Author Topic: Binder optimization  (Read 18012 times)

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Binder optimization
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2009, 12:23:48 AM »
I completely overestimated the Paladin's skills at optimization.  He's not as good as the DM said. 

He asked how I was slaughtering the mobs I replied "optimization".  He said, what is that? XD

It was worh it to hear the kensai b**** as I crit for 80, then 70 damage and wasted the mobs. 

I'm considering remaking my character to fit more inline with the power level of the group.b But with the DMs rule interpretations, I fear I'm what's keeping us alive.

He apparently read an undead template out of a book that gives 1 1/2 times BAB to the creature.  I think it was MM but didn't see it, that can't be right.  I'm not really complaining since with a 17 AC I'd get hit anyway, but when at lv9 their BAB is over 20 something is seriously jacked up. 

I told the kensai if I wnated to do more dmaage I'd just build a barnarian and he might as well give up trying to beat me. 

Paladin is apparently a paladin 6/rogue3/shadowbane inquisitor1 in mithral breastplate.  I was slightly disappointed that the secret class was something plain and stupid like that.

I'm lv10 and can't wait to abuse Chupoclops :]

I'm considering killing everyone in the party at this point for various reasons and here is my kill order.

Wizard Cohort(built by DM with DCs around 20 and CC spells and high damage spells.   Biggest threat)

Paladin(for the lulz)
Cleric
Barbarian
Kensai
Bard

The others either don't show up regularly or are so low a alevel they aren't a threat.

I figure pounce, full shocktrooper the mage, single shot him.  Take the hits from pally, etc, but try to position in a way as to not be surrounded.  Leap Over the barb who will be guarding the cleric.  Kill Paladin, or barb if he's in the way.  Ethereal watcher and use my 40ft move to outmaneuver the dwarves.  Then pick them off one by one  I should survive as long as I one shot them which with minimum damage should be easy though the barbarian I "believe" misclaculated his AC to be mid 30s.  Even if that isn't the case I can hit that with a decent roll any day. 

I figure I wait until we're out on a mission, assassinate them say they were KIA, dispose of the bodies and move on.  There's no reason the military would bust out high level resurrections to get them back without a body part so I should be solid there.  (I'm going to check with the DM beforehand to make surew this won't be the case and if he will or will not pull off some DM shenanigans to bring them back.

I "may" use the dark power of the evil god if they somehow manage to begin beating me.  It shouldn't come to that but that's another point of discussion for the DM. 

Would the karsites spell resistance help me much in such a scenario?  In the event the wizard somehow survives. 

The cleric and Paladin have armor with greater heal enchants so when they drop to zero it heals them.  I "believe" if my damage takes htem to -10 that won't matter.  So I have to oneshot them.

Any additional tactical advice to givw would be appreciated.

Stats:
Lv10 binder6/KotSS4
Weapon: +1 Bodyfeeder Jovar(DM given so decided to make the most of it and use the enchant on a jovar which I crit with nearly every combat for a sizeable HP buffer.)
+3 mithral breastplate
Boots of Springing and Striding
24str
16dex
20con
14int
10wis
20cha

I hope for a crit if not at 50% hp I ethereal watcher to buy myself turns for smite, vestige power recharges and then lay into those that are still alive if they try to escape.

I need to concentrate on quick kills and containment.

I plan on using andras for smites, imp. Crit and general badassery, and chup for obvious reasons >:)
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2009, 08:17:15 AM »
Would the karsites spell resistance help me much in such a scenario?  In the event the wizard somehow survives. 

That depends on whether or not the Wizard's player is stupid. If he's not, he should know about the various Orb spells, which bypass SR because they're Conjuration (or that's the excuse WotC gives us anyway).

Beating melee stupids into the ground is just a question of being able to outmaneuvering or rendering their attacks invalid (Ethereal Watcher being a good way to do that. 40 ft. move also being a fine way to do it).

See if your DM is okay with out-of-book vestiges, and look into acquiring Zceryll. The perks from the vestige itself aren't TOO great, except for one neat little thing - the ability to summon pseudonatural monsters. Summon a pack of howlers and have them stab into whoever is a nasty threat with True Strike (granted by the pseudonatural template). Like it or not, a 6 on 1 battle WILL be a battle of attrition, so you might as well summon reinforcements. Daze ray helps too with targetting low Will types (I'm thinking the Barbarian in this case).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »
Dude, I have one word for you: Tenebrous. His flicker ability is key to your pouncing survival. Shock trooper all your AC away, then immediate teleport directly behind the person attacking you, and nobody else will be able to charge you, causing your victory. Also, ethereal watcher + flicker + Invisibility = best sneak ever. You can't make sound when you're ethereal.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2009, 09:50:50 PM »
Dude, I have one word for you: Tenebrous. His flicker ability is key to your pouncing survival. Shock trooper all your AC away, then immediate teleport directly behind the person attacking you, and nobody else will be able to charge you, causing your victory. Also, ethereal watcher + flicker + Invisibility = best sneak ever. You can't make sound when you're ethereal.
His DM nerfed the Flicker ability (I believe its on p. 3).

Good luck in the slaughter; don't forget the escape option if it starts going bad!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »
And don't forget to let us know how it went :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »
Oh hey what about that vestige that gives you fast healing? That + ethereal is a guaranteed win in a battle of attrition.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »
Oh hey what about that vestige that gives you fast healing? That + ethereal is a guaranteed win in a battle of attrition.

That's Buer. Apart from giving fast healing, it doesn't really help his combat abilities in any way - and at his level, it's not worth it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
If you want Fast Healing, Feral paired with LA-buyoff is nice, but that would prevent you from also including Karsite...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2009, 11:49:16 AM »
Yeah Buer kind of sucks unless you are in a jungle-type environment.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
If he had more vestige slots, it would possibly be worth buer.

Oh don't forget that you have ghost touch weapons, which I believe means that you can attack people from your ethereal state. You revert to un-etherealness after you finish your pounce.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2009, 01:24:21 PM »
If he had more vestige slots, it would possibly be worth buer.

Oh don't forget that you have ghost touch weapons, which I believe means that you can attack people from your ethereal state. You revert to un-etherealness after you finish your pounce.
No, Ghost Touch goes Material -> Ethereal only.  It says under the Ethereal ability that performing any Full-Round, Standard, or Move action drops you back to the material after the action.  Since you need to charge for pounce, and Charging is a Full-Round action, you end up staying Ethereal until after the attack (most of my DMs ruled otherwise in the Binders I've played, though, as it seems to be against the intent of the ability / vestige).  There's a weapon that attacks Ethereal -> Material that's a bit pricey, and there's a Tabbard in MIC that lets you do some stuff Ethereal -> Material, but that's all I know.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »
Ethereal isn't the same as Incorporeal, right?

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:39:03 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Oh, yeah... I always mix up those.  So Ghost Touch can't even go Material -> Ethereal.  Oh well.  There is a weapon enhancement that does that, I think...

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2009, 07:53:39 AM »

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Oh, yeah... I always mix up those.  So Ghost Touch can't even go Material -> Ethereal.  Oh well.  There is a weapon enhancement that does that, I think...
That would need to be Force or something like that, and IIRC it's only on bows.