Author Topic: A PC that don't need rolls (much...)  (Read 3249 times)

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
A PC that don't need rolls (much...)
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »
Situation:
[spoiler]
a- Group of 4 players
b- I'm the DM (and i wanna be a player)
c- all other players do not want to DM except one
d- the "New DM" ignore all rules

Examples of how d works:
-You only hit in a roll that he thinks is good. No matter the modifiers you have.
(A 10th level fighter hitting a troll would only succeed in a 15 or higher, even if he would miss only in a 1, he creates all the CAs in the moment)

-Touch attacks are treated as normal ones
- NPCs never fails savin throws, unless he wants them to do (very rare)
[/spoiler]

As you can see, i need a character that can suceed without needing the dice too much.

I've heard that the most effective characters (if we take off the dice factor) are GOD wizards, bards and dragon shamans.

In fact, the GOD doesn't work in his games because:
1- his minions never fail checks
2- ignore illusions (they always fail to work)
3- touch attacks and area spells are subject to simply "not affecting the x level 1 goblin"
4- walls of X are simply broken or melt/fall apart etc.

So this leaves me with the bard and dragon shaman

I'm seeking help with the PC i could become:
Besides these classes, wich more work without depending on rolls either from enemies or from himself?  :scared

Guys, i'm not asking for a build or anything like that...just give me some hints like:

"the x class would be playable"

"y spell never misses"

and so on...

You're the best within the rules, if there is ways to make this game more playable i'm sure the trick is in your hands

Also, Phoenix...i removed my posts as it seemed to be a problem (probably for more people than you)
And what you said is pretty much....thruth  *shrugs*
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:24:49 PM by Maximiano »
Good gaming for you.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: A PC that don't need rolls (much...)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
The way you are telling it, it doesn't matter what you play. I have played games like the one you are in right now, and it wasn't possible to do anything in game. A bard usually doesn't have to roll to much, but just because he helps his party, leaving the dice throwing to his pals. And they still have to be useful.

I suggest that you try to speak with him. He looks like he doesn't know well the rules. That, or he is just being lazy. Try to explain him that in a game all the players need to have fun. Tell him that you don't like to be "guided", that you would like to have something to say on the future of your character. And if you still can't achieve anything, either leave the group, take back the DM throne and use some of his own medicine on him, or, if you are decided to play as a player no matter what, try to guide the game to a non combative game. It looks like you could do better in an interpretative game with a master like that.

Anyway, if you still prefer playing a normal D&D game, a GOD is still a better option. Try the non-usual ways. Solid Fog is a no spell resistance, no save spell that limits your enemies movement to 5' per turn. On a high level group, calling spells (planar bindings) can be pretty powerful. OR just use divination plus teleport to go through your enemies without fighting them. Be creative.

However, I still think that the best thing you could do is talking with him, and, if he is still an ass, just leave the party until he understand that in a game everyone has to have fun.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »
Stop bumping your own thread.

Your DM makes up rules.  Nothing you do can change that.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »
Really, shadeseraph summed it up pretty well in his post.

Normally, I'd say stick with a GOD character, but if he does things like have hordes (whatever) just ignore stuff like solid fog, then there's not really going to be a good character for you to run.

You just have to talk to him.  If he's not going to use the rules, then why does he play D&D?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
This sort of thing happened today with me. Our group had cast darkness on a ruin elemental, so our DM, deciding to reward clever tactics with a poke in the eye, had it "blindly" smash a nearby pillar, causing a collapse.

Everyone in the zone except me rolled natural 20s on their Reflex save. I rolled a 4, but had a total result of 10.

Now, according to the rules, I should have taken 8d6 and been buried, taking 1d6 nonlethal each minute. However, our DM didn't feel like looking up the rules, and took the advice of a guy who was hanging out to watch the game. On this guy's advice, I took 16d6 damage. Twice what I normally should have.

Amazingly for a wizard, I survived (left at -6). However, again ignoring the rules in the DMG (or being too lazy to look them up), the DM said I was dead before they could dig me out.

I was rather annoyed. If I had died because of a sucky roll, I can understand that. But when I get ad-libbed into taking about twice as much damage as I should have, then my one shot at survival is tossed casually out the window, I'm inclined to be a bit touchy. Hell, I'd have been alive now if the guy had taken the simple effort of pulling out the damned DMG, turning to the index, and finding the word "cave-in".

He does this sort of thing often, and I can't do much about it. Very few other party members are optimized much, and if I try to make up for the slack, I get incredulous looks. I can't do much about it, so I just try to keep the party going despite him ad-libbing.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:12:17 PM »
I have played under a DM who does that. He even thinks the Reserve Feats are overpowered, and thus banned them before hearing my argument against his judgment.

Trust me, don't play in the game. Start your own and make a DMPC that fills a missing party slot.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:33:22 PM »
Yeah, I'll also say don't bother playing in this game. It's obvious that the DM doesn't like to 'lose' even though D&D really isn't about winning and losing or players vs DM.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:53:42 PM »
Dragonfire Adept never needs to make an attack roll.

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 01:39:06 AM »
What is this dragonfire thing?

It's a bard alternative feature?

I do not own dragon magic, nor does any of my friends...
Could anyone give me a hint?
Good gaming for you.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 01:51:26 AM »
Do a google search on Dragonfire Adept Handbook, more and better info than I could provide you

Armads

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
But the NPCs will always make the saves against the breath weapon, so you'd be dealing half your normal damage (or none at all, if you meet rogues).

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 06:31:12 AM »
Definitely talk to your DM. Gaming at a table with friends is just that - GAMING. Games, by nature, should be fun. If one or more people are not having fun, it's time to talk it out. If he won't budge and you aren't having fun, then it may be time to walk.  But make sure to give talking a shot first.  I mean the fact remains that even with a Dragonfire Adept, the DM could simply have x goblin ignore your breath weapon, so that's... yeah...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Hammergun the horrible control freak DM who wants to turn D&D into freeform.

Freeform is fine, but freeform =/= D&D. I have yet to see a single person who tried to make D&D into freeform that did it for another purpose than making the game about performing fellatio on the DM (or cunnilingus depending) so that your character can do what you want them to do as opposed to having your efforts arbitrarily screwed with..
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Squirrelloid

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »
When you're playing Cops and Robbers with someone who gets to decide their side never gets hit, its not a very fun game.  Welcome to arbitrarium.
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels. -Chip 4:2

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »
When you're playing Cops and Robbers with someone who gets to decide their side never gets hit, its not a very fun game.  Welcome to arbitrarium.

Thank you for using the example I was going to use next. Beat me to it.

...How did you get -1 gamer fu?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]