Author Topic: Iron Chef Character Optimization  (Read 75809 times)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Iron Chef Character Optimization
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2008, 02:53:15 AM »
Ah, nifty - I didn't catch that the last half was different.  Cool quote though =) 

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
Woo! Finally submitted my build. Took so long but hopefully they like it.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2008, 12:30:50 AM »
I'm out. I give up. Not only is the build not that great, but it's not original, either. I fail. =/ oh well.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »
Don't worry Wooden...I ended up semi-crippling my proposed character after I found a pretty unknown spell that really intrigued me and made me want to make a build around it.  Still, it was silly, and the character will actually be fun to play if I ever get the chance.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
The competition is not supposed to yield Tier 0 CoDzilla monsters anyway, at least I would give more points from originality than super-optimization.

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
What Tshern said.

As Caelic put it, Beastmaster was chosen to see what could be made other than a supermount. Originality has its place. You know, as long as it's not gimped. ;)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »
The competition is not supposed to yield Tier 0 CoDzilla monsters anyway
What!?
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
The competition is not supposed to yield Tier 0 CoDzilla monsters anyway, at least I would give more points from originality than super-optimization.
That's unpossible!

I'm not really feeling this one, so I probably won't be turning in a build. Obviously someone else has already had a similar idea, so I mostly want to see how that turns out.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »
I sent it in, I'm a little disapointed in it personally since I rushed to finish it (mainly by skipping over items). 

Out of curiousity how many people went in the direction of makeing your pets stronger and how many went in the direction of being a master of all beasts (probably through obscenly hight Handle animal and that eberron item that allows you to use handel animal on magical beasts and such, probably also picking up the animal cohort)?

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2008, 11:04:14 PM »
Out of curiousity how many people went in the direction of makeing your pets stronger and how many went in the direction of being a master of all beasts (probably through obscenly hight Handle animal and that eberron item that allows you to use handel animal on magical beasts and such, probably also picking up the animal cohort)?

Neither...

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2008, 12:51:07 AM »
Ubernoob(i think archerpwr) got banned? From gleemax?

Why?

BTW

I'd like to ask, how many builds are still being submited?

D-End
Remember the G0 vs Autumn fiasco?  I sided with Autumn pretty damn early on.  Got a three day ban that wiped my sig.

The what?

God, I stoped being on the forums all the time and Ii miss everything, I need a life now...

Is that in a thread? (linky?)

Thanks

D-End

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #251 on: September 28, 2008, 01:38:25 AM »
Ubernoob(i think archerpwr) got banned? From gleemax?

Why?

BTW

I'd like to ask, how many builds are still being submited?

D-End
Remember the G0 vs Autumn fiasco?  I sided with Autumn pretty damn early on.  Got a three day ban that wiped my sig.

The what?

God, I stoped being on the forums all the time and Ii miss everything, I need a life now...

Is that in a thread? (linky?)

Thanks

D-End

One single thread? No, sir. That fiasco occupied many a thread and was practically responsible for the creation of these forums. I'll have to dredge up and archive the threads at some point for posterity, but I'm not looking forward to that. I doubt half the relevant threads/posts are still there.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »
+++EDIT+++
I might have broken a rule, so just to be on the safe side, I'll remove this.
You're welcome to ship this of to the garbage bin.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:09:34 PM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
WOW

I missed alot?

The only thing I know that its a fight.

What was it about?

*please no palies killing babies with katanas...*

Could I get info? I have to admit, I'm VERY curious now...

It was strong enough to make this forum? wow, im impressed.

No wait.

They talked about religion didnt they?

-.-

D-End

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2008, 04:17:57 PM »
If you really want to know, send a PM to Meg. This forum was NOT made because of an event on WotC forums. It was made to promote the BG podcast. This thread is not the place to discuss it. When you're a little more active in the forum, you'll be able to find it buried around here somewhere. So either do that or PM Meg.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »
If you really want to know, send a PM to Meg. This forum was NOT made because of an event on WotC forums. It was made to promote the BG podcast. This thread is not the place to discuss it. When you're a little more active in the forum, you'll be able to find it buried around here somewhere. So either do that or PM Meg.

