Author Topic: The Totemist Handbook  (Read 116810 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: The Totemist Handbook
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2010, 01:34:56 AM »
A monk can flurry as a full attack and then follow with any extra attacks and and finish with any natural attacks with a full round action.  The text from Girallon Arms says that the arms mirror the movements of the real arms.  Does that mean that you could apply that to the unarmed attacks and get double unarmed strikes as well as being able to follow with the claw attacks?

I doubt it would fly with most DMs, but I see no particular problems with this (save for the Girallon Arms having a clause about using the claws after attacking with your hands, pardon the pun).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
More arms does not allow for more Unarmed Strikes from a Monk. This is because a Monk's unarmed strikes don't even come from his hands!

Critters

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
I know it was kinda addressed already but i wanted a bit clearer answer on if extra claw attacks stack.  I want to play a shifter totemist, so if i am shifting, have girallon arms and another meld that would grant claws, do all the extra claw attacks stack to make 8 claw attacks or would i only get 4 claw attacks?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2010, 02:23:28 PM »
I know it was kinda addressed already but i wanted a bit clearer answer on if extra claw attacks stack.  I want to play a shifter totemist, so if i am shifting, have girallon arms and another meld that would grant claws, do all the extra claw attacks stack to make 8 claw attacks or would i only get 4 claw attacks?

Only 4.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »

Only 4.

I agree. By strict RAW, the Girallon arms give you one primary and three secondary claw attacks. Now you can replace that one primary by two primary claws from another source. Common sense would tell you that now you also only have two secondaries left from Girallon arms, because two of the girallon claws are actually attached to your physical arms, which are also holding the other claws.

However, strict RAW is often another story. Barring prohibitive clauses ("no other attacks") the wording on anything granting natural weapons is often very weird.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2011, 07:23:42 PM »
Is Touch of Golden Ice useful for an Exalted Totemist?  And more importantly, would it apply to the attacks from the Manticore Belt?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »
Is Touch of Golden Ice useful for an Exalted Totemist?  And more importantly, would it apply to the attacks from the Manticore Belt?

1: Yes.
2: Unsure. Ask your DM. If you are, weigh your options about how powerful you want an Exalted Totemist to be.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
Alrighty, thanks.

How would the Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Savage Species of course) interact with the Manticore Belt?  Would the belt count as a single natural weapon, thus the cost of the amulet would be fairly reasonable?  Assuming that is the case, what would some of the best enhancements be?  Seeking?  Collision?  Force?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
Alrighty, thanks.

How would the Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Savage Species of course) interact with the Manticore Belt?  Would the belt count as a single natural weapon, thus the cost of the amulet would be fairly reasonable?  Assuming that is the case, what would some of the best enhancements be?  Seeking?  Collision?  Force?

The Natural Weapon part is debatable. It really doesn't hurt to allow it, but there is a strong argument against it.

The unquestionable augmentations for the Masticore Belt are Bardic Music and the Sighting Gloves soulmeld. A Dragonfire Bard is a Totemist's life-brother.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
Yeah, a Dragonfire Bard would certainly be handy to have around.  Though I hadn't noticed the Sighting Gloves before.  Thanks!

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
Talking about dragons, Soulmelds from Dragon Magic seems to be pretty awesome; first level totemist with Claws of the Wyrm and Dragon Tail can have 3 natural attacks: 2 1d6 claws that don't suffer penalty for using both of them at once, and draconic tail for 1d8. Funniest thing? If you have another claw attack with bigger damage dice, Claws of the Wyrm automatically scale up, and investing essentia in them gives your claws attack +x enchantment bonus, where x is invested essentia. Without any chakra binding.
Sadly, to shape any of these, one need dragonblood subtype. Another eason to play Dragonborn, I suppose. Just need to convice my GM to refluff them from scaly humanoid dragons to cute dragon-girls. :P
Which kind of saddens me, because I was almost sure that my pathfindery Totemist-Egoist will be Elan...
Unless there is any easy way to temporarily get Dragonblood Subtype, just in time for meldshaping, avaiable to 6th level character  ???
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:37:01 AM by Nemo »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
Except the tail can only be used as a standard action attack... IIRC.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2011, 03:18:51 AM »
Talking about dragons, Soulmelds from Dragon Magic seems to be pretty awesome; first level totemist with Claws of the Wyrm and Dragon Tail can have 3 natural attacks: 2 1d6 claws that don't suffer penalty for using both of them at once, and draconic tail for 1d8. Funniest thing? If you have another claw attack with bigger damage dice, Claws of the Wyrm automatically scale up, and investing essentia in them gives your claws attack +x enchantment bonus, where x is invested essentia. Without any chakra binding.
Sadly, to shape any of these, one need dragonblood subtype. Another eason to play Dragonborn, I suppose. Just need to convice my GM to refluff them from scaly humanoid dragons to cute dragon-girls. :P
Which kind of saddens me, because I was almost sure that my pathfindery Totemist-Egoist will be Elan...
Unless there is any easy way to temporarily get Dragonblood Subtype, just in time for meldshaping, avaiable to 6th level character  ???

The best Totemist race with Dragonblood would be Dwarf or Dragonborn (Insert race that gains more than it loses).

Brainpiercing is half-right: Both of them are standard actions to attack with (an oversight that was never corrected, or intentional because they don't require the Totem).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
my dm and I have been trying to figure out why the chimera gets rated so low on its totem meld.

Its a full attack action, not a full round attack. Like a chimera they are a set of primary weapons. So having secondary claw weapons can still be applied.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to take the feat from savage species where you can wear an additional magic item, because you have an additional limb while using the totem meld of the chimera.

And if the chimera is in crown, and bound to totem, could it also be bound to crown?

And if it is in crown and bound to totem but not crown, can i wear magic helm?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2011, 07:30:56 PM »
Full round attack isn't an action, there are full round actions, which take until the beginning of your next initiative count, and there are full attack actions which uses both your move and standard actions in a round.

No, soulmelds aren't limbs, though they may look like it.

Only if you are a level 11+ totemist, because they get that ability then

Yes, you can use magic items as long as you aren't bound to that chakra. The totem chakra doesn't occupy a slot. You can also take the split chakra feat or whatever.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:18 PM »
@McPoyo, you got that confused. A full round attack is an action. See Shadow Pounce and Heat Death. A full round action takes your turn. A one round action takes your turn and the rest of initiative.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
@McPoyo, you got that confused. A full round attack is an action. See Shadow Pounce and Heat Death. A full round action takes your turn. A one round action takes your turn and the rest of initiative.
You are correct. Posting when distracted ftl.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2011, 12:46:21 AM »
So that means?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2011, 01:06:36 AM »
Nothing. It's still a bad meld.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »
I'm not seeing it though. People seem to just say its a bad meld because it can't gain enhancement bonuses and only like the gorrillian arms because they are making six claw attacks with four arms.