Author Topic: Arena fights (yay alastar is spam posting again)  (Read 4831 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Arena fights (yay alastar is spam posting again)
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »
Btw, upcoming soon, a new episode of diary of chuck, I'm working on it.

I am starting some arena fights between me and a lot of friends (aroudn 16 i think, maybe a bit less) and i would like to benefit from your experience, as always in situations where i do not have a lot of experience myself.

I am the DM of such events, i need help on the restrictions :)

So far I have:

-No infinite loops
-No obsessively abusive things (like chuck)
-Level 7
-Standard Wealth (No Hirelings, No candle of invocation, No PAO)
-Every 3 victories you level (wealth levels with you)
-Fight ends with death or surrender of one party (surrender means you can fight in next tournament, death means you reroll a new level 7 character)
-32 point buy
-Average HD
-The entry fee is : one beer, winner takes all.

If i have people who win too much I might have them either become the champions and reroll (you know those guys whom you fight when your real good) or have them go on.

I'm also planning on some events, maybe some 3vsmonster battle, 2vs2 battles, FFA, things like that.

Any tips, suggestions, or anything of the sort?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:22:31 PM by Alastar »

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
Re: Arena fights (yay alastar is spam posting again)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »
Level 7 means Freedom of Movement is in, so grappling just went bye-bye.

One of the PVP tricks I've always liked was Ego Whip spam. Even if they have a good Cha, they still have to save or be dazed. Telepath fits this nicely; you can also take Brain Lock and arm your psicrystal (Armor spikes is a good way to do this). It takes ages for you to finish them, but they go down eventually.
I know gameology-fu.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:22:47 PM »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

hr/level buffs and longer.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »
hr/level buffs and longer.
Really good one.
Also, try to have multiple arena maps so they can't predict what they'll be facing.

And like any good arena, have an out of bounds = disqualification.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »
Out of bounds is good hadn't thought of that.

What if someone makes a forceful teleport/bull rush build and abuses of it thought?

What do you mean hr/level buffs?  What should be the restriction on that?

Yes I have several maps planned already, thanks, keep those suggestions coming.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:33:30 PM »
hrs/level means only buffs that last hr/level or longer are allowed to be up at the start of combat. No super buffing right before combat.

I was thinking teleport/plane shift as disqualifying the person to leave. If they bullrush you out, that's a valid tactic, I think. Also put a roof limit (200' should do it).
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:48:05 PM »
yeah, and 40 ft. bellow.

but hmmm yeah, interesting, I,ll have to make HUMONGOUS areas thought, just to make it hard :)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
Just don't start them too far apart, don't want to give blaster mages a heads up on any non-caster.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »
yeah, and 40 ft. bellow.

but hmmm yeah, interesting, I,ll have to make HUMONGOUS areas thought, just to make it hard :)
Don't get too worried about people abusing bull rushes in this. They're not the best tactic overall, there are a lot of stacking ways to increase your defense against them, and everything they put into bull rushes is one less thing they can use to kill the other person.

You'll want to decide resource level. Most arenas use one fight per day, but a few use two or three to stop a bunch of 1/day abilities winning out (and to stop the headaches at high levels). Also, make sure you have some sort of restriction on expendable items; with three wins meaning a new level, people can afford to blow a lot of scrolls and potions to try and get the next level and the extra money.
I know gameology-fu.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:54:34 AM »
I was going to start them 40ft. appart.

And the battle is going to keep on going till the end of the championship, so the first battles will be big, but as the arena goes on, they'll have less and less things to do, I expect to see a wizard slap fight by the end.

Maybe a limit of 4 expandables.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:28:06 AM »
Will damages/effects/etc to the arenas carry over from fight to fight? That could make things interesting, especially if contestants start prepping things for advance fights. On the other hand, that starts giving advantage to the casters again. I would love to see something like a Trapsmith working over an arena before a fight.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 02:48:04 AM »
I was going to start them 40ft. appart.

And the battle is going to keep on going till the end of the championship, so the first battles will be big, but as the arena goes on, they'll have less and less things to do, I expect to see a wizard slap fight by the end.

Maybe a limit of 4 expandables.
I'm more meaning a gp-value limit, but a number works. The silver-bullet scroll list always struck me as part of the perks of playing a caster, but it shouldn't be an overwhelming advantage.

