Author Topic: Optimising a Factotum  (Read 6115 times)

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Optimising a Factotum
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 08:47:19 AM »

Hmm, shuriken huh? I wonder,  you can use Minor Creation to create a large or huge shuriken that you can resize to normal via shrink spell or resizing enchantment. When you throw it : BooM!! Ra-shuriken  :D

It will still do very little damage... around 1d4 or something like that

Okay, no more Naruto gags. Not sure if there's a free way to get shuriken prof., maybe check with Tshern if he'll let you swap proficiencies on the grounds your characters from the East of the world.

if I can swap, that would be nice...
okay, these questions are to Tshren: Do I get the +2 to one stat, even in PB? Is it in addition to stat boosts at level 4th, 8th, etc.
how much poison do I need to minor create?
and also, it is 2 flaws max?
EDIT: and if I take the Dark Template, and buy it off, will I have catched up with the party in exp?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:27:56 AM by bogsnes »

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
Yes, 32 point buy and then +2 to one ability and level appropriate bonuses on top of those.

I don't think it's said anywhere, but I'll rule that 1/10th of a dose.

2 flaws.

Technically yes, but that might be a bit difficult now with the new house rule I made a few weeks ago. Player's don't gain XP per se, they gain a level for every two encounters. I'll find out how Bowen, our other LA buy offer, solved this and get back to you.

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 09:47:03 AM »
The way we did it with me and DM (he has the Phrenic template as well IIRC) was by saying that at character creation everyone had exactly enough XP to be level 12. If you wanted a template, you were allowed to use LA-buyback, but the XP used for that was taken from your starting XP total. That's why both DM and myself started with 10 class levels and count as ECL 10.

However, now that you mention that houserule again, Tshern, I just thought of something. With the traditional xp system me and DM would be able to catch up with the party, since we'd get more xp being lower level and all that (the whole 'experience is a river' concept).
Have you thought about how/if you're going to solve that issue with your houserule?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »
Okay, now I am pretty much finished with the skills: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=104746

Is there something I can swap for proficiency with shurikens?
I am going to have the Dark Template if I have catched up with the party, and if I don't, I'll just drop it...

I am going to have very little Inspiration with Master Thrower, but I think I can get away with it...

If I can swap shuriken proficiency for something, I think my feats will be:
 1 PBS
 F Precise Shot
 F Rapid Shot
 3 WF (Shuriken)
 6 Master of Poisons
 9 FoI or Knowledge Devotion (probably FoI)
12 Manyshot

If not, I will probably focus on IF with my Gnome Quickrazor (I will use it either way, but not so much if I throw), and I will not enter master Thrower...

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 02:13:21 PM »
Use Bowen's way.

I'll try to give you a XP pool for possible crafting between levels. This needs some work, but not  too much.

Handy Links

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »
I am not going to craft magic Items, if that were what you were thinking...

Is there anything I can swap for getting proficiency with shurikens without spending a feat on it?
I cannot finish the character fully before I know that (because it will decide if I will go with Master Thrower or not...

I don't think I will use the Dark Template, then...
It was mostly for flavor and Hide in Plain sight, but it isn't very important...

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
Buy a feat from a magical location and retrain it, I'll allow it.

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
3000 gp for Proficiency, not bad at all :)

Say Tshern, would you allow retraining for my Vile feats into something else or do I have to wait 'till level 15 for the DCFS? :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 05:02:13 PM »
Buy a feat from a magical location and retrain it, I'll allow it.

awesome, thanks  :) :D :)

will try to finish him now then...

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
are traits allowed (not that important, though)

and also, whisper gnome gives +8 Hide and +4 MS, how will this be on the sheet? +4, and with a extra +4 when I try to hide?

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »
I've just noticed that I am going to be awesome at skills, +9 or greater on most skill that are either Int, Dex or Str based, and with the ability to get +12 1/day...

This is going to be fun  :evillaugh :plotting :evillaugh

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »
Traits are fine.

Handy Links

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2009, 09:15:22 PM »

1/day/skill. And don't forget that you can get plenty of bonuses from elsewhere. +2 masterwork item bonuses, enhancement bonuses from items...of course, if you took one manifester level in something (might I suggest taking seer and getting a few nifty powers like call to mind, entangling ectoplasm, and precognition), it should boost your ability to make skill checks considerably. If you nab the Psicrystal Affinity feat, that's an additional set of skill checks that can be made using all of your ranks, an additional +2 for Aid Another, a free Alertness feat, and another benefit besides. Plus, you can use the psicrystal for scouting, night watch, etc.

Even though you're knocking down a level in factotum, and getting a somewhat limited manifester level, it will blow your ability to make skill checks sky-high if you take the right options and use them well.

Not to mention that you can take other psionic feats, such as Up the Walls. :D
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
The reason to why I take 11 levels is to get cunning surge, though... I won't let go of any more levels of Factotum now... but, I could need some help in choosing magic items as I am not so good at that (I did just pick some permanent items that looked good...)

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 10:39:45 AM »
1/day/skill.

I meant that, just said wrong, but yeah, you are totally right about it...

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »
HEY. Do you want to feel UNCOMFORTABLY VERSATILE? Then take Font of Inspiration a lot. use those actions to do something cool, like...

Use Magic Device. Also, you have a great way to use...

Manyshot. Or GREATER MANYSHOT. Shoot loads of arrows Abnormally Fast. Don't forget that you'll probably be the party sneak, so invest heavily in

Disable Device. You can take Tactile Trapsmith to add your Dex and Int to your Disable Device AND SEARCH. That's two stats!

Make use of your Spell-Like Abilities. Cast things like Greater Blink. It's like Blink... BUT GREATER!

and also, is Tactile Trapsmith really worth it??? to me it just seems like you are spending a feat on something an Item familiar would do very much better...

That's true. Item familiar does it better. However Item familiar is utterly cheese-tastic.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
I haven't got feats left for an Item Familiar anyways...

But I could really need some help with buying magic Items...

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 07:28:46 PM »

Whats your build look like now, feats, stats, etc, and we'll equip you to the nines. Maybe even the twelves if your good  :D

A simple answer of course is to read JaronK's equipment list; that man knows his Factotum.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »

Whats your build look like now, feats, stats, etc, and we'll equip you to the nines. Maybe even the twelves if your good  :D

A simple answer of course is to read JaronK's equipment list; that man knows his Factotum.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=104746