Author Topic: Fear the Half-Elf  (Read 3029 times)

Fusecase

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Fear the Half-Elf
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »
Hello all,
I'm just checking the viability of a build, and would like some imput.

Note: No stats will be assumed, no gear will be tallied in, and nothing will be dependent on interpretation.

Let us begin then.

Half-Elf Warblade 7/ Crusader 3/ Eternal Blade 10

Notable Feats: Wild Talent, Weapon Focus, Deep Impact, Iron Heart Aura, Stormguard Warrior, and Leadership

Notable Strikes: Avalanche of Blades and Diamond Nightmare Blade

Notable Stances: Aura of Perfect Order

Notable Class Features: Island in Time

Cohort: Half-Elf Arcane 7/ Divine 1/ Dweomerkeeper 10 (Casting Styles dont matter)

Notable Spells: Mind Blank, Superior Invisibility, and Forcecage

The plan: Cohort Mage scans universe with divination to find the target, or at least an acceptable attack point. Superior Invis and Mind blank are thrown up on the Mage, and the duo teleports out to the field. The Warrior challenges the target, and delays until he is next to the target. The target can either charge or flee, but the Mage will teleport the Warrior to him if he doesn't close the distance. The Warrior spends his first round unloading an Avalanche of Blades channeled "into the storm". Now he allows his spirit companion to take control and acts immediately again at the end of his initiative. Unloading a Deep Impacted Diamond Nightmare Blade of Perfect Order, there is no roll for the touch attack of death.

Now lets assume the gear is moderate and the stats were average at creation so 7-8 Avalanche hits shouldnt be too bad on an unprepared target so average the damage to 70 per hit, but this is x4 so 280 damage. I would rule that to be a fort save of DC 38 (15 at 50 for medium damage threshold, +1 per 10 above that...) fortitude save or die instantly from shock and awesome.

Things could get all kinds of nasty after this with buffs and more honed gear, not to mention power attack...
But in the end one pair of law's most outstanding enforcers killed a chaotic element too powerful to exist and return home to do paperwork.

But wait Fusecase... You've mislead us. Why did the cohort sacrifice a caster level to a divine class for dweomerkeeper and for that matter why forcecage at all?

Ah good CO community, I hadn't forgotten that. With this adventuring duo being the champions of law they know full well the value of all laws and most specifically Murphy's law. The Mage is invisible to as much detection as he can possibly be so that he can unleash supernatural forcecages upon his partner when the subject survives or worse, there is more than one that must be dealt with. Given five minutes (the time that is required to declare a character free of an encounter), the Warrior can meditate himself back to full preparation and the Mage can send him to either reengage or engage the target.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Fear the Half-Elf
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 05:24:46 AM »
I don't know where you get the damage, but that is not important. The serious question is:

Why the hell do you want to be half-elf?
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
I hate to sound like an ass, but you do realize that this has nothing do with being a half-elf, right?

Any race could do this. Heck, anyone using Leadership can pretty much do anything they want to do.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Fusecase

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »
Half-Elf can do the original build without any exp penalties, nor a penalty to con or int (I looked, there wasn't one) while being an ELF.

Eternal blade requires elf, and I thought it was like the second good 1/2elf build (first being the bard sub) that didn't make early levels a bit harder than they have to for a melee elf.

This is actually built for use by a DM or player.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »
Quote from: Fusecase
Half-Elf can do the original build without any exp penalties, nor a penalty to con or int
Fair enough, though I hate experience penalties with a passion and think playing with them is just unnecessarily restrictive. To each his or her own.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:26:52 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Fusecase

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
Quote from: Fusecase
Half-Elf can do the original build without any exp penalties, nor a penalty to con or int
Fair enough, though I hate experience penalties with a passion and think playing with them is just unnecessarily restrictive. To each his or her own.

I find the second the most important and usually disregard the first :), but I can't forget those that don't use many houserules  :-\.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 12:18:56 PM »

I'd add a rant about most racial prereq. *rants*
Why can't a gnome become an Eternal Blade ?!

Anyway, Fusecase you're right to follow RAW in this. The Stormguard + Island in Time combo is very nice (and already known) but unfortunately only available at level 20. Luckily we're using ToB classes so the build is viable at all levels.

Maybe you should present it as a party combo instead of a PC + cohort, because as others have said Leadership is just... well, there are no words for it. Also, the cohort has to get a Cleric level for the Magic domain - so it's not any divine class.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 04:17:23 PM »
Because gnomes have shadowcraft mages. Good luck convincing the gnomes to share that.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
Because gnomes have shadowcraft mages. Good luck convincing the gnomes to share that.
Let the elves keep their goddamn Champion of Corellon Larethian...

Handy Links

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Level 18 cohort? I thought it capped at 17...

And I fear half-elves mostly because they're willing to breed with anything and make something even weirder.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »

Well, the SCM does have an Adaptation section that lets you become one if you've been taught by gnomes or some kind of SCM club. Not so for many other racial PrCs...
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Fusecase

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »
Well, Gnomes will let you in on the secrets of shadow illusions, only before their cleric splits your sides with the killing joke :P

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »
I thought that involved paralyzing the daughter of the captain of the city guard ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol