Author Topic: "Are you sure you want to play that?"  (Read 5452 times)

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
"Are you sure you want to play that?"
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »
Some months ago, I proposed in other forum a build to represent a strange character, one that you wouldn't see in an everyday D&D game. Now, I bring him to you. Say hello to...

A Charging/Bull-rushing/Jumping build oriented around spikes.

Main problem: It needs a House Rule: unarmed strikes+armor spikes = non-light weapon

Race: SpikerPlH

Stub: WarbladeToB 10, Swordsage (unarmed variant)ToB 2, monk (overwhelming attack variant)UA 6, Ranger (shapechanging variant)UA 1, Barbarian (Lion Totem variant)CC 1.

lvl
 1 monk 1 -> Power attack (overwhelming attack monk extra), Battle JumpUE
 2 monk 2 -> Improved Bull Rush (overwhelming attack monk extra)
 3 Barbarian 1 -> Leap Attack CV
 4 Ranger 1 -> Track (extra ranger), Favored Enemy: Construct
 5 monk 3
 6 monk 4 -> Shock TrooperCW
 7 monk 5
 8 monk 6
 9 Warblade -> Brutal StrikePH2
10 Warblade
11 Warblade
12 Warblade -> Improved Sunder
13 Warblade -> Run (extra Warblade)
14 Warblade
15 Warblade -> Superior Unarmed StrikeToB
16 Warblade
17 Swordsage
18 Swordsage -> Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike)
19 Warblade -> Improved Initiative
20 Warblade

Noteworthy Stance: Leaping Dragon Stance
Maneouvers: Mainly Tiger Claw ones. I will post them later.

Noteworthy Equipment:
-Boots of Swiftness: Constant Expeditious Retreat, Constant Jump(CL 9), +10 competence to jump -> 52.000
-Feather Fall ring
-Golden Ring: Stone Skin over the caster every time he puts it on. CL 9.

Any mean to get unarmed attack and/or spikes as non-light weapons without using house rules?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:07:38 PM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: "Are you sure you want to play that?"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
What about a warforged juggernaut, with that feat... I think it was called "Blood-spiked Charger" or something.

Don't forget the seven power stones of bend reality...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »
Any mean to get unarmed attack and/or spikes as non-light weapons without using house rules?
Sadly, none that I can think of.  I couldn't find anything, but is a slam considered a light weapon?

What about a warforged juggernaut, with that feat... I think it was called "Blood-spiked Charger" or something.

The problem with something like a warforged juggernaut is the ACP you take for Adamantine Body.  This would hurt the Jump checks, but maybe not so much that it matters...
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
Warforged would make a good Metal Sonic, come to think of it... as long as you can get a fly speed
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
I'D probly go for an anthropomorphic hedgehog if i were you, dunno why....

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »

Warforged would make a good Metal Sonic, come to think of it... as long as you can get a fly speed
I looked at Blood-spiked Charger when I created this character. While the flavor was right, at least for the first ability, the rest were useless without a spiked shield, and the feat require weapon focus with both spiked shield and armor spikes. So, i'm sorry but I will have to pass on that. The idea of using a warforged for metal sonic looks great, though. But we will have to change the build. Monk doesn't look like a good choice. Maybe Blade Dancer, from oriental adventures? With some duskblade levels it could be done, and we could represent his electric attacks with Shocking Grasp. Also, Blade Dancer has Air Walk as a Spell-like ability, IIRC, which could double as his fly speed :P.

Fair enough :D

Sadly, none that I can think of.  I couldn't find anything, but is a slam considered a light weapon?
Mmmm... good question. I can't find any place where it says that a natural weapon is light or not. Anyway, if a natural attack is allowed to use power attack, the build would change a lot. Focusing on strikes would be logical, then :P.

The problem with something like a warforged juggernaut is the ACP you take for Adamantine Body.  This would hurt the Jump checks, but maybe not so much that it matters...
This build has about +90+str to jump. I can afford losing a few points, I think.

I'D probly go for an anthropomorphic hedgehog if i were you, dunno why....
My savage species doesn't have an anthropomorphic version of a hedgehog. If you can point me to where I can find the statistics for one, I would be glad :P. However, I suspect that it won't have a very high speed...
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »
Mmmm... good question. I can't find any place where it says that a natural weapon is light or not. Anyway, if a natural attack is allowed to use power attack, the build would change a lot. Focusing on strikes would be logical, then :P.

