Author Topic: Rainbow Beguiler (cheese entry)  (Read 3975 times)

8w_gremlin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Rainbow Beguiler (cheese entry)
« on: January 06, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »
Skeleton build so far, I would like some help in fine tuning if at all possible.

"Walks Softly" Human beguiler who comes from the lost jungle temples of the Coutals. (someone has too?)

Assumptions:
  • Rainbow Servant gives 10/10 spell progression; text trumps tables, in the most current English language version
  • Sanctum + Precocious Apprentice = 3rd level spell

Human
Beguiler 1: Feats H:still spell, 1:Precocious Apprentice, F:Sanctum spell, F:Able Leaner
Rainbow Servant 1-10
Mindbender 1 level dip

This gives us;
  • Spontaneous beguiler casting with all cleric spells on our spell list (exactly like warmage + rainbow servant)
  • Air, Good, Law Domains
  • other rainbow servant goodness
  • Telepathy 100'

But what then?

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
Re: Rainbow Beguiler (cheese entry)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
you could go incantatrix for more meta magic goodness, you would not get the -1 spell level until post epic though.

ChristopherGroves

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:32:27 PM »
Warmages go Sacred Exorcist and fish DMM.  Beguiler, not so much.

Is this a TO build?  You can early entry after 4 with a very playable character, but unless you start higher than 4th level or so it's wicked hard to actually play a build with all the early entry conditionals.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
Hi,

For a build like this, I'd recommend Heighten + Versatile Spellcaster + Sanctum Spell instead of precocious apprentice.  It costs one more feat, but Heighten + Versatile Spellcaster would genuinely get you spells 2 levels earlier. 
See: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2816.msg86467#msg86467

Also, the beguiler handbook may have things for you:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322.0

Here's a beguiler build I made:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=365.msg7179#msg7179

For the "cool casting" option, I'd recommend Shadowcraft Mage ... you'd have to give up able learner and still spell, but it gives you even more flexible uberness.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
Or, finish with Nightcloak. Sure, it's no Incantatrix, but Int to Saves is sweet.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
War Weaver? From Heroes of Battle. Meshes well with spontaneously casting every Cleric Spells in existence. Int is arguably a better casting stat. Helps with skill points, etc.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »
Contemplative (pick up portal domain, since the spells are great)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »
Contemplative (pick up portal domain, since the spells are great)

What am I missing? It's a good suggestion, but why Portal, when Time/Hero/Spirit/Destiny/Spell are so much better?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
The Portal domain grants banishment, a prereq for Sacred Exorcist.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
The summon elemental reserve feat is nice to get acess too, gate and the teleports are lacking on the cleric/beguiler lists as well.

Spell domain isn't so good IMO, since anyspell doesn't function and disjunction zaps your loot, there isn't that much good on the list, and the granted power is pretty bad.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:47:32 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
Am I the only one that uses Anyspell to mean you use the slot you cast it from to store the new spell? That's how all my home groups play it, which makes it simply Divine. :)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »
Am I the only one that uses Anyspell to mean you use the slot you cast it from to store the new spell? That's how all my home groups play it, which makes it simply Divine. :)
It does specify it has to be prepared in your domain slot.
Planetouched Handbook

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »

I'm aware. Explain how it works for Favored Soul or Archivist who gets it with Initiate of Mystra, though? Regardless of what it says, that's how we use it, since it makes sense.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
Same interpretation.  It's a house rule, but a reasonable one.  (Particularly in the light of the Initiate of Mystra feat). - David
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 09:40:44 PM »

I'm aware. Explain how it works for Favored Soul or Archivist who gets it with Initiate of Mystra, though? Regardless of what it says, that's how we use it, since it makes sense.
It doesn't.  Same as how if you get a domain with an ability based on cleric level, by strict RAW you don't get anything.
Planetouched Handbook

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
In the player's guide to faerun it says (for Initiate of Mystra):

"Special: The anyspell and greater anyspell spells also appear on the Spell domain list. With this feat, you can cast them as regular cleric spells, not just domain spells."

What does this mean, if you can only cast in domain slots?

Best,
David

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
You cast it as a third level spell using your normal cleric spells.

You prepare an arcane spell in your third level domain slot. Presumably this overrides whatever you currently had there.
Planetouched Handbook

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »
Well, technically, the slot doesn't have to be empty. You can read it to say it uses the slot, sure, but even if you cast the Anyspell itself from the Domain Slot, the spell you prepare is now placed into a spent spell slot.

So that means you cast Anyspell from any slot, and it'd go into your Domain Slot, RAW. I suppose that might mean you need one to cast it, but it's not stopping you from casting it multiple times a day.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
You cast it as a third level spell using your normal cleric spells.

You prepare an arcane spell in your third level domain slot. Presumably this overrides whatever you currently had there.
RAW, that is true.  RAW, it is also true that an erudite 20 can cast 11 different powers of each level, per day.  Sometimes RAI is clear enough ... - David

EDIT:  Also, who says only 1 spell can fit in a domain slot?  *Shrugs*  (Admittedly, also silly)

[/spoiler]

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
Instead of Incantatrix, if you can use some third party, the Metaphysical Spellshaper might work nicely here.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein