Author Topic: Archivist Help [Level 14, 32pt buy]  (Read 4144 times)

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
Archivist Help [Level 14, 32pt buy]
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:42:38 AM »
Looking for help on making a character, ideas on spells to use, feats, classes, so long as it has a reference to published material it is ok.

All stats start at ten, no DMM allowed, using any book. It's a 3.5 game....

I wanted to do something like 11 Archivist, 1 Spelldancer, 1 Contemplative(For choice of Domain and Spellcasting)

With the free domain I thought I could either take planning to lessen the load on my feats for persistant spell, or maybe take a flaw or two for that and get knowledge instead... i'm open to any and all advice on how to make a good character including items. 150,000gp as per ECW, nothing too broken like the Starlight Mantle would be allowed ;p

Thanks.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Archivist Help [Level 14, 32pt buy]
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 02:07:32 AM »
This probably depends on how long you expect the campaign to run, but if it's going to be short (ie, you don't expect to level) you could go with:

Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist 5/Spelldancer 1/X 3/Contemplative 1/Y 3

The Cloistered Cleric dip would give you one feat you need for spelldancer, plus two others. I'd go Planning / Time / Knowledge Devotion.

The thing is, since you're starting at an even level, it wouldn't lose you access to your highest level of spells. If you level up though, you'll be behind a spell level whenever you're at an odd ECL.

Going off of a Wizard build I made a while back, what about Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist 6/Spelldancer 2/Spellguard of Silverymoon 5

(spellguard may take 1 more level to get into, I forget)

Then you could not only persist as many spells as you like, you could give some to your allies too.

IIRC, Contemplative costs a feat to enter, so if you're just using it for a bonus feat you're not really gaining anything.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:39:03 AM »
The campaign has been running a while and will continue to run for a while to come... i'm just rerolling because I got bored of my Warlock.

Contemplative just needs ranks in Knowledge Religion to enter and I don't really want to lose spell levels anywhere if at all possible. Archivist 11 is for the fun stunning ability =p not worth it?

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 02:52:18 AM »
The campaign has been running a while and will continue to run for a while to come... i'm just rerolling because I got bored of my Warlock.

Contemplative just needs ranks in Knowledge Religion to enter and I don't really want to lose spell levels anywhere if at all possible. Archivist 11 is for the fun stunning ability =p not worth it?
Well if you really want to use Archivist 11/, go right ahead. Since it's a long campaign, the cloistered cleric dip likely won't be worth it. The Contemplative dip is a good idea -- I was thinking of the Divine Oracle prereqs when I recommended against it.

Unfortunately, taking 11 levels of Archivist makes my Spellguard suggestion obsolete. IIRC they get their share spells ability at level 4. It might still be worth it, though, since it shares some prereqs with Spelldancer and gives bonus metamagic.

Archivist 11/Contemplative 1/Spelldancer 1/Spellguard of Silverymoon 1

The problem I have with this is that it doesn't get Share until ECL 17.

It may be worth considering going

Archivist 11/Contemplative 1/Spelldancer 2 (if you wear light armor)
or
Archivist 11/Spelldancer 1/Divine Oracle 2 (if you wear heavy armor, but it's more feat intensive)

either of these would get you Evasion.

Needing Archivist 11 seems a bit restrictive, but it's not like you'll be hurting for power. Spelldancer is more abusable than (already banned) DMM for Persistent Spell. I hope your DM doesn't mind you persisting all of your ultimate power spells (I'd guess that's exactly what he was trying to prevent by banning DMM).

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:05:36 AM »
I checked Spellguard but you don't get any spell progression with it, Archivists are not arcane spellcasters. They count as divine. As for DMM/Dancing problems... it's worth a shot.

Arch11, Spelldancer2, Contemplative 1 seems to be best right now. Mithril Medium armour :3 delicious.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:12:26 AM by Takanaki »

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:49 AM »
I checked Spellguard but you don't get any spell progression with it, Archivists are not arcane spellcasters. They count as divine. As for DMM/Dancing problems... it's worth a shot.

Arch11, Spelldancer2, Contemplative 1 seems to be best right now. Mithril Medium armour :3 delicious.

Whoops. That's what I get for basing it on my wizard build without actually consulting the books involved.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »

Could you provide a clearer idea of what you would like? I can see your going DMM Persist, but unless Spelldancer gives you that I'm not sure how your doing it. More details on 1 level Spelldancer dip as well please. 11's a good point for Archivist, but assuming Spelldancer doesn't give you turn your looking at Sacred Exorcist dip for turn undead to power your DMM.

Archivist is very GM dependant, so you need to clear with your GM if you can purchase divine scrolls from any spellcasting class. Mystic is a good one, and Ranger or Paladin are awesome depending on what your going for. The best buffs are still cleric and druid but there are some obscure divine PrC's that'll give you one or two spells at a lower level.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 08:13:37 AM »
If you want persistent spell without DMM, consider the divine adaptation of Anima Mage.  Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 9 would give you three persistent spells per day (with extend spell, you can keep 6 up at a time).  Finish out the build with Tenebrous Apostate after finishing Anima Mage, and then consider either Contemplative or, if available, Tainted Scholar 1.  It's a very potent build, all in all.

