Author Topic: LvL 11 dragoon thri-kreen ideas wanted.  (Read 4248 times)

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
LvL 11 dragoon thri-kreen ideas wanted.
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:05:17 PM »
Reward: one intarwebz
The situation
[spoiler] There be this lad in my party I'm DM'ing for. Last night they took on a greater Stone Golem, programmed to attack the smallest oponent. His elf archer (which was in mechanics an annoyance to the party) got criticaled for massive damage, upon which he natural 1'd his fortitude save. The party took the closest thing to a whole piece of his body to the city and, after I explained there could be such a thing as reincarnation, the elf fully opted for it. So it happened that after muyo practice rolls, everyone just rolled once and we'd pick the coolest result (major DM fiat, but it was much fun when each started suggesting, since I rolled "00 0"). I made him roll a d4 to see which of our four MM's the race was gonna come out from, and then Gawain rolled a d300 (after much working out how) and we immediatly found the Thri-Kreen. Since the duskblade archer thing wasn't working out and he's still a newbie in most ways, I allowed him to take a more matching build for his thri-kreen.[/spoiler]

The question:
He wants a dragoon (final fantasy themed high jumper with spear/lance that drops the pain from above) build.
He rolled his stats as 16/16/16/16/15/14, he has bought of his LA and is LvL 11. We use the feat/hp/favored class rules from pathfinder (we started out with pathfinder rules, but I quickly took back all the crap but keep testing if the better hp for casters, easier favored classes and more feats are doable or not. Feat progression = 1 every odd level. All books are allowed. I'm trying to figure out an additional rule that demands less calculating, for the sake of the party, where dual wielding spears/lances will use normal bab, but rolling twice for each attack (two x hit=double damage, one hit= normal damage). Any ideas on that are welcome too, as are any suggestions to make less attacks but increase their worth. Thanks in advance.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: LvL 11 dragoon thri-kreen ideas wanted.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
One thing Vidar forgot to mention, is that player's inborn laziness. He didn't take the effort to properly level up for at least one level, and he didn't care to bother with Knowledge Devotion and Arcane Strike, even after I explained the benefits. Note: He was convinced of the benefits, he just didn't update his sheet.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »
Battle Jump, Leap of the Heavens, Power Attack, Leap Attack, some way to boost your Jump checks through the roof (Item Familiar, Thri-Kreen Racial, Competence Item, Masterwork Jump boots etc.), Sudden Leap maneuver is nice for Swift action jumping, Lion Totem Barbarian 1 for Pounce and Whirling Frenzy, that PrC from Oriental Adventures, Blade Dancer IIRC, that removes the cap on your Jump checks, Valorous Impaling Vaulting Halberds (use the Piercing end, or use Lances or Longspears if the DM allows extrapolation the price of Vaulting and adding it to another weapon than a Halberd), UMD (Extended) Rhino's Rush and (Extended) Wraithstrike and store the wands  in Wand Chambers, maybe add Dragonborn with Wings aspect for the Dive attack...

There's plenty more, just check the handbook ;)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:23:17 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »
Well, we are aware of these things, but I'm sceptical about them. Or, rather, those things and that player, for the same reason why Vidar's cat won't do anything useful with cutlery at dinner time. Damn ye, evolution for cheating her out of opposable thumbs!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
If that's the case, than let the guy play a commoner...

This build basically only involves PA multipliers and Charge damage multipliers, they can be typed out in a handy table or something, so that you can look up wat your PA return and your charge damage multiplier are for each kind of charge (Battle Jump, Leap Attack, BJ & LA combined etc.)...

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Vidar

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »
Ah yes, I helped the guy make a standard barbarian charger once. I made various tabels with "what if you charge and jump, what if you do damage on the first round, what if you charge AND it is the first round, what if...". And that didn't go really as planned.
 Anyway, other ideas/suggestions for a thri-kreen are welcome too.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
The point with a Thri-Kreen is, if you want to optimize it's strong points, you have 2 options really:
1: Battle Jump/Leap Attack Dragoon utilizing it's insane Jump bonus
2: Multiweapon Fighting

Both aren't the easiest of paths to pursue if you aren't willing to put at least some effort in, and that doesn't seem to go well with this player as you guys describe him.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »

Vidar

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

At least my girlfriend picked the path where she anounces a spell and just says "WHOOOSH", leaving math for the lesser classes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 03:12:00 PM by Vidar »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
She's a keeper :P

Vidar

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »
She's a keeper :P

No, a wizard, we don't use the keeper class, waaaaaay too broken.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 03:33:45 PM »
Hehe, nice one :P

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »
I believe she actually knows more about her spells than she lets on.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »
Yeah, Dragoon is pretty much a thri-kreen's only use. That and multiweapon fighting sneak attack fighting.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 05:08:23 PM »
Or Skirmish combined with Pounce ;)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 05:29:37 PM »

Yeah, preferably combined with PA with a pair of weapons and one two handed weapon and some extra bonus damage. Just so he doesn't get confused. :p

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »

Yeah, preferably combined with PA with a pair of weapons and one two handed weapon and some extra bonus damage. Just so he doesn't get confused. :p

Are you kidding? Most of the people I know are still having trouble with Two-Weapon Fighting.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 06:29:47 PM »
He, point taken :P

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »

Are you kidding? Most of the people I know are still having trouble with Two-Weapon Fighting.

Most I know as well.  :P

Terronus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »
What about speed of thought and up the walls?  If you have a pp reserve (I think thri-kreen do) then there's no mechanics except that he has to be psionically focused... at which point he gets a +10 speed (and +4 jump) as well as the ability to run up a wall for his movement and make a jump.
People that fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes. -Abigail Van Buren

He that never changes his opinions, and never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. -Tryon Edwards

None but ourselves can free our minds. -Bob Marley

Funny D&D vids.  Picking up where Dead Alewives left off.