Author Topic: Making a sorcerer for a new campaign  (Read 4754 times)

Loke

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Making a sorcerer for a new campaign
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 09:52:09 AM »
Mercantile is also a Free regional feat, so I Can only trade that for another regional feat. Only reason I took it was to get 300gp extra to buy the othyg hole as I doubt the DM will let me run off on my own to find one during the game.

so basically I spend all my money on the feat, and have a few gp to spend from FR starting equipment package.

From what I can see I have very little flexibility with my feats...I have to pick a meta magic feat at sixth so I can enter incantatrix at 7th...I could swap draconic reservoir with the metamagic feat, and do incantatrix at sixth.....

I could get sandshaper at 4th by dropping party face skills and draconic heritage crystal, and picking a dragon that has either know nature or survival (if any such excist), but I feel like i'll bring more to the party by being able to talk the talk over the extra spells sandshaper provides.

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »
Well, an extra level of sorcerer casting also brings extra spells known, as well as the other benefits.  It's never a crazy idea to max your casting level.

The dragonblood sorcerer substitution level at level 4 also gives you 4 extra spells known, so it's not a complete loss there, either.  Maybe you should focus on incantatrix.

Loke

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
So what we have so far then is:
Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake kobold
Sorc 1 Dragonwrought(1st), Draconic heritage(sub level 1), Mercantile background(house ruled free feat), Draconic rite of passage
Sorc 2
Sorc 3 Draconic Reservoir(3rd), Iron Will(Othyg hole)
Sorc 4 4 extra spells(dragonblooded sub level)
Sorc 5
Sorc 6 Extend spell(6th), Greater draconic rite of passage
Incantatrix 1
Incantatrix 2
Incantatrix 3 Persist spell(9th)
Incantatrix 4

Still unsure wether to drop persist spell, and go a different meta magic route. I guess I could pick up touchstone at 9th since incantatrix gives meta magic bonus feats IIRC and get sandshaper at 10th, but our campaigns rarely go that high level.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »
It's still a Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Desert kobold, right?

If all WotC rules are OK, are you able to use flaws? 

If you can, I'd shift extend spell to be a first level feat.  Take something like noncombatant.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:39:41 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Loke

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »
All WoTC is indeed in play, but none i our group has ever used a flaw far as I can tell. So not sure I want to open that can of worms....if I did, i would grab 2 flaws, and get touchstone+extend at level 1, freeing up 1 feat in the build and sandshaper at 4th or 6th :)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »
All WoTC is indeed in play, but none i our group has ever used a flaw far as I can tell. So not sure I want to open that can of worms....if I did, i would grab 2 flaws, and get touchstone+extend at level 1, freeing up 1 feat in the build and sandshaper at 4th or 6th :)

Well, you can always build the character twice, once with flaws and once without.  Send the one with flaws to your GM, and ask for him to check it over.  If it's OK, then no problem.  If it isn't, then you still have a pretty nice dude.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »
Being 3 levels ahead for a spellcaster is an amazing build.  On top of venerable kobold power boost I'd say you can't go wrong.

Loke

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »

Sorc 1 Dragonwrought(1st), Draconic heritage(sub level 1), Mercantile background(house ruled free feat), Draconic rite of passage
Sorc 2
Sorc 3 Extend spell(3rd), Iron Will(Othyg hole)
Sorc 4 4 extra spells(dragonblooded sub level)
Sorc 5

My char has levelled a bit and I have some money to burn at the magic mart

I have a healing belt and a rod of lesser sculpt as magical items at the moment and a Mwk tool of spellcraft

5200gold left to spend on various items, but i'm really wondering what to do with the rest...max I can spend on one item is 3500gold so no stat boosters are allowed.

Any ideas? I'm pondering a Hewards Handy haversack but other than that i'm fairly blank.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »
One awesome way to expand the spells you can cast is by using Runestaves (Magic Item Compendium). The effectively add up to 6 spells to your spells known, and you can switch them out every morning for a different staff.

Loke

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
Runestaves are indeed awesome, but a bit out of my budget atm. Maybe once we loot some dragon hoard i'll buy a couple! :)

I seem to recall something about making custom runestaves.....is the rules for that in MiC as well?

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 12:26:09 AM »
Runestaves are indeed awesome, but a bit out of my budget atm. Maybe once we loot some dragon hoard i'll buy a couple! :)

I seem to recall something about making custom runestaves.....is the rules for that in MiC as well?

Yep the rules for making runestaves are in MIC. (Towards the back of the book, IIRC)

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 04:58:08 AM »
If you are optimizing that much, I'd trade wings of cover for alter self.

While wings of cover is awesome, it really just allows you to avoid 1 attack - alter self can help you win multiple battles, scout, add to mobility, etc.

Take wings of cover later, when you can afford to give up the versatility.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 02:54:53 PM »
Getting the touchstone feat early requires some DM help, 10 XP and 500gp.

Not related to the build, but Touchstone requires 10 XP and either DM help OR 500 gp, not both. The 500gp is if you want to just buy the Macguffin to get the feat, sorta like magical locations. Just wanted to clarify.

BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]