Author Topic: CO CHALLENGE: Lurkers Unite!  (Read 5098 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
CO CHALLENGE: Lurkers Unite!
« on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:01 AM »
The CO Call Out Thread inspired me to do this.  I love having everyone coming over from wherever you came from and joining us here.  I especially love that all the lurkers are coming out to at least introduce themselves.

So... This is for all you lurkers.  Time to get your optimization on.

Rules:

You have to be a lurker, either here or at WotC
Make a build, using 32 Point-Buy and standard wealth.
Level 10 or Level 20.
The build is centered around the LURK class from Complete Psionic.  Your build does not have to be completely LURK based, but you have to use it. (Which kind of implies that you should stick to the D&D ruleset)
Have fun!

Go get your lurk on :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:32:50 AM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: CO CHALLENGE: Lurkers Unite!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:45:14 AM »
idea up for grabs: take one of those fear based builds where your sneak attack renders a foe shaken, and a shaken foe is flatfooted or whatever, and use the Lurk augment Deceptive Strike to ensure that first sneak attack.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 04:48:56 AM »
Oh, I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to use Complete Psionic. I much prefer the Untapped Potential book.  :)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:25:32 AM »
The challenge should also limit (or at least state) what books are in play.  After all, this forum isn't WotC specific.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:28:07 AM »
The challenge should also limit (or at least state) what books are in play.  After all, this forum isn't WotC specific.
The idea is to get lurkers posting and give them a chance to try something new out, so I figured why limit it? Let it be free range; let them stretch their optimization legs, so to speak.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:29:51 AM »
So I can use Shadowrun?  :wall

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
Happy? :eh
Also, no. You're about as far from a lurker as they get, so you can't play  :pout
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:43 AM »
Quote from: aftercrescent
Yes...Also, no. You're about as far from a lurker as they get, so you can't play  :pout
Never said I wanted to :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:56:55 PM by PhoenixInferno »

EntropicShadow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Doth thou desire power?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:31 AM »
Ok, here is a quick, incomplete shot at this.  Running with Surreal's suggestion.  This is less than optimal, but I really can't see much to do with the Lurk
Kalashtar Lurk 7/Avenging Executioner 5/Lurk 8
Str 12, Dex 16 (18), Con 10, Int 16 (19), Wis 10, Cha 12

Feats
 1: Linked Power
 3: Lurk Master
 6: Psicrystal Affinity
 9: Psicrystal Containment
12: Stygian Archon
15: Stygian Power
18: ???

Powers
1st - Grease, Offensive Precog, Burst
2nd - Stygian Weapon, Animal Affinity, Concealing Amorpha
3rd - Speak with Dead,

Basic Strategy:
1st Round: Use both your and your psicrystals psionic focus to manifest Stygian Weapon linked with a stygian power Stygian Weapon.  Move up to your target, and attack if possible. 
2nd Round: Use Deceptive Strike and stab your target with sneak attack and sudden strike goodness.  Stygian Weapon kicks in, lowering their saves among other things.  With their now lowered save, they have to save against fear from Stygian Power and from Bloody Blade.  If you want, demoralize them with a move action, potentially panicking them for a minute. 
Other rounds: Stab and repeat as necessary, recharging focus when given the chance.  You could also switch the order of the linked Stygian Weapons to start hitting them with fear earlier.

I never really bother with equipment for builds because of the group I play in, but Int and Dex boosting items are a must.

So after looking at Lurk again, metapsionics isn't great for them due to the way their sneak attack works.  Ah well...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:31:19 AM by EntropicShadow »
'Cause I'm a bit part demon, a small-time misfit
I say you'll be "Dead by Dawn" but I don't really mean it.
I'm a threat to no one. The other deadites make fun...
You suck!
Of me, Evil Eddy,the bit part demon

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:08:29 AM »
Completely different angle:

Mindrender
I know gameology-fu.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »
Callix - would weapon crystals help out this build? If you can deliver sneak attacks to constucts/undead you should be able to do mental damage and even mindless creatures have a wisdom score   :wink
Remember: Undead are only immune to physical ability damage, not mental
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:19:19 AM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »
Only one question: Can you use a weapon crystal on a mind blade? If you can, then the Truedeath crystal is a must-have. Zombie tarrasque? 2 hits.
And, like all high-level soulknives, he can one-shot the Tarrasque. Since he's attacking a touch AC of 5, I think he hits.

