Author Topic: The perfect Cohort (a mental exercise on how to cram things together)  (Read 3102 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Ok, so recently, while we were running bastion of broken souls, the cohort of my team member died.

He was a cleric/dweomerkeeper/hierophant, who basically buffed us even more and gave his turn undead attempts over to his leader, who was a DMM persist cleric.  Kinda cheesy, but we loved him.  Due to the unique properties of the bastion of unborn souls, any death in it is a permanent death.  And the cohort failed a fort save agaisn't a balor's implosion.  Much crying was had (he buffed well, and could chain heal).

In an effort to replace him and make him even better, i have come up with the following theme

Narstok the defiler
Hexblade 4/???1/Ur priest 7/Prestige Paladin of tyranny 3/Hieropant 2
Ideally, he would be an undead, althought I'm still fooling around for a level adjustment 1 undead that would do the trick (being an undead would grant him massive bonuses from the guy who makes him, a dread necromancer with corpsecrafter, plus, cons would be a dump stat, and more things would rely on charisma)

this all gives me:
-4 to saves of people around (-6 eventually when he gets more levels and goes into blackguard)
Level 9 spells
Mettle
Charisma to saves twice (so the same mishap as before doesn't happen)

Feats would be:
Iron will
spell focus (evil) (human)
Chain Spell (Flaw)
DMM Chain (Flaw)
Cleave
Power Attack
Improved Sunder (Fighter bonus feat (Maybe))
Extra turning x3

Does anyone have any idea for classes, races, or other things to put in there?

I thought about Nar Demonbinder but i don't have that book in front of me right now, so if someone knows how it works, could you summarise it for me here.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:58:28 PM by Alastar »

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Re: The perfect Cohort (a mental exercise on how to cram things together)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »
Necropolitan, from Heroes of Horror, sounds like the Undead template you want.  Dread Necromancer 1 looks like a good fit, and gives you some Rebuke Undead as well.  With Extra Turning X5, is it safe to assume Nightsticks are not allowed, or does he need 60 turn attempts (assuming 30 from CHA + Classes + Extra Turning, and that's conservative) for all the persistifying he does via DMM?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »
You need Mounted Combat for Prestige Paladin.

You can go Hexblade 4/Binder 1/Ur-Priest 2/Anima Mage (divine adaptation) 5/...

You'll need Improved Binding as a feat (at level 6) but you'll get to bind Focalor for another -2 penalty to enemies plus a few goodies from Anima Mage (including 1 free metamagic per day... so that you can make do with one less Extra Turning).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:23:54 PM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »
Does every time you get a class that gives rebuke undead you add it to the number of turn attempts you can get to have per day?

Nightsticks are allowed, but only 1.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »
Does every time you get a class that gives rebuke undead you add it to the number of turn attempts you can get to have per day?

Nightsticks are allowed, but only 1.
RAW, yes.  Ask your DM if (s)he's ruled otherwise.  If so, Dread Necro is a less powerful choice, but still thematically appropriate, and Binder becomes more awesome-ish.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm kind of charmed by the whole binder thing:

1-binder's are awesome, theyre versatility is unparalleled
2-It is a very strong thematic here, with the ur priest and all, i love it!  Great find.. I'm away from tome of magic, but I'm checking that out right now, and I think I'll go with it.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »
Anything with War Weaver. Then load him up with some battlefield control and healing.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:04:06 AM »
Well our party is this:

Druid 12/warshaper 4/beastmaster 1/fist of the forest 1 (BSF/CoDzilla)  has an AC of 75

Cleric 5/Dweomerkeeper 4/Bone Knight 9 (BSF/CoDzolla) hits for a lot with his hammer, this guy has leadership, giving him the cohort, he's a DMM persistent cleric.

Fighter 10/warblade 4/eternal blade 5 (Glass cannon) does over 600 damage per round with his splitting force stone dragon bow.

And me Conjurer 3/master conjurer 4/Incantatrix 10/archmage 2 (God).

So our parties thing is persistent spells.  We got around 30-40 persistent spells going all around between us, most of them group buffs. The cohort played a vital part in our strategy because he was the one who was casting the chained buffs.  Such as chained divine agility, wich I then persisted.

So I think it's kinda important that he stays in the cleric path.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:26:43 AM »
^^^
I'd shit myself if I was your DM.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:07 AM »
Don't worry, our DM is mostly clueless to the powerhouse we sit on, we're pretty decent players, we just like having all this potential in case things go wrong.

Potential tastes good.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »
Don't worry, our DM is mostly clueless to the powerhouse we sit on, we're pretty decent players, we just like having all this potential in case things go wrong.

Potential tastes good.
I couldn't agree more, which is why I have a Divine Minion Druid/Planar Shepherd (who will soon be able to DMM(Persist))as a cohort in one of my campaigns :D

Also, since he'll be evil anyway, would the DCFS be an option?
Even more Extra Turning and prerequisite feats for prestige classes you can cram in :smirk

~Bowen

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
I've changed my mind. you want an Artificer. ESPECIALLY if he can make wands of infusions(Metamagic Item and Power Surge), since infusions act like spells in all ways.

Wand Surge feat from MoE and Persistent Unfettered Heroism are heroes here, letting you abuse wands of infusions to no end, which in turn let you abuse staves of spells to no end.
Despite the name "Wand" Surge, it works with staves too, which use your CL(or the CL you emulate with a UMD deck)

You can charge up the item with temporary charges with Power Surge so you can metamagic spell trigger reach spell(for touch spells) without using charges and your temporary action point handles the normal charge in every case.

For personal spells it's less trouble to simply buy a +15 competence item and MW tools to pass around, then use Metamagic Item: Persistent and Power Surge temporary charges so that party members can buff themselves without wasting charges.

Oh, and he can make cheap gear too. And spam spells in combat like a warlock but they actually do something.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.