Then again, if you simply don't allow shopping between fights, that'd probably cover most of the expendables issue.
I know gameology-fu.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »
Forty ft. is way too close, IMHO. That almost within limited charge distance for some characters. Unless you think it SHOULD be within charging distance...

I would also limit expendable materials, too. People can do tremendous things with these.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
I suggest looking at the rules for the BG Arena if you haven't already - there could be something you overlooked.

I would also limit expendable materials, too. People can do tremendous things with these.
I'm sure there's something in the DMG about increasing the price of consumables in a one-shot adventure.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
Generally, you'll want to have the arena limited by infinite toughness walls that block dimensional travel through them. Then, anything that passes beyond those walls loses. That way, it's actually impossible to "bullrush opponent out" while still maintaining the walls.

Also, I suggest a few different terrains. For example, a mostly underwater terrain, a forest terrain, a featureless wasteland terrain, a hilly terrain, a canyon terrain, a trap-filled dungeon terrain and so on (each (except dungeons) with and without rain, snow, poor lightening, good lightening, etc.) - then have players roll for who gets to choose the terrain type (or determine it randomally yourself) and either make a new map of that type yourself (DMG has guidelines for randomally creating terrains of each type) or use one from a pool of ready maps you've made beforehand. Flavourwise, you can simply assume that the arena officials magically generate the terrain before each fight.

Make items with 1/day or generally very limited daily uses cost more - stuff like Scarab of Invulnerability, Belt of Battle and company are insanely powerful by default since you aren't really limited by the "/day"-limitation.

Finally, I wouldn't start the players aware of each other. You could give the first guy to spot the other surprise round this way, if only one guy is aware of the other (even though they've been moving turn-based all the time). This means stuff like playing a character with high Hide and Move Silently actually pays off. This also means that they could start further apart without giving ranged characters an overwhelming advantage.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:27:34 PM by Eldariel »

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
Hmmm

Valid points, as are all your posts eldariel, Fu for you.

I'll take the walls, it's a good thing, also i wanted some lava filled maps, so the walls make for a plausible containement field.

I was already going to go with different terrains, I'm starting to work just now on them, Hadn't thought of the trap filled donjon ;) :P

Like i said, you have several fights to go in a single day, so once a day items or the like won't be that bad, it will make the first fights really hardcore since players will have maxed ressources, witch is what we want, we want the first fights, where everyone is participating, to be incredibly hardcore.  Maybe there will be a surprise break before the finale and thus the two contestants for the finale can rest before it.

I think I will make the players appear at opposite ends of the map, and then move on from there.  If the map hides sight for them, too bad.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »
Alright, some things have come up:

Crafting items with exp, how does it work, how should I deal with that?

Also: Both players will start, most of the time, unaware of each other, so how do i deal with that.  Do i ask one of the players to leave the room during the others turn, than note the location when it's over and vice-versa?

Also: suppose I have 13 participants, how do i deal with matches?  In a spirit of: if you win you get to fight another person right after this one and so on?  any insights?

StPeteGamer

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 11:22:57 PM »
Alright, some things have come up:

Crafting items with exp, how does it work, how should I deal with that?

Also: Both players will start, most of the time, unaware of each other, so how do i deal with that.  Do i ask one of the players to leave the room during the others turn, than note the location when it's over and vice-versa?

Also: suppose I have 13 participants, how do i deal with matches?  In a spirit of: if you win you get to fight another person right after this one and so on?  any insights?

The crafting should work right out of the book if you allow it all, however I would think taking the craft feats would be suboptimal for an arena game.

You could also print out copies of the different maps and keep track of the movement on the sheets having the characters makeing appropriate checks as they get near each other.  Might be quicker than having the characters rotate like that.

I would probably reward the person who wins first by placing them in the next arena and just counting rounds as they wait for the next winner.  This would allow time for healing and also allow time for buffs to come down, making it both an advantage and disadvantage as buffs may expire whil you wait.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 01:53:20 AM »
I'd make it that only 24 hr duration buffs should be allowed before a fight, and only buffs that you can cast yourself. 

I'd disallow self-crafted items, since CWI will easily break open the wealth-by-level at that point.

I've never done an arena where you keep the wounds from your previous fight.  It seems to me that it generally means that having a huge initiative to K-O your opponent just became more important than ever.  Wizards and other primary casters will almost certainly need scrolls to keep momentum going as well.