Author Topic: CO team, what level adventures?  (Read 4976 times)

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
CO team, what level adventures?
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:44:21 PM »
I`m thinking of running a CO game, so I`m wondering, how tough should the enemies be to challenge a CO team?

I`ll risk borrowing this scale, courtesy of JanusJones:

Quote from: JanusJones

1. "I'm a ROLE-player!": This is the dimwitted "I took WP Focus 'cuz my wizard has this dagger he really likes!" level.  Woo.

2. Competent: A Wizard with Color Spray at 1st.  This is the level for most competent players, at which they don't make DUMB moves and know what things do.

3. Slick: This is when some totally legal, inarguable, but pretty unique and effective tricks come out.  Entangling Exhalatiion on a 1st-level DFA, Tomb-Tainted Soul on a Dread Necro, Dragonfire Strike + Shape Soulmeld - Dissolving Spittle for a 3d6 touch attack at-will at level 1, etc.

4. Slightly Cheesy: This is where things are still legal, but you run the risk of annoying a DM.  Examples include using the Half-Minotaur, White Dragonspawn Kobold + 1 level of Binder as a 1-level entry into Anima Mage, etc.

5. Limburger: Pun-pun's the worst of these, but there's a big list.  Candles of Invocation, using Racial Emulation and Assume Supernatural Ability to change into a crazy templated were-form with a Changeling at 1st, etc.  These are pretty much game-breaking and not worth it, on the whole.

In that scale, I`d place the optimal gaming enviroment game at 3 (Just my personal opinion, feel free to disagree).

From lack of a better measuring stick(The CR system doesnt work very well), we`ll  use the levelstamp on premade adventures.

Example: "A first level CO party should be able to clear out a lvl4 adventure without too much hassle."
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Apupunchau

• Monkey bussiness
Re: CO team, what level adventures?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »
Interesting scale although I'm kind of insulted that being a ROLE-player is associated with being a dimwitted. Just because I write a long back story and talk in character doesn't mean I haven't looked around and built a character that isn't going to work.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »
Interesting scale although I'm kind of insulted that being a ROLE-player is associated with being a dimwitted. Just because I write a long back story and talk in character doesn't mean I haven't looked around and built a character that isn't going to work.
The person that makes the statement in (1) is dimwitted because he does not understand the Stormwind Fallacy.

You, may not be.

I like (2), actually.  It allows you to demonstrate rules proficiency/mastery, while allowing almost any other player in a game to contribute meaningfully, (almost) regardless of their build decisions.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »
Because that thing in JJ's sure as hell is not a joke referring to the users whining about the CO boards taking away roleplaying from D&D. Stormwind fallacy deals with this in great detail.

Edit: Sigh, PI beat me to it.

Handy Links

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
Actually the point is that you can ROLE-play without wasting precious feats (among other things). Optimizers can roleplay too. Its just that they don`t take 2 dagger feats with there mage because the char has one his granddad made for his 10th bursday.  :P

EDIT: Hmm. I belive ninja`d is the term used when this happens. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:58:50 PM by AlisAtAn »
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
Its good to be back ;)

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »
Its good to be back ;)

How come you went missing at 339? Mods choosing trolls over you? :P

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
Its good to be back ;)
Good to have you back, 339's entertainment level dropped by around 70% when you left. You should sig the new posting guideline thread, it is somehow an integral part of you. It's the same thing with that avatar.

You wouldn't happen to have your Kalashtar Dervish saved somewhere? That's been one of my favourite 'custom classes' ever.

Handy Links

Apupunchau

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
I wasn't around on the WotC boards all that long so I'm not up on everything that's gone on and I will shamelessly admit I have no clue what the Stormwind fallacy. But anyway so the person in 1) is saying he's an RPer do cover up his stupidity in wasting a feat I got that now. I to would go got 2) I think a lot of people who are competent but not true optimizers come to the optimization boards to get ideas on what they should be doing, but these people (like myself) might want to join in these games and they won't want to die every five seconds because the game is geared toward the other players who can consistently kill things exponentially higher level then them and they just can't (at least not yet).

Edit: wow the board warns me that some one else was typing and posting while i was typing and says I may want to review what they said. That is so nifty.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »
I agree with 2 being best for normal games. But for a CO game with a semblance of balance I think 3 is nice. 4 would be giving the DM a few headaches when he runs out of enemies to throw at his lvl 10 party.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »
You wouldn't happen to have your Kalashtar Dervish saved somewhere? That's been one of my favourite 'custom classes' ever.
I do not believe so, but I will attempt to dig it out of the WotC archives.  Search is not keyed to membership, you understand.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 12:41:30 AM »
I agree with 2 being best for normal games. But for a CO game with a semblance of balance I think 3 is nice. 4 would be giving the DM a few headaches when he runs out of enemies to throw at his lvl 10 party.
I think it all really depends on who you are playing with. If everyone wants to play at 2, you optimize the encounters for 2, etc. Just make sure to get your players' opinions first. That's how I'm doing it.

Another thing I'd advise is starting at a lower level that you feel comfortable with so you can optimize encounters and build up from there.  It's much easier to under-optimize and upgrade than it is to over-optimize and TPK your party *shrug*
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Squash Monster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »
Level 2 and 3 are both fun to play with.  I really enjoy the thought that goes into level 3 builds and most of the builds I make are around that level, but 2 is still really accessible.

The best thing about level 2 is that you can do one weird or quirky thing in what would otherwise be a level 3 build and end up with a build that's as powerful as the level 2 types but as intricate as a level 3.  I think it's the best level for getting people of different skill levels together.

MittenNinja

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 02:19:45 AM »
Level 2 and 3 are both fun to play with.  I really enjoy the thought that goes into level 3 builds and most of the builds I make are around that level, but 2 is still really accessible.

The best thing about level 2 is that you can do one weird or quirky thing in what would otherwise be a level 3 build and end up with a build that's as powerful as the level 2 types but as intricate as a level 3.  I think it's the best level for getting people of different skill levels together.
I agree 100%

Akula

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 04:49:47 AM »
Its good to be back ;)
Still got the fastest keyboard in the west.
On a more serious note 2 is likely the level that a game will get the most players and interest at, 3 is the level where most CO exclusive games start at. Though I've seen both ramp up as the game progresses.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 05:50:14 AM »
Personally I prefer 3, but I can enjoy 2 just as well and don't mind a little 4 every now and then :)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »
And the Lord spake, saying,

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Splat Books, then shalt thou optimize to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt optimize to, and the number of the optimizing shall be three. Four shalt thou not optimize to, neither optimize thou to two, excepting that thou then tweaketh thine build to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Optimized Character towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Amen.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
Using Monty Python to fight against splatbooks?! You can't use awesome to battle cool! That just doesn't work.

Handy Links

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 10:11:49 AM »
3 and 2, in that order. I'm not lactose intolerant, but I prefer not going too far with the cheese. The only time I tried a "4" character... Well, my DM wasn't prepared.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:42:39 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »
And the Lord spake, saying,

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Splat Books, then shalt thou optimize to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt optimize to, and the number of the optimizing shall be three. Four shalt thou not optimize to, neither optimize thou to two, excepting that thou then tweaketh thine build to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Optimized Character towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Amen.

The profet speaks! Everyone join me in hallelujah! :clap