Author Topic: Necromancer Help.  (Read 6608 times)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Necromancer Help.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 08:41:21 AM »
Most of your good debuffing necro spells are rays or touch spells so two good feats are split ray and reach spell. At level 6 it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a couple of slpit rayed rays of emfeeblement handy.

Thine Doom Be Had

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »
One of the tactics I planned on using was getting a bunch of shadows (or better) go underground, move bellow an enemy, and simultaniously (...well at least one after the other) drain said enemy. I thought it was a good tactic, my DM thinks it's stupid but only because it works. Do you guys like it? I hope so.
4e is a fine game.  It is not, however, the same type of game as 3.5.  For those of us who really liked the type of game 3.5 was, 4e just doesn't cut the mustard.  Yes, I tried playing it.  I was bored.  So was the rest of my gaming group.  I know there are people who love it... good for them.  But in the end, calling 4e a sequel of 3.5 is like calling checkers a sequel of chess.

JaronK

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 03:07:28 AM »
It's decent.  Given how weak Shadows are, you'll want a Bard there giving Inspire Courage bonuses to them with Requiem.

Thine Doom Be Had

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 06:54:23 AM »
It's decent.  Given how weak Shadows are, you'll want a Bard there giving Inspire Courage bonuses to them with Requiem.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll get working on some stuff for my character asap. Can't wait to play!!  :D :love
4e is a fine game.  It is not, however, the same type of game as 3.5.  For those of us who really liked the type of game 3.5 was, 4e just doesn't cut the mustard.  Yes, I tried playing it.  I was bored.  So was the rest of my gaming group.  I know there are people who love it... good for them.  But in the end, calling 4e a sequel of 3.5 is like calling checkers a sequel of chess.

JaronK

Caedrus

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 08:04:33 AM »
I am running a necromancer at the moment.

There are a few things I would recommend, but please do bear in mind that my build specifically stays away from undead minions (it's a RP thing)...

Half-Elf Bard 1 / Focussed Necromancer 1 / Cleric 3 (Death & Dream Domains) / Mystic Theurge 5 / Sublime Chord 1 / Fochlucan Lyrist 9.

To answer many questions:

Yes, Skill Points are extremely tight.
Yes, it does use the chenanigans of Versatile Spellcaster.
Yes, it is an end-game heavy hitter, and can be quite weak early on.

Why do I like this build?

Access to 9th level Cleric & Wizard spells.
Access to Complete Champion's Charnel Miasma Reserve Feat.

I also utilise the Song of the Dead from the Dragon Compendium, and Fell-Frightening from Libris Mortis.

You see, this build is a Lawful Good undead slayer type. It's not enough to be able to blast undead. You have to be able to make them fear you.

The half-elf bard thing helps with low-level Diplomancy in early game, then using fear in mid-game, then spells in end game.

That's the rough build, I can expand on it should you wish.

Oh, and a Slaymate is very powerful in this build.

And to answer a final unasked question, I do love fear builds.

Hope this helps.

C.
Goodnight, Gentlemen; and Thank You.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
I am running a necromancer at the moment.

There are a few things I would recommend, but please do bear in mind that my build specifically stays away from undead minions (it's a RP thing)...

Half-Elf Bard 1 / Focussed Necromancer 1 / Cleric 3 (Death & Dream Domains) / Mystic Theurge 5 / Sublime Chord 1 / Fochlucan Lyrist 9.

To answer many questions:

Yes, Skill Points are extremely tight.
Yes, it does use the chenanigans of Versatile Spellcaster.
Yes, it is an end-game heavy hitter, and can be quite weak early on.

Why do I like this build?

Access to 9th level Cleric & Wizard spells.
Access to Complete Champion's Charnel Miasma Reserve Feat.

I also utilise the Song of the Dead from the Dragon Compendium, and Fell-Frightening from Libris Mortis.

You see, this build is a Lawful Good undead slayer type. It's not enough to be able to blast undead. You have to be able to make them fear you.

The half-elf bard thing helps with low-level Diplomancy in early game, then using fear in mid-game, then spells in end game.

That's the rough build, I can expand on it should you wish.

Oh, and a Slaymate is very powerful in this build.

And to answer a final unasked question, I do love fear builds.

Hope this helps.

C.

Where are you getting the Evasion for Fochlucan Lyrist? If you're using a Ring of Evasion to qualify, you might want to point that out for people skimming your build. Otherwise it seems like a decent SC build, if a bit ... scattered here and there.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Caedrus

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 05:55:07 AM »
Echoes,

The evasion comes from the Shadow template, which was bought off with LA buy-off, a valid point. The access to the Druidic langauge comes from Bardic Tutelege, from Champions of Valour.

The build is, well, scattered isn't the term I would use, but it is specifically structured to achieve certain goals, the most important being the roleplaying one.

C.
Goodnight, Gentlemen; and Thank You.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »
I want to try out this on a low-level Necromancer:

Female Kobold Necromancer, Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement options, keeps Transmutation, Hawk Familiar, Mounted Combat, Ride-by-Attack (w/ flaw), decent Dex.

Casts Enlarge Person, shares w/ familiar.  Casts Reduce person, doesn't share.  Casts Disguise Self, shares. 

Rides his small-sized hawk familiar while casting Chill Touch, delivering w/ natural attacks, while appearing like a miniature-dragon knight complete w/ lance.