Author Topic: Pathfinder Barbarian  (Read 3771 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Pathfinder Barbarian
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
Re: Pathfinder Barbarian
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
Spam surprise accuracy and pimp strength so you can actually use PF PA.  Alternatively, just play a rogue.  PF rogues are head and shoulders the best melee classes in PF.  Sure, you can't sneak attack with acid flask throwing, but you can still shoot a bow or flank (use a two handed weapon because PF is one update short of saying you can't SA with both weapons by my guess).

Really, playing a rogue would make a better combatant.  If not that, then just spam surprise accuracy making single hits and power attacking.

Edit: Take that feat chain that gives you more powerful single attacks and make sure to get the autocrit for your scythe for PA+Surprise accuracy fun.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Mainly it's a standard 3.5e game - so standard 3.5 feats and stuff. Just with the PF barb instead of the SRD barb. But surprise accuracy was one of the things I thought might be a pretty good power. It's hard to say, though, because you effectively get this 1/day per level, if you spam it a lot and need to save rage points to keep your rage going through 4 encounters a day.

I might just be better off staying away from this class and sticking with the other, more interestingly houseruled classes (the campaign will be core-only, but most of the base classes have some kind of houserule that's more-or-less a buff). Monks get their flurry attacks as a swift action, so you can make a few attacks after a move, rangers and paladins get to cast their spells as swift actions (the standard-action ones), fighters get half their level added to AC and Damage. Who knows, this might be the pathfinder classes, snuck in as "houserules", since it's been a while since I looked at PF. The fighter thing is kind of interesting too, I could see going that way, especially since we have access to PHB2 feats and ACFs (the only extra book we get) except there's already a PC who called dibs on fighter, and I kind of want to balance out the party a bit.

I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to pick a class, that's why I started the cleric thread too. Given that it'll be a long campaign played from level 1, I feel like planning ahead is a good idea, especially since there won't be a ton of PrC options or anything else really to spice up the character. Mostly just flavor, RP, and a good roadmap set out ahead of time. Cleric would help, since everybody needs a divine caster, especially when you don't have the MIC to cover certain holes (ability damage, poison, fear). Just kind of feeling around. I think I might have to wait and see what kind of stats I roll too. If I didn't have MAD to worry about, monk might be kind of sexy, especially a spring attack tripper with 2-3 attacks on the spring for free, and more with stuff like bounding assault.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
I got a chance to play a pathfinder Barb. My favourite rage powers where Surprise Accuracy and Strength Surge. Spamming strength surge which allows you to add your barbarian level to grapple (and disarm and nearly every other type of combat maneuver) in particular allowed the two rogues in my party to sneak attack like crazy. Clear Mind is also another winner, can't get enough of rerolls on a failed save.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 01:37:19 AM »
I got a chance to play a pathfinder Barb. My favourite rage powers where Surprise Accuracy and Strength Surge. Spamming strength surge which allows you to add your barbarian level to grapple (and disarm and nearly every other type of combat maneuver) in particular allowed the two rogues in my party to sneak attack like crazy. Clear Mind is also another winner, can't get enough of rerolls on a failed save.
Either you really thought about your stuff, or you have talent.  Those are damn good power selections.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.