*Brain fart*

Meg?

*/Brain fart*

Oh and sorry...

When are the builds due?

How many people are still in?

D-End

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »
The timer has counted down, and the kitchen is officially closed.  Builds will be posted later today.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2008, 04:21:09 AM »
Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people came up with, since I wasn't able to make anything worth submitting.  :-\

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »
Serving first: Chef Callix.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
Serving second: Chef Akalsaris

Coronus, the Crocodile Tosser

Celebrity Guest Star 1: Oh!!  Look!  Something is going on in that corner!

Celebrity Guest Star 2: How odd!  It seems he is some kind of ranged attacker! 
Books used:
[spoiler]Complete Adventurer (Beastmaster, Natural Bond, Brutal Throw)
Complete Warrior (Hulking Hurler)
Spell Compendium (Wild Runner, Bite of the Werebear)
Planar Handbook (Natural Heavyweight)
Eberron Campaign Setting (Horrid Elephant)[/spoiler]

Questionable stuff: this character only qualifies for Hulking Hurler while under the effects of spells that increase his size to large.

5th level build: Coronus, CN Human Druid 5

Flavor: [spoiler]Coronus the Spear is the son of the noble Caeneus, an invulnerable warrior who was killed by centaur.  Raised by centaurs in Caeneus' honor, Coronus scorns humanity, preferring to live in unspoiled nature, leading his kin in wild celebrations to Ixion, their savage god of warfare and nature.  Since his birth, he has been bonded to Cerberus, a mighty riding dog!
[/spoiler]
How he works: [spoiler]at low levels, Coronus throws spears at opponents and utilizes Entangle and other low-level control spells.  He is probably the party's primary healer and crowd control at these levels, and with some barding his dog works as a decent tank.  Depending on the game, he might control several animals (either trained in the wild or purchased, especially wartrained animals), and spend part of combat directing those minions.  At 5th level, he gets 3rd level spells, which means he is automatically badass.  Unlike most sane druids, Coronus takes Draconic Aspect at 5th level, because he has a plan for something starting at 7th level...[/spoiler]

Stats: 25PB
[spoiler]Str: 13 (+1)
Dex: 8 (-1)
Con: 16 (+3)
Int: 8 (-1)
Wis: 18 (+4)
Cha: 8 (-1)[/spoiler]

Racial abilities: as a standard human

Skills: (4)
[spoiler]Concentration 8 ranks
Handle Animal 8 ranks
Survival 5 ranks
Knowledge (Nature) 5 ranks
Listen 3 ranks[/spoiler]

Feats:
1st char:  Point Blank Shot
1st human bonus: Brutal Throw
3rd char: Weapon Focus: Javelin

Class abilities:
[spoiler]Spontaneous Casting (Summon Animal)
Animal Companion (Crocodile)
Nature Sense
Wild Empathy
Woodland Stride
Trackless Step
Resist Nature's Lure
Aspect of the Dragon 1/day (ACF: Dragon Magic)[/spoiler]

Suggested items: purchasing wartrained animals (750g for a rhino?  Sign me up!) is nearly always a good bet.  Otherwise, standard low-level gear.

10th level build: Coronus, CN Human Druid 8/Hulking Hurler 2

Celebrity Guest Star 1: Ah!  Now I see!  He takes his animal companions...

Celebrity Guest Star 2: And throws them?!

Flavor: [spoiler]Coronus was imprisoned upon the Isle of Circe, a powerful enchantress who controls the shapes of men.  During his escape, he stole many of her secret charms, and subsequently learned how to take the shape of others - allowing him to fulfill his greatest wish - to achieve the form of the centaurs he once lived alongside!  Armed with his new-found powers, Coronus abandoned his studies of druidism, reveling in his powerful new form!  Unfortunately for Cerberus, the loyal dog soon found himself abandoned for Gomek the Giant Crocodile.  [/spoiler]

How he works: [spoiler]at this level, Coronus can cast Wild Runner 3/day, for 80 minutes/spell.  In centaur form with his belt and Draconic Aspect, he has a strength of 28, and can throw up to 2,400 pounds with overburdened heave (as a large quadruped). 

