Author Topic: Dwarven persist cleric build  (Read 5109 times)

StPeteGamer

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Dwarven persist cleric build
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
Well I hate to break up the elf debate.  However, in my next campaign I am going to be making a dwarven cleric who is going to try to rape as much as possible out of DMM.  I understand dwarf is not the best race for this, but it is an RP thing.  The way we build characters is usually a +14 to stats (the plus being the total pluses e.g. 18 = +4) with three odds and three evens, with the odds not being able to make an 18 a 19 unless allowed by some kind of racial adjustment.  I want to make a melee with persist abuse and get my DMM on any recommendations for this would be greatly appreciated...

Best spells to persist for melee are:
1) lesser holy transformation(spc) +2str +2con +2saves (all sacred), fly speed of 60ft, darkvision 60ft and creature type becomes good outsider.
2) divine power(phb) +6str (enhancement), +1 temp hp/caster level and bab=character level.
3) righteous might(phb) +4 str +2con (both size) +2 natural armor (enhancement), you double in size also your weapon scales to your size as well and you gain damage reduction 3/good or evil based on energy channeled also scales with caster level.
4) righteous wrath of the faithful(spc) +3 melee attack/damage rolls (morale) and everyone in radius gains one extra attack at highest modifier.

Best spells to extend for melee:
1) magic vestment(phb) +X (enhancement) for your armor or shield.
2) greater magic weapon(phb) +X (enhancement) for your weapon.

Useful spells for persisting:
1) mass lesser vigor(spc) everyone gains fast healing 1.
2) divine retaliation(phb2) every time you are struck in melee a force weapon that your diety favors strikes back for damage equal to a weapon appropriate for your current size category (to hit=caster level+str/wis and damage=weapon damage+1.5str/wis).
3) recitation(spc) +2/3(if worship same diety) attack, armor and saves (all luck).

Most ridiculous spell for persisting:
1) greater anyspell(spc):draconic polymorph(draco) become a dragon equal to you in hit dice (max 20) and also gain +8str +2con (unnamed).

Also don't forget that you can extend the spells you persist so ideally you will have a rotation of certain buff spells to maximize your turn attempts each day.
Other helpful hints are to pick up rods of metamagic:extend so you can extend your highest level castable spells. Also make sure to grab a bead of karma for daily buffing use so you can get the most bang for your buck on your persisted spells and long lasting spells.

Anywho there are a lot of great spells for melee clerics hope these suggestions help  :D

Gold Dwarf is in the FR campaign setting, iirc.
Desert is either UA or Sandstorm, I think UA, though.
Dream is Races of Stone
Koro is from Oriental Adventures.

As for PrCs, you can go Ordained Champion (CC), Knight of the Raven (Exp to Ravenloft), or Bone Knight (5N). Those would be my vote. :D
Gold Dwarf is in the FR campaign setting, iirc.
Desert is either UA or Sandstorm, I think UA, though.
Dream is Races of Stone
Koro is from Oriental Adventures.

As for PrCs, you can go Ordained Champion (CC), Knight of the Raven (Exp to Ravenloft), or Bone Knight (5N). Those would be my vote. :D
By StPeteGamer: above in response to question about good PrCs for melee persist cleric

Also I play in a home brew world that uses the Patheon's from dieties and demigods the most prominent ones being Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and Celtic suggestions for God's/domains would also be appreciated
This is transplanted from the cleric handbook thread as I did not want to completley hijack it to read the entirety see that thread
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:19:03 PM by StPeteGamer »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Dwarven persist cleric build
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:24:48 PM »
LG Dream Dwarf Dread Necro 1/Cloistered Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 10

Domains: Undeath, Planning and Inquisition (Knowledge traded for Devotion)

Trick:
You get Rebuke AND Turn Undead, both of which can be used to power DMM.
Extra Turning increases ALL Turn and Rebuke pools.

Have fun.

StPeteGamer

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 09:29:37 PM »
LG Dream Dwarf Dread Necro 1/Cloistered Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 10

Domains: Undeath, Planning and Inquisition (Knowledge traded for Devotion)

Trick:
You get Rebuke AND Turn Undead, both of which can be used to power DMM.
Extra Turning increases ALL Turn and Rebuke pools.

