Author Topic: The Totemist Handbook  (Read 116854 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: The Totemist Handbook
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2010, 03:20:45 PM »
Wait, the only feat that requires is Willing Deformity?

Aside from the Disguise Ranks, that's dirt-cheap for anyone. Elder Evils and all...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Straight up ridiculous. Every single natural attack becomes Save or Paralyze.
Soul Eater is nice as well :smirk

I actually made a gestalt build that went like this

non-psionic thri kin/ Warblade/Soul eater// totemist

Warblade was somewhat of a filler and for some tiger claw manoubers, I couldn't figure out how to get girallon windimil flesh rip thoug...
Nice :)

I've got a Beguiler (the race) Rogue/Barbarian/Totemist/Soul Eater running around in a PbP :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »
So, I was just messing around with my head, and I started thinking about how to really get some mileage out of the Manticore Belt. Then it really hit me: the Necklace of Natural Attacks.

+1 Soulbound Collision Explosive is the starting deal, and we go from there. Considering how many attacks a Manticore Belt Totemist gets, it's fairly easy to optimize. Then I thought of something stupid. The Vampiric enhancement.

Then you add in the Therapeutic Mantle, Rage Claws, and Flyby Attack (which you get for free). Let's have some fun with this.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
So, I was just messing around with my head, and I started thinking about how to really get some mileage out of the Manticore Belt. Then it really hit me: the Necklace of Natural Attacks.

+1 Soulbound Collision Explosive is the starting deal, and we go from there. Considering how many attacks a Manticore Belt Totemist gets, it's fairly easy to optimize. Then I thought of something stupid. The Vampiric enhancement.

Then you add in the Therapeutic Mantle, Rage Claws, and Flyby Attack (which you get for free). Let's have some fun with this.

Necklace of Natural attacks (end of page) would be very expensive with all of those natural attacks, as the cost is multiplied by the number of natural attacks you want it to affect. On the other hand, depending on the wording for Manticore Belt, it might only count as one natural attack. I don't know because I don't have MoI.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »

Necklace of Natural attacks (end of page) would be very expensive with all of those natural attacks, as the cost is multiplied by the number of natural attacks you want it to affect. On the other hand, depending on the wording for Manticore Belt, it might only count as one natural attack. I don't know because I don't have MoI.

That's just it, we've previously established that the amulet is perfect for the Manticore Belt because it's a single weapon that launches multiple ranged attacks. The end result is murder on anyone within the range limit.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »

Splitting is where the money is, too, and Aptitude so you can get any number of feat abilities to apply.

I did a build like that that tried to optimise per shot damage without going too heavy on the Totemist levels, actually. It was stuff like Targetteer H&R Fighter Swift Hunter with Crossbow Sniper. 2.5x Dex plus 6D6 on something like 12 spines per round. And that wasn't even counting bonus damage from enhancements.

A_Shadow_of_Life

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »
(Edited, posting elsewhere)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:54:44 PM by A_Shadow_of_Life »
:lovefirefox

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2010, 03:31:09 PM »
Might want to add Soul Eater (BoVD) to the PrC list.  Totemists make extremely terrifying Soul Eaters with barely any effort.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »
I saw no mention of the Darfellan (Stormwrack) race as an option.  Thoughts?  STR bonus + natural Bite attack + built-in Swim speed seems at least moderately useful for a Build-Your-Own-Monster class.

EDIT: While I'm at it, thoughts on Black Blood Cultist for a Totemist?  No soulmeld progression sucks, but piling up natural attacks alongside INA and Rend seems like good times.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:14:20 PM by InnaBinder »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
I saw no mention of the Darfellan (Stormwrack) race as an option.  Thoughts?  STR bonus + natural Bite attack + built-in Swim speed seems at least moderately useful for a Build-Your-Own-Monster class.