JaronK

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:34:34 AM »

Could you provide a clearer idea of what you would like? I can see your going DMM Persist, but unless Spelldancer gives you that I'm not sure how your doing it. More details on 1 level Spelldancer dip as well please. 11's a good point for Archivist, but assuming Spelldancer doesn't give you turn your looking at Sacred Exorcist dip for turn undead to power your DMM.

Archivist is very GM dependant, so you need to clear with your GM if you can purchase divine scrolls from any spellcasting class. Mystic is a good one, and Ranger or Paladin are awesome depending on what your going for. The best buffs are still cleric and druid but there are some obscure divine PrC's that'll give you one or two spells at a lower level.

There's no DMM involved.

Here's how Spelldancer's level 1 ability (Spelldance) works:

Cast a spell while dancing around. It takes extra time to cast, but you make a Perform check to apply metamagic to free.

The only limit on it is that if you do it too much you take Con damage and become fatigued, and as a divine caster he can easily become immune to those (Sacred Vitality, Clr 3).

So basically, cast Sacred Vitality, persist any number of spells you like. It's sillier than even Incantatrix, but with less in-combat utility.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:00:39 AM »
Where is Spelldancer located?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Phaxi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »
Where is Spelldancer located?
MoF if im not mistaken.

On another note, exept for the hefty feat requirements of Spelldancer, what feats to take as an Archivist (planning to play one myself)?
We sit together, the mountain and I, until only the mountain remains.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 11:01:17 AM »

There's no DMM involved.

Here's how Spelldancer's level 1 ability (Spelldance) works:

Cast a spell while dancing around. It takes extra time to cast, but you make a Perform check to apply metamagic to free.

The only limit on it is that if you do it too much you take Con damage and become fatigued, and as a divine caster he can easily become immune to those (Sacred Vitality, Clr 3).

So basically, cast Sacred Vitality, persist any number of spells you like. It's sillier than even Incantatrix, but with less in-combat utility.

True.

Also considering a 1 level dip into Swordsage for Martial Weapon Proficiency and some interesting skills to use for a little flair, probably won't do it for the caster level hit though. If I could find an item that gives dodge :/ or a caster PrC.... or another Domain of my choice class would make it easier on the feats.

Right now it's Dodge, Combat Casting, Endurance, Mobility, extend[free from domain], persist, spellcasting prodigy, power attack = 7/7
(+a flaw = for weapon profiency?)

Feats come from, Human1, General1, G3,G6,G9,G12 and Archivist bonus at 10

Beads of Karma from SRD/DMG and Ankh of Ascension from MiC will be used to boost buffs to CL22

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
Knowledge Devotion is a great feat for an Archivist.  It's only up to +5 attack/damage, but it synergizes so well with your current knowledge abilities.

If you are the only healer in the group, it might be worth looking into the Touch of Healing reserve feat from Complete Champ, but then again, maybe not.  YMMV.

There are lots of goodies on the Druid, Paladin, and Ranger spell lists (Hunter's Eye for sneak attack, Lesser Restoration as a first level spell).  Also the Nentyar Hunter PrC from Unapproachable East.  They get Magic Missile as a 1st level divine spell.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
Don't forget tasty druid buffs!

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
If you can name and references the buffs it would help a lot.

So far it's looking like
lvl6 Superior Resistance 1hr/lvl +6 to all saves from Savage Species
lvl4 Magic Vestment 1hr/lvl on my +1 Animated Tower Shield for 4AC+4AC Bonus

I didn't look at many spells yet heh.

Also, considering dropping power attack/any weapon proficiency to focus on spellcasting o.o doubt it's worth it but advice is good.

Would be nice if there was a list somewhere with buffs and their duration >.>
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:54:05 AM by Takanaki »

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 12:07:13 PM »
Thanks, don't suppose there's one for Bards too? >_> Shujenga... bah, so many lists to look through for Archivist, it's a great thing to be able to do but i'll go crazy.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:43 PM »
Drifts of the Shalm (PHBII) combined with Bloodsnow (Frostburn).

Obscuring Snow and Snowsight (Frostburn)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 01:08:42 PM »
Thanks for all the help so far, with Druidic Spells like Bite of the Were-animal I can drop power attack from my feat requirements now, and I don't need any weapon proficiencies.

Sooo can anyone think of a good feat or two to boost spell DCs? Already taking Spellcasting Prodigy.

Possibly dropping Human for Kobold instead, would lose a feat, but gain it back by taking a flaw. Then get Dragonwrought feat from ROTD to boost all mental abilities by 3 points. For a casty type this seems like it could be the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:54:41 PM by Takanaki »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »
Ah, who doesn't love Dragonwrought Kobolds? They're like the antihumans. They get one less feat than a generic race, but look at all the stuff you get for it!