Author Topic: Simple Psionic Trick  (Read 3644 times)

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Simple Psionic Trick
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
Looking at some metapsionic feats to get with a psywar I'm planning, I found two I liked in the Complete Psionic. I was wondering if someone has found this little trick using them, if it works, and if anyone knows if it's worth something in actual gameplay.

The trick isn't broken, but looks nice to me. The feats are Linked Power and Metapower.

The trick: According to my reading of linked power, the second power doesn't change the parameters of the first one, so any power chosen to be cast on the second turn would be casted as a... no-action, independently of the original casting time of the power. So, if you manifest, for example, a linked adrenaline boost + Claws of the Vampire, you would be manifesting both for 6 points as a swift action, with the condition of Claws of the vampire being effective on your next turn. Or you could manifest Psionic Grease and Psionic Identify for 3 pp in order to get the item identified ASAP.

The second works well with this. According to Linked Power, the cost from the second power is paid as a metapsionic cost, so you could use metapower to reduce it. So, if you get metapower (Adrenaline Boost) and Linked power, any power you manifest on yourself would be cast as a swift action and for 1 pp less than his original cost.

Not broken, I think, but this is the cheapest "unlimited" quicken i've found ever. That said, it costs 2 feats, and you have to find a 1st level power with a manifesting time of a swift action that targets your intended target. Nice for psychic warriors, who usually are starved for both PPs and actions, but not so much for feats.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:26:13 PM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
Re: Simple Psionic Trick
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »
Hustle is a better option IMO because it grants a move action to regain focus with psionic meditation.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »
Hey, Adrenaline Boost was just an idea. That said, I agree on hustle. It would change the text on linked power to "For 3 extra power points (1 if you have Metapower), manifest any power you know which has you as a target as a swift action. You get the benefits of the power on your next round. This feat doesn't spend your psionic focus"
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
Yes, it's been known for a long time. Link Power one of the "broken" things in CPsi, not because it's overpowered (though it can be) but because of its weird unintended consequences - like the Identify trick you mention.
Unresolved questions involve whether you chain-link powers (the linked power links to another one - with Psicrystal Containment of course)... and some others I've forgotten. I'd actually recommend posting on the WotC Psionics board - most of the experts hang out there.

Note that you can combine it with Catfall (an otherwise terrible power) to get a really cheap "Psionic Celerity" effect... with only loss of focus - no daze.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:35:04 PM »
I was sure that it should be known by now - CPsi has been on the shelves for a lot of time now.

That said, any PsyWar I build will have this trick. I don't think that anyone would disapprove if I use it on a psywar, and quick buffing is always nice. And that catfall trick is also very nice.
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
It's a lovely trick, but there's a limitation that most people overlook, including most of the explicit tricks here.  The Linked powers both have to have the same target.  So you'd have to target the object with the quick power before identifying it in a single round.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »
Which makes it hilarious when you combine it with Time Hop (not PP-efficient, I know). "By making this item disappear I know what it does !"

My calling the Catfall+Linked Power trick a "Psionic Celerity" effect was also wildly inaccurate since it doesn't allow to actually use a power out-of-turn - I spoke without thinking. It does enable faster buffing : your buffs take effect 1 round earlier than with a swift action linked power.

Linking Synchronicity (CPsi) could be interesting for extra actions...
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »
Isn't catfall an immediate action so you could cast is whenever you fell like it, as long as your not flatfooted of course.

It may make bite of the wolf kinda usefull too for low level stuff (1 PP for 1d6-4d8 extra dmg for 1min/level sounds like a good deal).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:06:45 PM by Cyrocloud »

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 01:12:32 PM »
The linked power still only applies in your next round, not at the time of manifesting the initiating power.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:02:18 PM »
It's a lovely trick, but there's a limitation that most people overlook, including most of the explicit tricks here.  The Linked powers both have to have the same target.  So you'd have to target the object with the quick power before identifying it in a single round.
That's why it's primarily good for psychic warriors.

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »

Oh, I'd disagree with that.  I got a lot of mileage using AoE blasts to recast my Astral Construct in a recent arena game.

And synchronicity is great, obviously, if your DM isn't awake enough to ban it.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »

Oh, I'd disagree with that.  I got a lot of mileage using AoE blasts to recast my Astral Construct in a recent arena game.

And synchronicity is great, obviously, if your DM isn't awake enough to ban it.
Let me be more clear:
Because most of psychic warrior powers are personal link power is more likely to get used on any given turn than on a psion because a psion has more options.  Also, psychic warriors get cheaper hustle for quicken lite.

Link power is by no means a bad feat for a psion to take though.  I almost always manage to squeeze it in.