Author Topic: Jiffy Con Boston Sat 3/21/09  (Read 3197 times)

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Jiffy Con Boston Sat 3/21/09
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:39:11 PM »
This is a re-print of an Email from one of JiffyCon's organizers. The BGs will be there, these events are always a blast.

We hope you can make it to the next JiffyCon Boston (well, JiffyCon Somerville really). :) It will be on Saturday March 21st, hosted by the Boston StoryGamers. There is more information at the site:

http://www.jiffycon.com

If you're up for running a game, we'd love to have you do so. Contact Nathan (n.d.paoletta@gmail.com) or Dev (dev.purkayastha@gmail.com) to set that up.

Have a good end of the winter. Hope to see you sometime soon!

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Jiffy Con Boston Sat 3/21/09
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »
I'm so excited for JiffyCon!  I can't even express how awesome it is!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »
I'm gonna be there, snoring up a storm on a Brill's couch the night before.

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:34:44 PM »
This event was a good time, well organised and well attended.

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »
Indeed. I had wonderful Cambodian food and got to be recorded (along with Joshua A. C. Newman) for a guest appearance on The Brilliant Gameologists.

Oh, and I played fun games too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:03:47 PM by Robert Bohl »

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
I had a blast.  I played Mouse Guard which I've decided I love and can't wait to play more of and then a playtest of Time & Temp- you are a nothing temp worker traveling through time to ensure history is as written. 

We also met Emissary!  And there were no fights!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
It was a true christmas miracle. I didn't fight with Josh, I became Grendal, and I had sushi! It was great meeting you guys!
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

okeefe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
I'm glad you had fun, Meg!

That was actually my first time running a con game and my first time running Mouse Guard.  I'm looking forward to doing this again.  :D

I slightly screwed up the handling of multiple combatants during conflict resolution, but I think the fallout for our game was minor.  You compare the per-team declared actions using the table to determine if they are Independent or Versus tests.  If two teams on the same side have the same kind of test (that is, both Independent or both Versus) then one team has to help the other.  We were doing this slightly wrong, in that I was only requiring this when the teams had both picked the same action.

For example, say the enemy picks Attack, mouse team A picks Defend and mouse team B picks Maneuver.  Against Attack, both Defend and Maneuver are Versus tests.  This means team A has to help team B Maneuver or team B has to help A Defend, even though they picked different actions.  This is interesting in that the players can determine which action they prefer now knowing the enemy's action!

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:08:33 PM »
Here's the con report I put on my blog:

On the way out, after dropping my son off with his mom in Boston heading up to Lowell to stay at the home of The Brilliant Gameologists, with whom we were going to stay, I recorded a carterview (this was the weekend for portmanteaus) with Joshua A. C. Newman for the new "Talk To Me Now" segment of The Independent Insurgency. We talked about some play techniques we had been using in the "Human Contact" series of In A Wicked Age... we've been playing in with Meguey and Vincent Baker. Looking forward to putting that one up.

Friday night, Joshua and I were the first guests ever on an episode of The Brilliant Gameologists' podcast. I'm pretty excited to hear that episode come out. It was a lot of fun. We laughed a lot and we had moments of serious-talk. I started to develop a cold that night, but it's starting to abate now.

On Saturday, I ran a game of Misspent Youth with Josh from the Brills, Jonathan Walton, and Dev Purkayastha. Jonathan and Dev were co-running the event with Nathan Paoletta, so it was kind of them to fill out my slot. We played in a game where the Authority was the Department of Homeland Security, on the hunt for AI cults and cracking down utterly on civil liberties. The game was set in a post-crash-of-the-gambling-industry-due-to-AIs Las Vegas, and the kids were a skyrodding crew of flying car racers. Tons o' fun.

In the afternoon slot, I played along with Joshua, Meg from the Brills, and a few others in Epidiah Ravachol's game in development, Time and Temp. You're time-traveling temp workers (only uninteresting, historically unimportant people can be time travelers) trying to fix history. We went back to recover from Beowulf showing up late to Hrothgar's hall. I played a former short-con artist, plucked out of 1982 and distressed at the lack of profession in this new crew. Again, lots of fun.

Afterwards, Eppy, Emily Care Boss, Joshua, and I went to this excellent Cambodian restaurant called Elephant Walk, then Joshua and I raced out to Providence to pick up my kid. I was back in my home in Leeds by about 2:30 am. It was a great weekend.