Author Topic: Playable Large magical beast?  (Read 3182 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Playable Large magical beast?
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
Any out there? Preferably with a low ECL. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Playable Large magical beast?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:59:26 PM »
I don't think so. I only know of a playable Small Magical Beast. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume Polymorph Any Object is not what you're looking for.

EDIT: I guess you could try to get a continuous item of Expansion (2 size categories) on the Small mb.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:05:23 PM »
I don't think so. I only know of a playable Small Magical Beast. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume Polymorph Any Object is not what you're looking for.

EDIT: I guess you could try to get a continuous item of Expansion (2 size categories) on the Small mb.

Are you thinking of the Beguiler? I think you're thinking of the Beguiler.

Low ECL? No idea. If you don't mind 4 RHD and +4 LA, you could always be a Unicorn....

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »

Are you thinking of the Beguiler? I think you're thinking of the Beguiler.

Low ECL? No idea. If you don't mind 4 RHD and +4 LA, you could always be a Unicorn....
Correct. Oh man, Beguilers are awesome. :D
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »

Do Awakened Animals count? The lowest Large ECL is 5 though.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »

Do Awakened Animals count? The lowest Large ECL is 5 though.

I didn't realize Awakened Animals had level adjustments printed anywhere. Where are those?

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »
Why would they need to have LA? Or do you mean that it's not playable, RAW, w/o an LA listing? Awakened animals aren't that desirable from a power standpoint, IMO. However an awakened animal gains 2HD, and the lowest HD for large size is 3 (in the SRD). Does the HD gained from the Awaken Spell count as advancing the animal? If so, you could get away with awakening a hyena or a wolf at 4HD.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:37:31 PM »
Why would they need to have LA? Or do you mean that it's not playable, RAW, w/o an LA listing? Awakened animals aren't that desirable from a power standpoint, IMO. However an awakened animal gains 2HD, and the lowest HD for large size is 3 (in the SRD). Does the HD gained from the Awaken Spell count as advancing the animal? If so, you could get away with awakening a hyena or a wolf at 4HD.

God knows I don't write this stuff Chemus. I got a pdf off the wizards site a while ago.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
Hmmm... a 3HD abrian (Fiend Folio) could work well - they have LA +1 and humanoid arms (so they may be able to wield weapons).

Now to take 15 levels of Dragonfire Adept, UMD a scroll of alter self to become a five-headed hydra, then take Momentary Alteration. :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:52:06 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 08:53:04 PM »
Hmmm... a 3HD abrian (Fiend Folio) could work well - they have LA +1 and humanoid arms (so they may be able to wield weapons).

Now to take 15 levels of Dragonfire Adept, UMD a scroll of alter self to become a five-headed hydra, then take Momentary Alteration. :D
Yay Tiamat?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »

Yay Tiamat?
Tiamat squared... and this.
My work

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 09:01:20 PM »
Aranea is level 7, it's from Savage Species.

I was going to suggest a Celestial Anthropomorphic Animal, but they're monstrous humanoids.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills