Author Topic: The Nudomancer  (Read 11303 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: The Nudomancer
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »
Actually, Gloom is +30, which is what the Pit Fiend grabs us with a -1 size mod. Add in size decreases, which will boost Dex and Size mods and it's a better overall choice...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 05:57:42 PM »
Actually, Gloom is +30, which is what the Pit Fiend grabs us with a -1 size mod. Add in size decreases, which will boost Dex and Size mods and it's a better overall choice...
Gloom is 25 HD though.  That excludes it for shapechange nabbing until we can consider ourselves to have 25 HD.  Even a bard can only push us to 22 HD.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
Really? You can't pull a CL 25 at 20HD?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »
It might be worth it. There's a Clerical domain that would give you enhancement bonus to charisma equal to your Cleric level.

Unfortunately Monk's belt and dorjes are not allowed. No items.

And Shapechange is CL, not HD dependant. Getting CL 25 though... +4 from Divine spell power brings me up to 21, Practiced spellcaster up to 24... Spell enhancer on top of that?

Handy Links

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »
Really? You can't pull a CL 25 at 20HD?
Inheritance clause much?
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 06:25:33 PM »
It might be worth it. There's a Clerical domain that would give you enhancement bonus to charisma equal to your Cleric level.

Unfortunately Monk's belt and dorjes are not allowed. No items.

And Shapechange is CL, not HD dependant. Getting CL 25 though... +4 from Divine spell power brings me up to 21, Practiced spellcaster up to 24... Spell enhancer on top of that?

add Orange Prism Ioun Stone .... +1 caster level for only 30,000 gp

:D

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 06:57:27 PM »
Dominate Person can strip people easy enough.
Oh, whoops. The title is so misleading.

Did something like Dwarf Saint Monk 1 / Swordsage 2 / Sorcerer 5 / (champions of valor sub) Paladin 2 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Fist of the Forest 1 / Arcane Duelist 2 / Deep Warden 2 already get listed?

+13 armor from greater luminous armor.
+9 from shield.
Wis to AC*3
Cha to AC*2 (*3 with Sirine's Grace, *4 with Divine Shield)
Con to AC*2
Access to Polymorph.

It could be handy if someone crunched the numbers on it.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »
Moar! Edit: Moar moar!

Venerable Dragonborn Buomman Saint Cleric 15/Contemplative 1/Paragnostic Apostle 1/Cobra Strike Monk 1/Swordsage 2

Buffs active: Shapechange (Pit fiend), Divine agility, Shield of faith, Bite of the Werebear, Owl's insight, Shield, Greater luminous armor, Holy star, Owl's wisdom, Divine power.

Feats: Dodge (bonus from Monk), Cumbrous dodge, Divine spell power, Law devotion, Sacred vow, Vow of poverty, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace, Combat expertise, Improved combat expertise
-Armor bonus: +10 Paragnostic Apostle and Greater luminous armor. -4 to enemy melee attacks too.
-Shield bonus: +4 from Shield spell.
-Insight bonus: +16 from Saint template.
-Dexterity: +15, +8 from Pit fiend, +5 from Divine agility, +1 from Elation, +1 from Grace.
-Sacred: +7 from Law devotion.
-Unnamed: +48, Monk and Swordsage AC bonus, Balance domain power.
-Dodge: +23 from +2 from Cumbrous dodge, +20 from Improved Combat expertise, +1 from Haste.
-Natural: +30, +23 from Pit fiend and +7 enhancement from Bite of the Werebear.
-Circumstance: +6 from Holy star.
-Deflection: +5 Shield of Faith.
-Exalted: +2 from Vow of peace.
-Luck: +3 from Recitation.
-Size: -1

In another format:
[spoiler]
+10 (Base)
-1 (Size)
+10 (Armor)
+4 (Shield)
+7 (Sacred)
+30 (Natural)
+48 (Unnamed from wisdom)
+16 (Insight)
+23 (Dodge)
+6 (Circumstance)
+5 (Deflection)
+2 (Exalted)
+15 (Dexterity)
+3 (Luck)
[/spoiler]

At 178 now. Is there a better Shapechange form?