Now, according to Wikipedia's entry on crocodiles, "larger species can reach over 4.85 m (16 ft) long and weigh well over 1200 kg (2,640 lb)."  That means that Coronus can toss Gomek the Giant Crocodile at a foe, dealing 15d6 damage - before Gomek begins to chomp down on the poor bastard. 

Coronus can still act as a decent spell-caster and out-of-combat healer as well, and his animal companion is still almost as strong as that of a druid of his level.  [/spoiler]

Con: 16 (+4)

Skills:
[spoiler]Concentration 11 ranks
Handle Animal 11 ranks
Survival 5 ranks
Listen 7 ranks
Jump 4 ranks[/spoiler]

Feats:
[spoiler]1st char:  Point Blank Shot
6th char: Power Attack
9th char: Skill Focus: Handle Animal[/spoiler]

Class abilities:
Animal Companion
Nature Sense
Wild Empathy
Woodland Stride
Trackless Step
Resist Nature's Lure
Draconic Aspect 3/day [/spoiler]

Equipment: [spoiler]as before, Coronus is not particularly dependent on equipment other that strength-boosters.  If starting at this level, I would spend my 49k as so:
36k on a Collar/Necklace of Strength +6 (eventually you might give this to an animal companion)
4.5k on a Wand of Wild Runner
6k on Strongarm Bracers (MIC, use items as if 1 size larger: potentially allows colossal items to be thrown)
2k on Gauntlets of Extended Range (MIC, doubles range of thrown weapons)
1.5k on various adventuring items and crud.

Buy a wand of Enlarge Person  for your party arcanist if you want to throw your crocodile around when you're out of 4th level spells.  A bag of holding or portable hole to hold your ammunition might come in handy as well.[/spoiler]

Sweet spot build (level: 12th): Coronus, CN Human Druid 8/Hulking Hurler 2/Beastmaster 2

Celebrity Guest Star 1: LOOK OUT!

*CRASH* as a dire bear flies past them!

Celebrity Guest Star 2: Quick, cut to the commercial!

Flavor: [spoiler]Realizing the emptiness in a life devoted to throwing heavy rocks, Coronus begins to search for another meaning in life.  He cannot bring himself to fully abandon the life of a warrior, but he returns to his natural roots and starts down the path of animal-tossing with increased fervor.  Sadly, Gomek just can't satisfy Coronus' mad desire to throw heavy omnivores, so he is dumped aside in favor of Buri the Dire Bear.[/spoiler]

How he works: [spoiler]at this level, Coronus has Natural Heavyweight, so he can toss 4,800 (that's 27d6) pounds of animal around with impunity.  That's more than gaint crocodiles max out at, and sadly less than the 26,000 pounds that elephants can hit, so let's shoot for an undersized dire bear - at 12HD, this thing is probably going to be hitting harder than Coronus (well, after the round that he tosses it for 27d6, anyhow).

Coronus can still act as a sub-par spell-caster and out-of-combat healer as well, and his animal companion is now stronger than that of a druid of his level.  [/spoiler]

Con: 17 (+4)

Skills:
Handle Animal 14 ranks
Survival 5 ranks
Listen 12 ranks
Jump 4 ranks[/spoiler]

Feats:
9th char: Skill Focus: Handle Animal
12th char: Natural Heavyweight (double carrying capacity)  [/spoiler]

Class abilities:
Animal Companion
Nature Sense
Wild Empathy
Woodland Stride
Trackless Step
Resist Nature's Lure
Draconic Aspect 3/day
Alertness[/spoiler]

Equipment: same as the previous level, plus anything you can think up to increase strength.   

15th level build: Coronus, CN Human Druid 8/Hulking Hurler 2/Beastmaster 5

Celebrity Guest Star 1: Ooh, five levels of beastmaster!  You know what that means?

Celebrity Guest Star 2: Yes!  Now he has low-light vision!

Flavor: continuing down the dark, twisted path of the animal-tosser, Coronus steps up to the plate with Tiberius the Dire Tiger, second cousin to the dreaded Nemean Lion.