For everything else, there's psions.
*cough*Ego Whip*cough*
I know gameology-fu.

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
I'll be in on this.  I kind of like the Lurk (silly as that sounds).

Infinitive

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »
Well, this is an older build of mine, and one I usually use with Rogue (because it works better, thanks to Daring Outlaw, but w/e), but it's easy enough to adapt to Lurk.

Richard B. Riddick
CE Human
Swashbuckler 3/ Lurk 3/ Avenging Executioner 5/ Ghost-Faced Killer 8/ Lion Totem Barbarian 1

Str: 10
Dex: 21
Con: 14
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 14

Feats:
1: TWF, Weapon Finesse (Swash), Combat Expertise
3: Power Attack
6: Deadly Defense
9: ITWF
12: Staggaring Strike
15: Indimidating Strike
18: GTWF

BAB: +17

Relevant Gear: 2 enchanted daggers (enchant as you personally prefer), Belt of Magnificence +6, Blindfold of Nightvision (form of goggles for flavor), Vest of Resistance +5, +5 Silent Moves, Blackened, Mithral Breastplate, Tome of Dex +5, Tome of Cha +4.

The Plan: Between Intimidating Strike and Bloody Blade, from Avenging Executioner, you're a one-man Panic machine.  Ghost-Faced Killer gives you the ability to put your foes on flat-footed pretty well at will if they manage to make their saves, and if they don't, they're dead anyway (given that you've got 7 attacks with a total of 8 dice of precision damage and Pounce, which is bumped to 9 after Deadly Defense joins the party).  Basically, anyone you pounce should die the turn you pounce them, and if you're prevented from doing this somehow, you play the mind-affecting fear effect game.  I like this build better with Rogue in place of Lurk because you can squeeze another precision damage die in with Daring Outlaw, plus the Rogue ACF that gives you 1/2 precision damage dice against things that you can't normally sneak attack, but this works well enough.

Regardless, before you figure in weapon enchants, you're averaging 280 damage per turn with this build, which isn't too shabby.  Make those daggers add 5d6 damage per (which isn't terribly remarkable) and you're up to 402 damage per turn average.
Persistance: Because sometimes you're the gnome, and sometimes you're the dragon.

highbulp

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 12:34:59 PM »
I always kind of liked using Lurk in a Changling Mindspy build. Changeling Rogue 3 / Lurk 7 / Cabinet Trickster 5 / Mindspy 5. If I have time this evening I'll post a full mock-up.

... I'm pretty sure I count as a lurker :p

Paper Weasel

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 03:59:42 PM »
I'm a grade-A lurker; I'll be participating in this challenge eventually.

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
Never ever used Lurk for anything... But I guess I'll try too.
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 06:01:19 PM »
Blast! If only I knew how to use psionics! Plus I don't own the books, so don't count on me participating. :'(

felirc

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
I would love to participate in this, but I'm afraid I refuse to buy complete psionic.  :P Good luck to everyone else though!

-Felirc-

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 06:42:26 PM »
Oh dear...

I just realised that the optimal build for the Mindrender is actually Lurk 20. This gives you the ability to hit someone for 12 Int or Wis damage, so the Balor is back in range. Also, it gives you enough PP to do it seven times a day, making it a viable four-encounter-a-day strategy if one of those is against either an animal or a melee bruiser. It also gets you Temporal Acceleration for those fights where you really don't want the other guy to get an action in.

Since we dump a *lot* of pp into each opponent, and both add to our Initiative, Headband/Tome of Int is better than Gloves/Manual of Dex. Both are still needed.

Also, swap the race to Human and grab Ranged Lurk Augment. Much easier than having to boost Str.
I know gameology-fu.