Author Topic: World's Longest Dungeon CO Diary  (Read 16258 times)

Aldgar

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: World's Longest Dungeon CO Diary
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 03:31:59 AM »
Right now, I don't have access to IRC and cannot join this lovely campaign of yours because of this.

Still, A decently built kobold cleric with the kobold and artifice domains should be pretty neat.

You could even swap artifice for planning, take two flaws and go for DMM-persistent.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
Looks like my next feat might be multiattack, assuming I qualify. If not, I don't know what to do.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 01:54:58 AM »
Get Darkvision?

Do you have any way of getting it? Do we need to find an item or something? Because Bard has it, and I'll be getting it at level 3. Having the same vision range as our enemies might be good.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »
Hey Wood. For your totemist, at level 3, I think you want to start shaping the Basilisk Mask.

Don't know how many you have, to shape, but check it out:

30ft Darkvision per point of essentia, so we can lose the light entirely, and if you bind it to the brow eventually, grants you blind-fight too. That will probably be useful at level 9, who knows, we might be facing advanced Darkmantles.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2009, 04:42:44 AM »
Mineral Warrior template. Lolth-Touched (alignment change).
Are we talking about healing during combat or just down-time? If it's just down-time, that is easily fixed.

I'd love to join in any campaign.

Edit: I'd love to play a skill-monkey...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:32:03 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
I was technically supposed to be the healer. I've got a dragonborn water orc crusader 1/psychic warrior 1, but if you want to heal, I can just go straight psychic warrior, instead. Assuming Mr. DM doesn't have any objections (to either of us).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »

Crusaders make excellent healers in WLD. Even if you ve a dedicated healer in the party, take that Crusader level. Its that sexy.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Aldgar

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
Well, personally I'd suggest that you ditch psychic warrior and go full crusader, too..since they are really, really awesome.

But in the end, it's your choice.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
Melee types tend to be pretty boring with no casting to spice them up. I haven't seen any of the first level maneuvers that seemed worth taking, beyond Crusader's Strike, and that only because it lets you heal allies.

I'm only taking a level in crusader because the group needs a healbot.

Here's my character sheet, by the way.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:52:24 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
Melee types tend to be pretty boring with no casting to spice them up. I haven't seen any of the first level maneuvers that seemed worth taking, beyond Crusader's Strike, and that only because it lets you heal allies.

I'm only taking a level in crusader because the group needs a healbot.

Here's my character sheet, by the way.

This is your reasoning? Seriously look at some of the higher level stuff. At level 9: White Raven tactics, turn a swift action into a standard action.

At level X, touch attacks. ect. So they don't have color spray, they do get cool stuff, just not as much at level 1.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »
I can see how some of the WR maneuvers can be useful.

I just don't see how they could be interesting.

Slight difference.

I'll add some crusader to my psychic warrior for some utility during a fight, but it's not going to be the main focus of the build.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:19:19 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »
I'll add some crusader to my psychic warrior for some utility during a fight, but it's not going to be the main focus of the build.

That's a terrible idea. If you don't want to play a Crusader, then don't take any levels of Crusader, and just be a Psychic Warrior, (and also get out of the game you were hired to heal for) but for god sakes, if someone wants a cleric they don't want a someone to take 2 levels of cleric at level 10. Don't build a shitty character just to not satisfy the party needs.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2009, 11:59:07 PM »
I'm planning on taking a level here and there when I could get a higher level maneuver anyway, so it's not like I'm missing out on anything.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:01:21 AM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Aldgar

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »
Well, in fact, you are missing out on several things.

1) ->Steely Resolve progression

Steely resolve is simply amazing, allowing you to soak up damage and return it with interest. Four levels of crusader lead to steely resolve 10, which is *a lot*.

Combined with Stone Power, you can effectively gain *FAST HEALING* 8 at level 4, and 10 at level 5, assuming you take that much damage in melee.

2) -> Initiator level, fast maneuver progression, stances.

Crusader's strike scales with your initiator level. The same can be said of many other strikes and stances.
Taking Crusader levels is the fastest way to learn more maneuvers, to expand your range of known/granted/readied maneuvers and available stances, ultimately leading to more versatility and staying power.

A 3rd level crusader can take Mountain Hammer as maneuever and tunnel through stone walls in the WLD with his bare fists if he needs to, digging around traps, obstacles, etc...
A 5th level crusader gets White Raven Tactics, which is immensely powerful.

3) ->Defensive Class features
At 2nd level, Crusaders get Cha to Will saves. This isn't much, and probably won't do anything if you dumped cha, but the option is there.
More importantly, at 3rd level, Crusaders can reroll a failed save once per day. THAT is really, really useful.

4) ->Energizer Bunny traits: Crusaders, unlike Psychic warriors, do not have a finite supply of powerpoints. They can continue to use and reuse their maneuvers over and over and over again, as many times as the situation requires it.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »
I'm planning on taking a level here and there when I could get a higher level maneuver anyway, so it's not like I'm missing out on anything.

I'm taking another level of Wizard every now and then to get new spells, so it's not like I'm missing out on anything.

I mean, my Rogue 14/Wizard 6 totally casts well enough to do all our wizardly things.

No. Wrong.

Either make a Crusader 20 or make a Psychic Warrior 20, but for god sakes don't make a Psychic Warrior 12/Crusader 8. What you are missing out on is everything level appropriate.

Being a bad Theurge is not good.

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
You do not have a base fort of 4, Lycan. Fractional BaB/Saves.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »
BTW, check out the 'Hellreaver' in Fiendish Codex II. Particularly, look at the 'Divine Succor' (haha, suxx0r) and 'Heroic Sacrifice' class features. Bind Naberius, duh!

If I were to join, I could play a new character I'm making that is Whisper Gnome Dragonfire Adept-base. Darkness invocation + Blend into Shadows feat from DotU from level 1 for Hide in Plain Sight early on. Knowledge Devotion + Draconic Knowledge + Trivial Knowledge (RoS, reason why I chose Whisper Gnome as race. If not Whisper Gnome, Tinker Gnome? (DLCS, even more dragony)). Becoming Dragonborn would aid my Breath weapon with its CON-score increasing trait.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »
Is anyone checking the actual characters? We need a healer, we aren't asking for seven other people to join because we can't do damage or tank or something. We need a healer, and that's about it. Preferably one that can do so at level 2. So Binding Naberius is probably not the best source.

I know I can't speak entirely for the DM, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want new people, and he's only accepting a fourth, a month from now, so that we can heal.

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »
I really don't want new people, but I am accepting a fourth one, and I could care less if it's a healer or not. The group might, but I don't.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »
How would you make a crusader a better healer, pray tell?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]