Edit: Moar^3! Change a level of Cleric for a level of Contemplative, get Balance domain and wisdom to AC one more time!

this looks good .... but i would suggest adjusting to this:

Venerable Dragonborn Buomman Saint Cleric 15/Contemplative 1/Paragnostic Apostle 1/Cobra Strike Monk 1/Fist of the Forest 1/ xxxxx ?

and use Ha Naga.... they get:Str 27, Dex 38, Con 32, and +24 natural armor

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
Divine shield? I had forgotten about that one...

Carnivore: I'll consider it tomorrow. No time for concentrating right now. However, that would make the build VERY feat tight, but giving up Vow of Poverty would free a lot of feats...

Edit: Heck, I'll hit 200 tomorrow.

Venerable Dragonborn Buomman Saint Cleric 15/Contemplative 1/Paragnostic Apostle 1/Cobra Strike Monk 1/Fist of the Forest 1/Paladin 1

Assumes starting wis and cha 21. Domains: Balance, Animal and Lust. Lost Vow of peace, which sucks.

+10 (Base)
-8 (Size)
+10 (Armor)
+4 (Shield)
+7 (Sacred)
+32 (Natural)
+32 (Unnamed from wisdom)
+16 (Insight)
+23 (Dodge)
+6 (Circumstance)
+5 (Deflection)
+21 (Dexterity)
+3 (Luck)
+17 (Constitution)
+15 (Charisma)

That is 193, everyone.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:22:54 PM by Tshern »

Handy Links

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »
Yeah Ha-naga is also colassal, get 120ft perfect flight, a DC 31 2d8 con poison, a mass charm monster at will, and I think there was a cust serv ruleing saying that you gain the spells of the thing you shapechanged into, so you would also gain level 21 sorrcerer casting to boot...

Do you loose the insight bonus to ac when you shapechange, and if you do keep it would it stack with Gloom?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
I am not using Gloom's insight bonus... Wish I somehow got Power attack and Divine shield in there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:25:48 PM by Tshern »

Handy Links

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 11:57:42 PM »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 12:55:19 AM »
@Tshern:
- you can't use Shapechange otherwise you'll lose Supernatural abilities (like the Saint Wis to AC IIRC). Draconic Polymorph works IIRC.
- you can't use Monk & Swordsage bonus at the same time. (RAW you can't, and if you turn to WotC for clarifying the stupid RAW you run into the Sage ruling) Outdated.

Gloura 7/Cobra Strike Monk 1/Ur-Priest 8/Paranostic Apostle 1/Contemplative 1/Arcane Duelist 2 (with LA buyoff and some stuff shamelessly borrowed from Tshern's build ;))

Feats: SF: Evil, Iron Will, Law Devotion, Ascetic Mage, Mobility, Cumbrous Dodge, Divine Shield

Contemplative: Balance Domain

Starting Wis 23 and Cha 27 thanks to Gloura bonuses ; Dex 15 (Gloura has +10, age is -6... I don't know what Tshern went for). The 4 ability increases go to Cha. She somehow gets +5 inherent to all ability scores (chain-binding).
Cha: 27+4+5 inherent+4 insight Snowsong (Frostburn)+8 enhancement Nixie's Grace (SC 148)+2 GVoD (SC 231) = 50 -> +20
Dex: 15+5 inherent+10 Divine Agility (SC)+6 enhancement Nixie's Grace+4 GVoD = 40 -> +15
Wis: 23+5 inherent+10 Owl's Insight+4 enhancement Owl's Wisdom = 42 -> +16

AC: 10 + 20 Cha Unearthly Grace
+20 Cha + 1 Monk's bonus
+20 Cha Apparent defense
+20 Cha Divine Shield (shield)
+20 Cha Nixie's Grace (deflection)
+15 Dex
+ 7 Law Devotion (profane)
+ 8 Bite of the Wereboar (natural)
+ 3 Recitation (luck)
+ 6 Holy Star (circumstance)
+16 Wis Balance domain
+ 8 Greater Mage Armor w/ Paragnostic (armor)
+2 Cumbrous Dodge + 1 Haste (dodge)
=177

That's before I use Evil Elder feats and the Chaos Shuffle to get Improved Combat Expertise (where is it from btw ?). And a Fiend of Possession/Fiend of Corruption cohort to boost Cha by +7. Hey, you got give evil guys some stuff ! With those she's well above 200.

She doesn't have actual natural armor (only enhancement), nor morale, nor insight, nor size (how do you reach this size, Tshern ?). For insight I thought a fully augmented ML 20 tattoo of Defensive Precognition could be good... but it's kind of an item. I don't remember what spells give an insight bonus.

