Author Topic: BGs Go to PodCamp Boston!  (Read 3728 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
BGs Go to PodCamp Boston!
« on: October 28, 2007, 07:58:53 PM »
Josh and I went to PodCamp Boston yesterday, October 27th.  (Zeke had to be all wussy and work). 

http://www.podcampboston.org/

It was interesting and we each got some good advice on marketing, legal issues, and branding your podcast. 

It did, however, make me afraid for the industry.  Podcasting is becoming a corporate tool and it sounds like a lot of folks want to use their podcast to make boat loads of money on advertising and make the "industry" of podcasting more uniform, with Nielson like ratings and all. 

Could be a good thing, but it raises red flags for me as well. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 08:01:54 PM by Meg »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

adam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Tech support
    • Email
Re: BGs Go to PodCamp Boston!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:53:58 PM »
It's one of the best and worst things for us, really.

The biggest thing that podcasting is lacking now is exposure.  People are largely uneducated about how to get and consume podcasts.  Let the industry giants educate people on how to do it.

Just like blogging though, the cost of entry is still free.  The people who will make out like bandits are the people who are: independent, knowledgable, and, most importantly, established.

If you're already doing research on it, then you've got 1 & 2.  Getting yourself established is akin to getting yourself experience.  Once you guys get out of the single digits in terms of episode numbers, you'll look back and marvel at how much you've learned. 

8)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »
In our niche (gaming) I don't think we have much to worry about from the corporate world taking over.  There is no money in tabletop gaming. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

adam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Tech support
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:59:24 PM »
That, too, is a good point.

But, it's a cool phonemenon when the big names in the RPG industry start to realize the power of the podcaster.  We are the emerging face of the new media.

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 03:10:22 PM »
I think that most "big names", whether it is Gaming or Business or education are starting to recognize podcasting as a viable voice in the market, much as they noticed bloggers a year or two ago.

"Starting to" recognize is the exciting (and scary) part.  It means there is more visibility (and will be even more a year from now), but it is also being realized that there is little conformity across podcasts, and for them to truly be used as a marketing tool, there may be systems put in place that do things as innocent as uniform non-changeable ID3 tags or ITunes using cookies to track how many unique visitors are downloading shows, to things a little more disquieting like tracking where you pause when listening to streaming media in order to know where to place commercials. 

Attention = good. 
Turning this media we love into a commercial drone = sad pandas all around

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

adam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Tech support
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »
You made the comparison to blogging, which I was going to jump to next.

Turn your questions to it:  Is it a big commercial endeavor now?

I think it both is and it isn't.  Some of the biggest named bloggers out there are the ones that paved the way.  Independent people that helped shape the way that the meda was going to be perceived.  These are people that didn't do it for their companies, but for their love of the... hobby?  art?  I'm not sure how you'd classify it.

I think that's where podcasting will go.  They'll try and commercialize, and it will be a mediocre success.  They'll try and standardize, which is awesome.  There needs to be some standard model for distribution and consumption... but go ahead and take your time doing that. 

The people who would benefit the most from the standardization are people who get it in early, and make their mark on the industry, just like the bloggers of years past.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 04:55:35 AM »

Peaboo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »
The thing about podcasts is that they are "narrowcasting", not "broadcasting". You always want to get more people to tune in, but people don't (as far as I know,) randomly click on lists of podcasts the way they might channel surf. They have specific interests in mind.

And to get more people you need networking. I'm sure you guys know a certain game designer/web comic guy that's pretty darn popular. Have you contacted him and solicited his opinions about your podcast? Perhaps ask him for a plug?

:)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »
We haven't done any marketing and we won't until we work out some technical issues and have enough episodes up (5 or so episodes). 

Our genre of podcast is very narrow, however many podcasts are tuned into by people randomly who will stick around if they like what they hear.  Also there is a huge market of casual or lapsed role-players who are interested in hearing about the topic.

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
test2
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 09:41:21 PM »
here we are