Author Topic: Fighter V Wizard (Stolen from 339 boards)  (Read 79074 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Fighter V Wizard (Stolen from 339 boards)
« Reply #340 on: July 22, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »
It's been done. It's called The Same Game Test. You can google it if you want.

Funny enough, the following is how we gauge level:

Quote from: SGT
    * Monk Balance Level - If a class wins less than 50% of the level 5 SGT, it is very likely a monk level class.
    * Fighter Balance Level - If a class wins around 50% of the level 5 SGT but less than 50% of the level 10 SGT, it is very likely a fighter level class.
    * Rogue Balance Level - If wins around 50% of the level 5 and 10 SGTs, and does not fall behind significantly on the level 15 SGT, it is very likely a rogue level class.
    * Wizard Balance Level - If a class wins significantly more than 50% of the level 10 and 15 SGTs, it is very likely a wizard level class.
Oh that's what that is ... hmm ... I'll hafta find time to review ...

Wizard 2 vs. Fighter 5 is what I've been saying around this thread.
I suppose an un-opted Wizard 5 might not win 50% of the level 5 SGT.
CO'ed Wizard 5 is a different story.

grautry

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: July 22, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »
doesn't have to be prepared for everything.

He just needs to be prepared for more than the fighter.

And this is the case. A decent - not even perfectly optimized or anything - spell list can handily deal with just about everything that your average DM can throw at you. Or, with Divination, be prepared for literally anything that is not psychotically overpowered in comparison to the wizard's expected CR(and with some cheese - even then). On the other hand, your average Fighter simply won't have the same sort of flexibility because at his best, he simply won't be able to match the power and the flexibility of your average spell list.

See, in almost all cases the discussions go like this: Fighter X is built using feats Y, items Z and uses tactics T. The response is almost invariably: then the wizard uses spell Z, X or Y.

Which can be more easily expressed thus: Fighters have builds. Wizards have spell lists.

That is all.

rubberduck

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • my stuff
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »
show a wizard prepared for everything you say?
hmm not on level one but wiz5/mage of the arcane10 order with spellpool has potentially each and every spell to his disposal.
i think at level 12 you have spellpool III
best online-comics i know: http://lfgcomic.com/ http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Looking for players? http://spielerzentrale.de/

me fail english? that's unpossible!
fear my new god! DARTH GOKUVERINE
poor literacy is kewl

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: July 22, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
hmm not on level one but wiz5/mage of the arcane10 order with spellpool has potentially each and every spell to his disposal.
Throw in SCM

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: July 23, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
I shoot your familiar
flies to high. as already stated earlier it could fly so high that you cant shoot it and then still drop stones or something on you
Don't things only drop 200 ft, or so, a round?
No. There is a limit, but it is (significantly IIRC) higher than that. And why does that matter, anyway?
Because if things only drop so far a round then I can either shoot the familiar or step out of the way of the falling object.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »
Do you have a source for this? I know in real life things fall at 9.8m/s^2, but I recall D&D having weaker gravity from a thread from years back.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

grautry

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2010, 05:31:22 AM »

Sure. But, while I don't have any objective evidence, anecdotal evidence(for me) seems to be that MatAO is one of those classes that I'll always take on "my next character", and besides, it's more of a Sorcerer PrC anyway. Additionally how many situations are there really that a Limited Wish or two, prepared for emergencies, can't cover?

But yes, adding to the point above, if you sacrifice some raw power for flexibility, you can, actually, have a wizard that's prepared for everything. Show me a fighter who can do that(without obvious bullshit like exploiting cheese loops).

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »
Do you have a source for this? I know in real life things fall at 9.8m/s^2, but I recall D&D having weaker gravity from a thread from years back.
Actually, that was a gigantic misconception from poorly written rules/searching abilities.

In DnD, everyone has regular earth gravity. The problem was people were referencing the rules for flying creatures that fall out of the sky (having greater air resistance because they are assumed to flap their wings while trying to get airborne again).
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

rubberduck

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • my stuff
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2010, 06:09:45 AM »
ok here it is: it can be found in the dnd FAQ page 112
Falling Speed
[spoiler]How far does a character fall in a single round? If my
griffon-riding character falls off his mount 300 feet up, how
long do other characters have to catch him?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:26:42 AM by rubberduck »
best online-comics i know: http://lfgcomic.com/ http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Looking for players? http://spielerzentrale.de/

me fail english? that's unpossible!
fear my new god! DARTH GOKUVERINE
poor literacy is kewl

Gunhaven

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something clever.
« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
Not advancing the debate of Fighters vs Wizards and just agreeing with everyone else who thought the video was awesome.
My first handbook: Leadership and Army Making  Always a work in process.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #350 on: October 20, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
So I was trying to remember where Empyreal Armor was. This thread came up on a Google search.

A core-only Wizard doesn't need to know he's fighting a Monk, his basic tactics against a random opponent are more than sufficient; Contingency (or Shaped Anti-Magic Field or Invisibility or Astral Projection or Foresight or whatever) means the Monk never has a chance to hit the Wizard, True Strike means the Monk's Touch AC = 1, Spell Penetration + CL boosters mean Monk's Spell Resistance = 1 and Monk's MAD means that his saves are 50/50 (and that he's spent so much money on his stats that his offense is still nil). So even if the Wizard hasn't used divinations and doesn't know he'd face a Monk (a completely valid assumption considering that no Wizard gives a fuck about Monks) and the Monk has been preparing for the fight his whole life, the Wizard still wins with two-three fingers. Trying is reserved for things that can do something other than complain about their bad breath.

Abbreviation: Monks make for great dancing monkeys. They even have perform in class. And their breath smells.

EDIT: What a spectacularly awesome video.

:lmao

And with awesomeness like this, I think I'll revive it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:55:07 AM by Sunic_Flames »
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
So it doesn't work on bracers then? That's too bad.

Edit: So I read all the fail. Pretty standard stuff, where the Wizard is just a normal guy doing a normal day's work and is not treating the Fighter or the Monk as anything special and might not even be aware of their existence beforehand whereas the Fighter or the Monk have devoted their entire lives to killing the Wizard. Literally, that's their sole purpose in existence. Everything they have done, are doing, and will do is aimed towards that singular goal.

And in typical beatstick vs God fashion, they still EPIC FAIL.

And yet despite this, there continue to be mouth breathing fuckwits who continually attempt to defend them.

It never ends, does it? :banghead
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:29:45 PM by Sunic_Flames »

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
No, it truly doesn't.

Handy Links

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #354 on: October 20, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
To be fair I oppose the method of against's tactics, and sometimes chime in with other stuff. After all magic has more weaknesses than most would think.
A: Generic unstated Wizard casts Mage Flare
B: Fool, my fighter is immune to that! See my build and behold it's immunities to 99% of the spells ever printed!
A: Did I say Mega Flare? _bullshit here_ and so you see he really used Eden's Eternal Breath!
It isn't a fighter vs wizard argument at all. It is TO blank vs here-is-the-stat-sheet-to-metagame-and-abuse-the-holes blank.
The first blank wins every time, even if it is a fighter and the second one is a wizard.

But every ignores that and goes wild with TO tactics on the wizard. Then all the fors are stupid enough to fall into it and post builds to try and counter it. Yeah not very productive at all, but hey the thread it's self was. COP out was killed here I believe.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #355 on: October 20, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »
Yeah, COP isn't a serious answer to any kind of problem in practical D&D.  The *real* solution to "zomg, I'm being attacked by a FIGHTER" is to cast something along the lines of Time Stop or Forcecage and Analyze Dweomer.  One round and you learn the active effects on them, and another minute or so you learn the effects of all the items they're wearing.  If you don't think a Wizard can't pin down even the best Fighter or Monk builds for something on the order of 12-13 rounds, you're not trying hard enough.  If all else fails, they likely have at least 3 maximized time stops available for casting.

Anyway, once that's out of the way you simply pull out the appropriate spell(s) needed to kill the unfortunate bastard and be done with it, or pick your favorite killing spell and use an Antimagic Ray to negate the item granting immunity to it (if it's a temporary buff, then it's even easier: blast him with an MDJ).  Afterwards, cast Rope Trick and hide for a few hours until you get your spells back.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #356 on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »
Don't need custom for antimagic, Antimagic Torq (or whatever it's called) is pretty cheap.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »
It produces a 1/day 10 ft emanation AMF right?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #358 on: October 20, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
Don't need custom for antimagic, Antimagic Torq (or whatever it's called) is pretty cheap.

Woosh!

That's the sound of the joke completely going over your head.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: October 20, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »
Honestly I think that Thunderdome-style Two Enter One Leaves threads miss and possibly mask a deeper problem with fighter/wizard game balance.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that a well-prepared fighter can take down a non-TO non-Schroedinger wizard exactly fifty percent of the time. (Yes, I know that's probably not the case above very low levels in even the best case scenario. Bear with me.) So we have our fifty percent one way, fifty percent the other - they're balanced, right? Each kills the other half the time.

Except they're not, because the fighter's entire class premise and strength is theoretically "this guy is good at killing things". The wizard's abilities include killing things, warping space, creating matter from nothing, controlling minds, discovering impossible-to-learn information, blah blah etc. For them to be balanced, the fighter has to be winning more than half the time, because winning fights is all he gets to be good at. The wizard really should be going "HOLY CRAP A FIGHTER" and doing his best to make sure the faceoff doesn't happen at all.

Needless to say, wizards don't go HOLY CRAP A FIGHTER. Not even in the most favorable arguments in favor of the fighter.

I dunno, I'm not breaking new ground here. For all my disagreements with Tome's worldsetting assumptions and decisions about what high-end play "should" be, this is a philosophical point where I agree with them and they've gone over it much more loudly and at length. This is just what bugs me each time I see a "fighters can totes kill a wizard if they do it right!" thread.