EDIT: While I'm at it, thoughts on Black Blood Cultist for a Totemist?  No soulmeld progression sucks, but piling up natural attacks alongside INA and Rend seems like good times.
And Savage Grapple.  Can't forget Savage Grapple.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Zemyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Rampant Changeling Fetishist
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2010, 06:49:45 AM »
Changeling is an option for Totemist, specifically because of the Warshaper PrC.  (If you haven't noticed, I really like that PrC.)

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
If it was not for the Endurance prerequisite Steadfast determination looks like a good feat for totemist as it allows you to completely dump Wisdom. I am not sure if it is worth it but I don't consider my self much of an optimiser.
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Xavius

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:38 PM »
The Kobold class was mentioned in the beginning... How would I go about optimizing a kobold totemist for a campaign? I have access to all of the books, and am curious as to the exact build to get the most out of the kobold.
Stat distribution, feat choices, advancement ideas.
Basically I want a kobold killing machine. I'd like to see both options of the flyby murder machine and the armed murderer with extra arms... so... who's got ideas?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2010, 01:14:40 AM »
The Kobold class was mentioned in the beginning... How would I go about optimizing a kobold totemist for a campaign? I have access to all of the books, and am curious as to the exact build to get the most out of the kobold.
Basically I want a kobold killing machine. I'd like to see both options of the flyby murder machine and the armed murderer with extra arms... so... who's got ideas?

That's sort of a running gag with me, but it can be practical. Use the Unearthed Arcana variant kobold that gets the Con penalty changed to Wis, grab Weapon Finesse, and Bind the Kruthik Claws for their Acid damage (or go Manticore Belt, but that's going to have a lower damage output). Dipping Scout helps if you use the Manticore Belt, while going Swordsage will make the Kruthik Claws better.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Xavius

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2010, 11:55:37 AM »
ok... so what's the best race/build to make the completely optimized manticore belt totemist?

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »
ok... so what's the best race/build to make the completely optimized manticore belt totemist?

Strongheart Water Halfling, if allowed.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »

Water isn't a template, it's a variant race. And it's only applicable to the PH+MM races, so there's no Water variant of the Strongheart Halfling.

It's actually between Azurin and Dragonborn Water Orc for the Manticore Belt. Azurin if you need the feat (and are going to dip Scout), Orc if you are going pure Totemist.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »

Water isn't a template, it's a variant race. And it's only applicable to the PH+MM races, so there's no Water variant of the Strongheart Halfling.

That was my interpretation as well, but I've seen strongheart water halfling used and advocated before,  so YMMV.

It's actually between Azurin and Dragonborn Water Orc for the Manticore Belt. Azurin if you need the feat (and are going to dip Scout), Orc if you are going pure Totemist.

I don't think the STR is really worth it.  You need +4 to STR for a measly +1 damage.  Better to boost DEX for to hit, and get bonus damage elsewhere.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »

That's sort of a running gag with me, but it can be practical. Use the Unearthed Arcana variant kobold that gets the Con penalty changed to Wis, grab Weapon Finesse, and Bind the Kruthik Claws for their Acid damage (or go Manticore Belt, but that's going to have a lower damage output). Dipping Scout helps if you use the Manticore Belt, while going Swordsage will make the Kruthik Claws better.
Hmm... Kobold Totemist 2/Ranger1/Scout4/Totemist OR Ranger rest. Bind Landshark boots, get skirmish damage and some other stuff to boost jump checks so you can reliably hit 20 (Leap of the Heavens to be able to do it standing).  But then there is really no point to doing this as a kobold.

Either Azurin for the feat and essentia, or something really meaty is usually better.

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2010, 01:25:51 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Straight up ridiculous. Every single natural attack becomes Save or Paralyze.

I know this is kinda old, and I am performing a bit of necromancy here, but I thought it should be pointed out this does not work. The Paralytic slime ability specifies that it works on their psuedopods, not on any natural attack. The wording is explicit that the slime is only on the psuedopod, and there is no reason to think that it would extend to any other attacks. Also it specifies that you change your hands into these psuedopods, hence, you would actually lose any claw attacks that you might have from your hands.

Overall this is a cool class, but it does not really do much to benefit a Totemist.