount of invested essentia; it doesn't come from power attack itself (though it is limited by the penalty on power attack - ie, it has no link whatsoever to the bonus damage provided by power attack).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #309 on: March 01, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »

A 111: No, the multipliers wouldn't work, because the damage bonus value comes from the amount of invested essentia; it doesn't come from power attack itself (though it is limited by the penalty on power attack - ie, it has no link whatsoever to the bonus damage provided by power attack).

And Cobalt power is only going to give you +4 damage, +5 if you take another feat to boost it.

As a note, Astral Vambraces can give you power attack without having to spend a feat on it.  but you wont be able to bind them until mid to high levels.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #310 on: March 01, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
Q112) How liberally do bonus spell slots interact with effects that use spell slots?

For example, take a wizard who has bonus slots from a high int and specializing in conjuration. Can he sacrifice those slots to abilities such as archmage's high arcane, "dedicate" them to feats such as spell-like ability (complete arcane/PGTF) or combine them using features such as versatile caster?

Also, if I have the ability to cast spells spontaneously, could I spontaneously convert a conjuration bonus spell slot to cast a non-conjuration spell, say, tongues courtesy of spontaneous divination?

Or can I only use "actual" slots gained?

Also, no replies on my earlier question regarding bounding assault+natural attacks?  :bigeye
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #311 on: March 01, 2009, 10:05:43 PM »
Q112) How liberally do bonus spell slots interact with effects that use spell slots?

For example, take a wizard who has bonus slots from a high int and specializing in conjuration. Can he sacrifice those slots to abilities such as archmage's high arcane, "dedicate" them to feats such as spell-like ability (complete arcane/PGTF) or combine them using features such as versatile caster?

Also, if I have the ability to cast spells spontaneously, could I spontaneously convert a conjuration bonus spell slot to cast a non-conjuration spell, say, tongues courtesy of spontaneous divination?

Or can I only use "actual" slots gained?

Also, no replies on my earlier question regarding bounding assault+natural attacks?  :bigeye

The short answer: no.
The long answer: there is no indication that you can't do that, but I'd assume not; as a general rule, D&D doesn't factor attributes in directly as part of a class progression.

For example, a lvl 17 Wizard with 15 Int still has his 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th level spell slots, even though he can't prepare the spells or cast them (by virtue of having a low score). The spell slots are part of his class levels, and as such are class features you can actually work with. Bonus spell slots, being fluctuating, are trickier to judge, but I'd assume that due to their transient nature, that wouldn't work.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2009, 07:02:31 AM »
A112: Bonus spell slots are spell slots.

Seventh_Wing

• Noob
« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »
EDIT: Move along, nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:53:45 AM by Seventh_Wing »

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
Q113

Is there anyway to get around Blindsight/Sense, besides using Darkstalker (from Draconomicon)? I think some types of Blindsight don't work in the area of a Silence spell, but if I cast silence on myself could a creature detect me if it wasn't in range of the Silence effect?

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2009, 03:16:05 PM »
A113: Pure DM call on creature by creature basis. By RAW, Bat's Blindsense is unaffected by Silence. By analogy, a spell of Silence looks to echolocation like Darkness does to normal vision. Maybe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:23:33 PM by CannibalSmith »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
Q114
What are all the bonuses whirling frenzy grants?  It specifically grants this:

"A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action."

The ambiguous part:
"Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +3. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4."
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »
What part is ambiguous?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »
I think he's asking whether he gets the same +4 con and +2 will saves that a standard Rage grants.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
A114
Since he "doesn't gain the normal bonuses", then the only bonuses he gains are what is listed in the new text. However, he's still fatigued, etc., at the end of the rage frenzy.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey