Author Topic: Divine "God" Seeks CO Critique: Hennerex the Crowd Controllin' Cleric  (Read 1640 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Intro
I intended to try a divine caster for a new campaign.  Having loved Wizards and, this campaign's DM having seen what I can do, I decided to play a divine caster or psion.  I enjoy casting spells more than fighting physically and my favorite spell types are Battlefield/Crowd Control, Buffs, and Debuffs in approximately that order.  In short, I want to be GOD without the spellbook or prayerbook.

Campaign & Character Constraints
-I'm using a 32 point buy.  Wealth and gear are standard for ECL1s.

-We begin NAKED and IMPRISONED at ECL1 with no guarantee of getting our pre-imprisonment stuff back.  Loot availability isn't guaranteed, though I'd prefer not to take Vow of Poverty.

-We probably won't get past level 10.

-The campaign will be set in Faerun.  I need a patron deity that offers the appropriate domains.  Greyhawk deities are also probably OK.

-No respeccing, rebuilding, or retraining.  Ever.

-Alignments Allowed: True Neutral and any Good.  I may be able to persuade my DM into allowing LN or CN, but I'd prefer not.

-No arcane casting for this character.  In short, no Wizard, Bard, Sorcerer, Wu Jen, Hexblade past 3, Warmage, Dweomerkeeper, or Mystic Theurge.

-No undead PCs.  We can still rebuke, command, and create undead minions.

-No flaws and probably no traits.

-All polymorph buffs are self-only.

Source Material
-Anything 3.5 or unupdated 3.0, pending DM approval.  No Tome of Battle because the DM thinks it's unbalanced.  (I mentally rolled my eyes when I heard this.)
-Anything from the Spell Compendium will require a "good reason" to take.  Fortunately, most SC spells are available from other sources.

BUILD: LG Male Strongheart Halfling Cloistered Cleric of Cyndor (Knowledge Devotion & Time, and Travel Domains)4/Church Inquisitor1/Cloistered Cleric+2/Divine Disciple (Destiny Domain)5/Contemplative (Travel Devotion & Protection Domain)6/Cloistered Cleric+2

Stats: 6 STR/14 DEX/14 CON/14 INT/16 WIS/14 CHA

Notes: I have the usual 14 DEX and CON.  I have +2 skill points per level for the times when I get only 2+INT mod skill points per level.  I have 14 CHA for 5 daily turning attempts at level 1.  My 16 WIS is the highest I could afford while not feeling like I got gimped.

Divine Metamagic: Quicken is so I can lay the smack down of two BCs per turn or emergency buff or heal.

I'm leaning toward this build because with an Incantatrix with Persistent Spell in the group, Divine Metamagic: Persistent seems less important.

-=LEGEND=-
Specific Feat
[Class Feature or Bonus Feat]
{Trait or Flaw}

1: [Devotion: Knowledge - Knowledge (planes)], Divine Metamagic: Quicken, [Domains: Time, Travel], [Domain Spontaneity: Travel], [Improved Initiative], [Lore], Quicken Spell, [Spontaneous curer], [Turn Undead: Destroy Undead Variant]
3: Extra Turning OR Yondalla's Sense
5: [Domain: Inquisition]
6: Extra Turning OR Yondalla's Sense
9: Extra Turning
11: [Domain: Destiny]
12: Craft Contingent Spell Extra Turning, [Native Outsiderhood!]
13: [Devotion: Travel], [Divine Health]
15: Extra Turning, [Poison Immunity]
16: [Domain: Protection]
18: Extra Turning

Skillz to pay the Billz
-Maxed Concentration - I wish to be cautious.
-Diplomacy 5 - Divine Disciple
-Knowledge (arcana)X - Maxed for Cloistered Cleric
-Knowledge (dungeoneering)1 - For Knowledge Devotion
-Knowledge (nature)X - Maxed for Cloistered Cleric
-Maxed Knowledge (planes) - Summoning
-Maxed Knowledge (religion) - Duh.
-Speak Language {while practical}[spoiler=Languages Learned in this Order]Base: Common, Draconic || SL: Auran, Celestial, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, Ignan, Infernal, Abyssal, Aquan[/spoiler]
-Maxed Spellcraft - IDing spells and prereqs
-Survival 5 - Self-sufficiency and synergy
-Tumble 1/2 - So I can use it

Skill Tricks
-Collector of Stories
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:20:20 AM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Divine "God" Seeks CO Critique: Hennerex the Crowd Controllin' Cleric
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »
Have I left y'all speechless?

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »
If you can get Eberron, taking the Sovereign Speaker PrC (Faiths of Eberron) might give you the extra domains you seem to crave. Also if you have access to the Dragonlance Campaign seeting I think they include an 'Artifice Domain', the highlights of it is that it grants Alterself and Polymorph.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »
I appreciate the input.  Divine Disciple, Contemplative, and Church Inquisitor grant extra domains, though these are specific (Inquisition) or chosen from my deity's list.

Does Sovereign Speaker allow extra domains from any source?

Speaking of which:

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »
It's kind of complicated, short version is you get a list of domains, maybe about 20, of which you can choose 9. You do lose two caster levels, and it does require a feat but it's worth the price IMO.

bitznarf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:52:20 PM »
I'm not so sure that losing 2 caster levels is worth it.  If you're aiming for alterself/polymorph, can you nab the Spell domain somehow for anyspell/greater anyspell?

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
Divine magician ACF can help you choose a few wizard spells. You should consider malconvoker, as summons can be used as a type off battlefield control.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 06:19:20 PM »
Divine Magician only grants Abjurations, Divinations, or Necromancies, none of which are especially in controlling crowds.

I see how excellent domain access may be worth the caster level loss.  I'll mull over my options again.  I loathe losing two caster levels, but one for Sovereign Speaker this time may be worthwhile since I get one new domain per PrC level.

Speaking of which:

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:25:08 AM »
I'm considering being a Naenhoon Illumian instead since they get mini-DMM at level 2.  Does Naenhoon affect Quicken Spell since Quicken and Naenhoon are swift actions?

So far, Strongheart Halfling seems best for my race, especially since 2 flaws and traits were allowed.  (Woohoo!)  I get a bonus feat, DEX bonus, and small size.

Speaking of which: