Author Topic: Underappreciated PrCs: The Runesmith  (Read 17464 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Underappreciated PrCs: The Runesmith
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 05:18:40 PM »
The rune-casting has the advantage of getting rid of somatic components, which helps with using a two-handed weapon and casting duskblade spells such as ghoul touch.  Also, you can share some pretty decent spells with allies, and you don't lose any CLs while doing so.
No it doesn't. Taking a hand off your weapon is a free action.

Ninja'd. By another European drunkard no less. Cheers, Bowen, let us continue forever!

Handy Links

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 05:19:12 PM »
Damn guys, I was just going to say that and you both ninja'd me before I could even start the post!

JaronK

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
Hehe, we be awesome :P
Cheers, Tshern ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 05:21:54 PM »
Damn guys, I was just going to say that and you both ninja'd me before I could even start the post!

JaronK
Dual ninja'd by European drunkards.

Go, go Bowen!

Handy Links

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
Damn those drunken European drunks!  ...especially if they're from Holland.  They like being damned.  ;)

JaronK

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »
Damn those drunken European drunks!  ...especially if they're from Holland.  They like being damned.  ;)

JaronK
Netherlands, he might not be from Holland. I believe you have a reference there, but I am missing it and drowning it to a pool of whiskey.

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 05:42:48 PM »
Uhm, what?
Yeah, officially it's the Netherlands, but most Yanks call it the Hollands/Holland none the less :)

Also, all I have here at the moment is beer :(

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
That's because Europe is perpetually in a state of World War II to us. That way we are always the super special awesome good guys.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 07:27:48 PM »
That's because Europe is perpetually in a state of World War II to us. That way we are always the super special awesome good guys.
Why the fuck is that? Finland was actually fighting with Nazis so the USSR didn't kill us all. Then we dumped Germans, threw them out of the country, whistled innocently, got busted and had to pay reparations.

Handy Links

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »
Why the fuck is that? Finland was actually fighting with Nazis so the USSR didn't kill us all. Then we dumped Germans, threw them out of the country, whistled innocently, got busted and had to pay reparations.

I was just saying why we call Netherlands Holland. It was mostly a joke. But American education really doesn't mention the Netherlands for anything after WWII.

Finland. Well I don't think US History education ever actually mentions Finland as anything other then, that country up there.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
I know you were joking. I was not offended, I was amused.

They mention Finland at all?

Handy Links

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

It's on all the maps. It's listed as a country involved in WWII. That's about all I remember it actually saying.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »
Hey, I was just refering to dams.  It was a pun.  You know, to keep the water out?

And yeah, we Yanks like thinking in terms of WWII.  It makes us feel all warm and squishy and good inside.  It's much better than thinking of, I dunno, certain more recent events.

JaronK

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 12:15:02 AM »
There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

ChristopherGroves

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 12:35:39 AM »
There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

LOVE THAT QUOTE

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 01:11:20 AM »
Actually, I don't think I've ever heard of this Finland. Is it new?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 01:33:32 AM »
I think it's where the Swedes do their fishing. They also export hockey players to the States.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 02:13:40 AM »
I like the idea of an Unseen Seer / Runesmith combination.  Share Hunter's Mercy w/ a heavy duty ranged combatant, for example, or grave / wraith / vinestrike w/ the Rogue when it's important, or any of the new creature-specific polymorph subschool w/ your lowest leadership-based followers.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 05:13:51 AM »
I was just saying why we call Netherlands Holland. It was mostly a joke. But American education really doesn't mention the Netherlands for anything after WWII.
Formal education, no.  That said, it's every frat boy's dream vacation locale thanks to the informal education they receive about it.   ;)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 06:48:34 AM »
My stoner friends were absolutely livid when I went to the Netherlands and Belgium for a 2-week trip with my best friend and we never got high in Amsterdam  :P  I kinda figured that there was always too much stuff to see and do to sit around and get high though, especially when I can do that back in California anyways. 

It was the same with the hookers part of town in Amsterdam...it's weird and different and kinda cool, but just going to the beach back home, I can watch much finer girls without the same creepy vibe.

Getting back to the topic, I'd forgotten that taking your hand from a weapon is a free action.  Still, I think it's a reasonable assumption that a DM might not allow a character to do so with Channel Spell, given that you're casting the spell simultaneously as you attack.  Though 99% of DMs probably wouldn't really care whether or not a spell had a material component anyways =P

Unseen Seer/Runesmith doesn't sound half-bad to me depending on the group, though you'd lose another CL getting heavy armor proficiency.