Have fun.

So you are getting rebuke attempts from Dread Nec? is there no alignment requirement for Dread Nec?  Where is church inquisitor from?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:34:13 PM »
Complete Divine:

Quote from: Crystalkeep
Church Inquisitor(priests tasked with finding subtle evils, including infiltration)(CDiv p26)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »
So you are getting rebuke attempts from Dread Nec? is there no alignment requirement for Dread Nec?  Where is church inquisitor from?
There is no penalty for a Good-aligned Dread Nec.

Church Inquisitor is in Complete Divine. It will eventually give you immunity to Hold, Charm, Dominate and possessions like Magic Jar. You can go it as 3rd level cleric. It is full caster as well, so it is quite a good PrC to get into. A single level dip will nett you the Inquisition Domain, which gives +4 to Dispel attempts, a very good ability. One of the better PrCs for a DMM Cleric.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
Divine Oracle and Contemplative are also sweet. Also check out the Bone Knight (5 nations. Lose a caster level, but you get a whole boatload of immunities).

StPeteGamer

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:25:43 PM »
so the main motivation is the extra domain and the immunitites?
Also, what is in the inquisition domain?

thanks for the help guys

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »
Domain, immunities, full casting, 4+int skills, d8 HD.

Inquisition is only really good for the power. The spells are a bit blah, IIRC.

StPeteGamer

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:11:11 PM »
Domain, immunities, full casting, 4+int skills, d8 HD.

Inquisition is only really good for the power. The spells are a bit blah, IIRC.

so what's the power?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:14:48 PM »
http://users.accesscomm.ca/arcturus/greyhawk/gods/domains/inquisition.htm

The Church Inquisitor also has a couple of abilities to which this bonus applies. You will have to read the CI entry to see which one. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 12:30:12 AM »
Dread Necro requires non-good.  It can be neutral.  It CAN'T be good.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:29 AM »
What happens when you do turn good?

StPeteGamer

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 12:43:58 AM »
Dread Necro requires non-good.  It can be neutral.  It CAN'T be good.

I thought there was an alignment requirement

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »
AJ, you're trying to game the system. The class says you can't be good, just like Barbarians can't be lawful. True, there's no specific listing for what happens when you "become good." But if the DM won't let in FR or Eberron stuff, s/he likely won't allow that technicality. ;)

That's like me suggesting he pick up the air domain to fuel divine feats.  :rolleyes

SPG what's your starting level?  I'd recomment (Cloistered maybe) Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor X/Contemplative 1/Divine Oracle 2/Knight of the Raven Y.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 01:01:49 AM »
LN Dread Necro/Cloistered Cleric/Church Inquisitor.  Just be the disciple of a death deity, like Horus-Re or Hades or Osiris.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 01:12:14 AM »
Yes. LN works just as well. LG is just flavour.

Blade, Anubis?

StPeteGamer

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 02:09:03 AM »
SPG what's your starting level?  I'd recomment (Cloistered maybe) Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor X/Contemplative 1/Divine Oracle 2/Knight of the Raven Y.

We havent started yet I just want to get all the mechanics of the build worked out before we do.  Usually we start in the 4-8 range.  The lowest we have started recently is like 3 the high would be like 8 but the three was a kind of one off mini-campaign.  Yes I am currently playing a cloistered cleric build with the Walker in the waste PrC out of sandstorm and I really enjoy it.
However, is it the most effective build for a banger would it not be better to be a straight cleric so I can wear full plate?  Since I am a dwarf it seems a waste to not be able to wear plate...

I will have to check on those god's and find out what their domains are...

Thank you for all the help guys it is greatly appreciated.  Hopefully I will get this whole build hammered out soon and post it up and maybe it will be included in the handbook  ;)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 03:06:08 AM »
Depends on your Dex. If it is high enough, heavy armour becomes a detriment. The difference between mithril full platemail and mithril breastplate is 3-5 points.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 03:09:43 AM »
DN can only cast in light armor anyway.  At high levels, you can simply ignore those extra spells (or fill them with out of combat things you can afford to fail on.)  At low levels, wearing heavy armor will hurt though.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286