(Note: Unearthly Grace should probably be deflection, but with text trumping table it's unnamed :D)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:03:04 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 04:47:47 AM »
Inherent bonuses would actually solve my problems with my original build. At least some of it.

Venerable Dragonborn Buomman Saint Cleric 15/Contemplative 1/Paragnostic Apostle 1/Cobra Strike Monk 1/Swordsage 2

Buffs active: Draconic polymorph (Pit fiend), Divine agility, Shield of faith, Bite of the Werebear, Owl's insight, Shield, Greater luminous armor, Holy star, Owl's wisdom, Divine power. Toss in Greater visage of the deity too.

Wisdom score: 21+2+2+2+5+5+4+10+4+8=57 (18 base, 2 racial, 3 age, 5 levels, 5 inherent, 8 enhancement, 10 insight, 4 unnamed,). This includes the inherent bonus I had not used this far.

Feats: Dodge (bonus from Monk), Cumbrous dodge, Divine spell power, Law devotion, Sacred vow, Vow of poverty, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace, Combat expertise, Improved combat expertise
-Armor bonus: +10 Paragnostic Apostle and Greater luminous armor. -4 to enemy melee attacks too.
-Shield bonus: +16 from Shield spell, 12 from Divine shield)
-Insight bonus: +24 from Saint template.
-Dexterity: +16, +8 from Pit fiend, +5 from Divine agility, +1 from Elation, +1 from Grace, +1 Greater visage.
-Unnamed: +72, Monk and Swordsage AC bonus, Balance domain power.
-Dodge: +23 from +2 from Cumbrous dodge, +20 from Improved Combat expertise, +1 from Haste.
-Natural: +31, +23 from Pit fiend and +7 enhancement from Bite of the Werebear, +1 from Greater visage of the deity.

224. Leadership would solve this easily, because Force screen and Inertial armor can be used with Affinity field. If my point buy let me, I'd stuck in Power attack and Divine might. While Power attack is acquired from Bite of the Werebear, I still don't qualify for Divine shield.

Also the colossal size from from Ha Naga form.

Edit: Forgot Buomman's +2 to wisdom! Here we are, 200 exactly without inherent bonuses to dexterity.
Edit: Forgot Saint's +2 to wisdom! 204!
Edit: Forgot Vow of Poverty stat boosts. Now we are at no less than 220. Or without inherent bonuses to wisdom it drops down by eight to 212. Naked AC with no inherent bonuses 212.

Let's assume he has Divine shield and a charisma of plenty: 18 base, 3 age, 4 Saint, 6 enhancement (VoP), 4 Greater visage of the deity = 35, which gives us a modifier of 12. Here we are, 224 with 32 PB.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:10:39 AM by Tshern »

Handy Links

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 07:04:01 AM »
just a quick note ..... VOP bonuses to attributes are Enhancement bonuses... thus some of your boosts dont stack

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 07:08:54 AM »
So they are. Back to calculating.

-Shield bonus: +16 from Shield spell, 12 from Divine shield)
-Insight bonus: +24 from Saint template.
-Dexterity: +16, +8 from Pit fiend, +5 from Divine agility, +1 from Elation, +1 from Grace, +1 Greater visage.
-Unnamed: +72, Monk and Swordsage AC bonus, Balance domain power.
-Natural: +31, +23 from Pit fiend and +7 enhancement from Bite of the Werebear, +1 from Greater visage of the deity.

That's 224 then. I think.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:10:57 AM by Tshern »

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »
- You can't use Monk & Swordsage bonus at the same time. (RAW you can't since the Ss one only works while armored, and if you turn to WotC for clarifying the stupid RAW you run into the Sage ruling)

I didn't notice Shield stacked with Divine Shield - I'll have to include that. I'll switch to 32 PB at some point too.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:33 AM »
So you don't think the ruling regarding the SS AC bonus is the way it should be? At least to me it is damn clear that disallowing armorless fighting was a mere oversight, nothing more.

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 10:22:11 AM »
I definitely think it should. But if we use the WotC ruling indicating that it works unarmored, we have to use the WotC ruling indicating that it doesn't stack with monk...

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »
What ruling is that then? The ability is not identical to that of the Monk and CustServ already gave its reasonable clarification. Moreover, the CustServ response to the matter of the stacking of the said AC bonuses was positive as well...

Handy Links