How he works: [spoiler]Now Coronus has a second animal companion (hello Bellapheron, my soon-to-be-flying heavy horse!) 

Coronus can still act as a buffer and out-of-combat healer as well, and his main animal companion is still stronger than that of a druid of his level.  His Listen ranks finally pass 12, so he can use Listening Lorecall to get some long-term blindsense going.  He grabs Tiberius the Dire Tiger, tossing 16 HD of snarling fangs and claws at his enemies! [/spoiler]

Con: 17 (+4)

Skills:
Handle Animal 18 ranks
Survival 5 ranks
Listen 12 ranks
Spot 8 ranks
Jump 4 ranks[/spoiler]

Feats:
12th char: Natural Heavyweight
15th char: Natural Bond (like every other multi-classed build in this challenge, I'll bet!)[/spoiler]

Class abilities:
Animal Companion
Nature Sense
Wild Empathy
Woodland Stride
Trackless Step
Resist Nature's Lure
Draconic Aspect 3/day
Alertness
Speak with Animals 1/day
Low-Light Vision
Extra Animal Companion[/spoiler]

Equipment: At this point it's probably a good idea to improve Coronus' defenses and utility stuff, so that he's still useful to the party out of combat.

20th level build: Coronus, CN Human Druid 11/Hulking Hurler 2/Beastmaster 7

Celebrity Guest Star 1: Hey, what's got 4 legs and loves to travel?

Celebrity Guest Star 2: A flying horrid elephant!!!

Flavor: [spoiler]after a close encounter with the dreaded Stymphalian Birds, Coronus, much like Rocky Balboa, realizes that the path of the animal-tosser is self-destructive.  Returning to his earlier studies of druidism, he finds himself quickly elevated to arch-druid of the centaurs.[/spoiler]

How he works: [spoiler]Now Coronus has been joined by all of the pets at the Animal Companion Farm!  So he's got a crocodile, a rhinoceros, and a Horrid Elephant to throw around.  He has Animal Growth now, so his animals are all ridiculously large and fat.  And with Bite of the Werebear, his Strength finally got a solid boost in power, so he can toss Gigas the Elephant around for about 103d6+38, which is some consolation at least.

At this point, it's best to toss the elephant, then cast Animal Growth on it and the other pets before tossing the other two animals.  The 2 loser animals won't do squat in combat, but hopefully after around 309d6+114 of damage, Coronus' enemy should be pretty close to dead anyways.   [/spoiler]

Con: 16 (+3)
Wis: 21 (+5)

Final attack: BAB+17
Spells as an 11th level druid, CL 15.

Skills:
[spoiler]Concentration 15 ranks
Handle Animal 22 ranks
Survival 5 ranks
Listen 16 ranks
Spot 16 ranks
Jump 4 ranks[/spoiler]

Feats:
12th char: Natural Heavyweight
15th char: Natural Bond
18th char: Practiced Spellcaster (Druid)[/spoiler]

Class abilities:
Animal Companion
Nature Sense
Wild Empathy
Woodland Stride
Trackless Step
Resist Nature's Lure
Draconic Aspect 4/day
Alertness
Speak with Animals 2/day
Low-Light Vision
Immunity to Venom
Extra Animal Companion
Second Extra Animal Companion[/spoiler]

Equipment: [spoiler]Now it's time to buy some Prayer Beads, plus a few metamagic wands: extend for Call of the Wild, and Quicken for Bite of the Werebear and Animal Growth, and a +1 book of Wisdom for the extra 6th level spell as well.  Giving the animal companions a few items like slippers of spider-climbing or something (let the elephant fall on some people on his own power!) would also be a good idea.[/spoiler]

Final notes: Draconic Aspect isn't that crucial to the build - it just provides a good low-level boost to strength and can be switched out for wild shape again, which would grant more versatility to the build (and dire apes can throw nearly as well as centaurs at most levels).  I just loved using an under-used spell along with a weak PrC. 

The build, by the way, would be even more viable as a Druid 18/Hulking Hurler 2, using a legendary ape or elephant wildshape to throw your animal companion and stuff.  But that's neither here nor there!