Author Topic: PvP Lvl 8 vs 6/7 sugg. needed  (Read 4634 times)

StPeteGamer

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: PvP Lvl 8 vs 6/7 sugg. needed
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 10:13:10 PM »
Well he is about to lead the group down a very hazardous path for purely selfish reasons as we have a world shaping goal I find this short sighted and stupid so if he does not agree with me I will have to put him down...
Cannot leave him alive because folowing his path will still put us at risk...
What if you don't follow his path?  What if you all say "Your idea is stupid.  Have fun.  Bye." ?

Failing that, I agree that attacking him in is sleep is a good option.  Multiple Hold Persons that can be quickened is a good idea.  In theory, you could get of four of these in two rounds if he keeps using action points.

As I said it is better for me RP wise if I do it as openly as possible and for a clearly stated goal.  Honestly if I thought there was any chance he would win I would do him in his sleep, but I do not think a rogue 1/fighter 5/ blackguard 1 can take 7th level cleric and a 6 HD skeleton.  I was just looking to make as smooth as possible so I would not expand a lot of assets incase I have to take action against someone else, which I do not expect. 

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »
But if he's asleep, you can do a CDG anyway.  No need to wait for a hold person.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:10:19 AM »
But if he's asleep, you can do a CDG anyway.  No need to wait for a hold person.
The OP said the DM uses action points (or something along those lines) that would let the guy boost his saves a couple of times that day.  This forces him to use them on Hold Person.

Originally I asked the OP why he'd use Glitterdust and Hold Person, and that's the reason why.  He wanted to force him to make multiple saves to blow through his boosts.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:12:08 AM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:42 AM »
oops.  Double post.

Damn clicking Quote instead of Modify...
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
Just CDG with a scythe when he's asleep. You don't look as badass, but who's gonna say that to your face?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »
This is an evil campaign. If his party members think that he might kill them in their sleep, they might consider killing him to remove that possibility. If he calls the other guy out and just totally wipes the floor, they'll know he's deadly but they won't necessarily be worried because he called the other guy out and took him in 'fair' combat.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Just because he's upfront about the confrontation doesn't mean he has to be fair.

Make him blow through his points that morning, while he's still asleep. Sneak up to him and cast something that would ruin his day if it were a wandering monster, and see if you (or one of your allies) maybe can't cast a silent image of some sort of monster (like maybe a mind flayer or something) that could teleport away if it managed to dominate someone on a failed save.

Make sure whoever is on guard sees the illusionary critter before it "teleports" away.

Stack the odds in your favor. Misdirection is fun!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:37:38 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »
well you do have action points as well and the level difference is enough that you get 2d6 to his 1d6 on d20s.  Also spell recall would be a good use of your points if you feel like you need to have more spells at the ready due to the Ranger/MoMF. pulled the action point info from UA section of d20srd.org so if you are using a different version this could be wrong.

I really need to start playing in a group that uses the right rules i screwed up 2 rules in 1 post because i got used to how they run things. :facepalm
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 04:15:44 AM »
You know, a mindless undead loses its class levels when it becomes one, so you would most probably be stuck with a 1 or 2 HD minion (hardly threatening).

At higher levels, a Skeletal Hydra can really go a long way in terms of damage (especially with the Corspecrafter feat series). For now, an animal with Pounce and lots of natural attacks or a high strength should do fine. Generally, combat-wise, I find that zombies are much better. Although they only get a single standard action each round, their increased strength and hit dice make up for it in terms of survivability. Furthermore, a zombie gets a bonus to its natural armor too, whereas a skeleton's natural armor is set based on its size; that's something you want to watch out for.
Dragons. Pffft.

Schrodinger's Cat - The Revolution against the Gods of Dice
Low-Level Handbook - Still under Construction

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »
This is an evil campaign. If his party members think that he might kill them in their sleep, they might consider killing him to remove that possibility. If he calls the other guy out and just totally wipes the floor, they'll know he's deadly but they won't necessarily be worried because he called the other guy out and took him in 'fair' combat.
Of course, there's nothing to keep the evil party from being intimidated by his combat prowess and then deciding to kill him in his sleep to avoid a fair fight too.  That's the danger with working with evil PCs: you can never really trust them.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]