Author Topic: Please help me build something around a vague idea.  (Read 9998 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Please help me build something around a vague idea.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
Something with the ability to make touch attacks (one of the Diamond Mind maneuvers, Deep Impact of Wraithstrike for example) combined with a full Power Attack, Battle Jump and Leap Attack should help with that, especially with a Valorous Weapon and Rhino's Rush thrown in.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »
coughincantgishcough
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Yeah, I agree Uber :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 05:39:41 PM »
I'm sorry to bother Uber and Bowen, but, could you give me a simple stub of how to build an "incantgish" ? , and possibly recommend me the very basic feats? , Thank you in advance guys. Sorry again for asking so much
Space for sale. Ok ok, not for sale, siggy coming soon.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 05:46:33 PM »
No problem, Fuuga :)

As for my personal preference regarding gishes (YMMV ofcourse):
1) Start with a single level of Barbarian for Pounce, regardless of what form you're in and if you choose to (ab)use Polymorph or not
2) Wizard based, including Abrupt Jaunt ACF
3) 3 levels of Incantatrix for some juicy Persistent Buffs
4) Optionally 1 level of Spellsword as filler, then add 5 levels of Abjurant Champion
5) Arcane Disciple (War) for Divine Power to ofset the BAB hit you take due to Incantatrix and optionally the Holy Warrior feat
6) Charge feats such as Power Attack, Leap Attack and Battle Jump while obviously boosting your Jump skill
7) Optionally add Swiftblade, especially if you start in Epic and can still get CL17 for spells known

I'm sure I'm missing quite some things, but I'm AFB and quite intoxicated at the moment, so you'll have to excuse me for now :)

~Bowen

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 05:55:06 PM »
Actually, I was thinking something more like this:
Wizard 5/ Incantatrix 10/ SCM 3/ Nightmare Spinner 1/ X1 (probably mindbender for mindsight)/ epic incantatrix

At low levels use arcane disciple(war) to persist you spells.  Eventually retrain that to arcane disciple(luck) so you can just use shadow miracles (it's not like you are running low on slots due to metamagic reducers built in, twin/repeat spell, and residual magic).

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!

I'm going to be building it in about an hour, and playing in 3 hours or so, after I check with my DM if everything's ok. I'll tell you all how did it go =)

Thanks again!  :D

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »
Well, I went to the game a few hours early, and talked to the DM.. I'm playing the Wizard/Incantatrix/something else combo after all  :) .. I'm probably going the way Uber showed me, the first session went pretty well, only had one encounter, which was pretty easy for us. Then some big intro to the game and a lot of roleplaying. We ended up being level 8, not 6 at the start, I had the wrong info. But well, things are going well, and I want to thank you all yet again for all the help.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »
Well, I went to the game a few hours early, and talked to the DM.. I'm playing the Wizard/Incantatrix/something else combo after all  :) .. I'm probably going the way Uber showed me, the first session went pretty well, only had one encounter, which was pretty easy for us. Then some big intro to the game and a lot of roleplaying. We ended up being level 8, not 6 at the start, I had the wrong info. But well, things are going well, and I want to thank you all yet again for all the help.
What are your feats looking like?  The nonmetamagic ones will be fairly tight, so I'd like to help you cut slack if I can.

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »
What are your feats looking like?  The nonmetamagic ones will be fairly tight, so I'd like to help you cut slack if I can.

Well, thanks to the long time spent talking to the DM over what is allowed or not to play, I actually haven't assigned feats except the req. for Incantatrix, I'm playing with 2 flaws max, have one extra feat (He gave everyone one extra feat), as for race, I'm playing a dragonborn of bahamut human , that has the dragon subtype ( I don't know if it's a homebrew class, or it's in a manual somewhere, he just adviced that class, and I went for it, as I don't really lose anything).

I guess that's about it, as far as items go, we have what is handed to us, nothing we can buy or anything until we figure out how to get the hell out of the guild we are in (The story starts with us in a guild of knights as servants, when hell breaks loose, and we end up having to fight (in the next session)).

Thanks again for the help, and if I have made a wrong choice so far, I can probably talk to the DM to be able to fix it, he knows I'm not up to date with classes and races.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »
I hope you meant dragonborn gnome.  Shadowcraft mage requires you to be some sort of gnome.

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »
Well, that can be done easily. Is the dragonborn part ok tho?

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
Well, that can be done easily. Is the dragonborn part ok tho?
Dragonborn comes down to:
Lose all racial traits aside from stat bumps, gain dragonblooded subtype, gain +2 con, -2 dex, get some cool trick (wings or blindsense).  It's all good for a caster.

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »
I was going for the wings, as for the most part of pre epic we will be facing armies of humans and other races, and some weird creatures apparently, as the DM spent an hour talking about them saying to never face them straight on.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
I was going for the wings, as for the most part of pre epic we will be facing armies of humans and other races, and some weird creatures apparently, as the DM spent an hour talking about them saying to never face them straight on.
You will have made a solid choice.  If you can get (eX) flight fairly easily in other places grab senses, but wings are damn good.

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the help Uber!

May I ask what metamagic feats would you use in this case? , with the way Arcane Thesis works in this game, it seems that some high cost metamagic would end up being free, so I'm begining to wonder what to do about it.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the help Uber!

May I ask what metamagic feats would you use in this case? , with the way Arcane Thesis works in this game, it seems that some high cost metamagic would end up being free, so I'm begining to wonder what to do about it.
Heighten, twin, repeat, extend, persist.  That's probably the 5 I'd grab.  Make sure to grab residual magic as soon as possible.

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »
Will do, thanks again for the help.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
Will do, thanks again for the help.
No problem.  If you don't mind would you drop my fu?

Fuuga

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »
Sure thing.