Author Topic: Help with a Pathfinder character  (Read 4669 times)

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
Re: Help with a Pathfinder character
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 01:57:38 AM »
Sadly I don't know of an archive, no. But if you track down their stuff and save it all in a folder you could pretend it felt official.
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »
Apparently sneak attack is supposed to work on much more things now, according to the design notes in the rogue section. Still, I don't trust the other party members to help me with my flanking or the Dex-denying, so yeah.

Woodrow - thanks for the build; I was looking for advice and you gave me that and more.

Sunic, Midnight_v - thanks for trying to warn me off Paizo (no sarcasm intended). It was food for thought which made me read through the PDF again more carefully.

juton - Iron Heroes had the rage token system for the berserker. For some reason Paizo's barb seems to be trying to imitate that. Granted Iron Heroes was not a perfect game by any means, but I kind of liked their system better.

Pretty much. Before you could get yourself able to do your moderate damage solo. Also, the sidebar might get missed. Rogues are still better off than the other beatsticks, because if you're going to have to be stuck with precision damage only, you at least need to be able to ignore immunes, and do things besides fight ever period. Thus me saying the beatsticks were made into gimp Rogues.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
Continuing the hating on Pathfinder, I'm really unhappy with the PF barbarian.

The problem with it is that you gain a lot of fairly useless abilities over time, and never really have enough rage points to use your useful ones on a regular basis. If you want to spam the really powerful stuff, you end up being a five-round-wonder. It's just not all that great, but as was said earlier - PF doesn't really "fix" the melee-magic imbalance at high levels. In my opinion, only tome of battle does this, but it does it by making melee a lot more powerful and giving melee something fun to do with standard actions without having to finagle themselves into a pounce ubercharge situation. But since it raises the overall power level of the campaign, many DMs disapprove.

I'm playing a melee character in a homebrew campaign that uses the pathfinder barbarian rules. What I've found it's good for is 2 levels of barbarian. That gets you enough rage points that you can spread them out over the whole day and rage a fair amount, without using the powers. The one power you get is the one that gives you a temporary speed bonus, because that's relatively cheap and when it comes in handy, it comes in REALLY handy. This way, I can rage for most of the important fights each day, and I don't "waste" my one rage for the day if I blow it the round before the wizard does something clever to incapacitate the crowd of enemies I was about to beat down.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »
I'm joining a campaign as a L8 character (the "Second Darkness" game, I think its called).

I've chosen to play a Sorcerer, Arcane Bloodline, but focused on Necromancy debuffing.

With the campaign traits, I have a net +4 Cha as a gnome, and can spam Ray of Enfeeblement, Empowered, as a L2 spell.  Improved Familiar for the Quasit is pretty kick arse too.  I also get lots of bonus spells known, which is pretty awesome.

I read through the melee classes... I see no reason to even consider them, even at low level.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »
Apparently sneak attack is supposed to work on much more things now, according to the design notes in the rogue section. Still, I don't trust the other party members to help me with my flanking or the Dex-denying, so yeah.

Woodrow - thanks for the build; I was looking for advice and you gave me that and more.

Sunic, Midnight_v - thanks for trying to warn me off Paizo (no sarcasm intended). It was food for thought which made me read through the PDF again more carefully.

juton - Iron Heroes had the rage token system for the berserker. For some reason Paizo's barb seems to be trying to imitate that. Granted Iron Heroes was not a perfect game by any means, but I kind of liked their system better.
Hey really... thanks for considering our opinions, I know I for one come off as abrasive from time to time, but really I'm just glad to be able to help.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"