Natural weapons are considered light weapons, so they can be finessed. However, they can also be used to power attack normally, as if they were one-handed.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »
Natural weapons are considered light weapons, so they can be finessed. However, they can also be used to power attack normally, as if they were one-handed.
That does make sense as I've seen several monsters with a slam attack and a -5 Power Attack factored into their stat block.

I know you didn't want to use warforged, but they do have a  natural slam attack.  I don't remember about spikers though.

Can you Power Attack with a monk or swordsage's unarmed strikes?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:09 AM »
That does make sense as I've seen several monsters with a slam attack and a -5 Power Attack factored into their stat block.

I know you didn't want to use warforged, but they do have a  natural slam attack.  I don't remember about spikers though.

Can you Power Attack with a monk or swordsage's unarmed strikes?

Yes. Though generally it is not a good idea due to MAD and mid BAB = already low accuracy.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »
Yes. Though generally it is not a good idea due to MAD and mid BAB = already low accuracy.
I'm just guessing, but I figured Power Attack was the reason the OP wanted an unarmed strike to be a one-handed weapon.

If that's the case, then he probably doesn't need to change his build around.  If not, I'm curious why it needs to be a one-handed weapon.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 01:06:59 PM »
I'm just guessing, but I figured Power Attack was the reason the OP wanted an unarmed strike to be a one-handed weapon.

If that's the case, then he probably doesn't need to change his build around.  If not, I'm curious why it needs to be a one-handed weapon.

That's the reason :P. The only one, in fact. Then all's right. I'll do Metal Sonic too, since some people have recommended it. And I need to create an item to simulate the seven emeralds :P

BTW, do you have any "Are you sure you want to play that?" build? We could do some strange builds, like characters adapted from shows/movies/books/games, or just bizarre characters we happen to create :P.

Someone want's to give a try?
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
Mind flayer swashbuckler?

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

O.o yep, really bizarre character. But the fun part is trying to optimize it to competent levels.
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 08:30:46 PM »
*Raise thread*

O.o yep, really bizarre character. But the fun part is trying to optimize it to competent levels.

Human

STR 12 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 8

Psychic Warrior 1:  Psionic Weapon, Illithid Heritage
PsyWar 1/Swashbuckler 1: Weapon Finesse
PsyWar 1/Swashbuckler 2: Illithid Grapple; Grace +1
PsyWar 2/Swashbuckler 2: Expanded Knowledge (Mindlink); Boost STR
PsyWar 2/Swashbuckler 3: Insightful Strike
PsyWar 3/Swashbuckler 3: Illithid Grapple
PsyWar 3/Swashbuckler 4:
PsyWar 4/Swashbuckler 4: Boost STR
PsyWar 5/Swashbuckler 4: Illithid Grapple x2
PsyWar 5/Swashbuckler 5: Dodge +1
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 5:
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6: Track; Boost STR
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 1
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 2
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 3: Illithid Extraction
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 4: Boost STR
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 5
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 6: Illithid Skin
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 7
PsyWar 6/Swashbuckler 6/Slayer 8 Boost STR

.... Just because I already had a Psy/Swash concept. 
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:55:16 PM »
Dwarf Swashbuckler 3/Monk2/Swordsage1/Fighter1/Duelist7/Dervish4

I have no idea how you'd qualify for that, but you get bonuses to hit and damage with slashing weapons, and add your int and dex to damage. Also add your int and wis to AC.

Dwarf is there just because it's much funnier if you're a dwarf.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »
Holy crap, last time I posted I didn't display the picture.  :lol I just got that...

What about goddamn Wario?

Dwarf Monk2/Barbarian4/Fighter1/Frenzied Berserker10/Drunken Master3

Improvised Weapon: Two Handed weapon(Shoulder). Shock Trooper.

That's obviously just a stub, I'll update later.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 04:07:21 AM »
How'd you get monk and barbarian in the same build? The great monkbarian confuses me.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 04:12:01 AM »
There is a variation which does not require Lawful. Plus, you don't lose Monk abilities when you become non-Lawful. You just cannot gain levels in it.