Author Topic: The Way of Tentacle  (Read 4954 times)

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: The Way of Tentacle
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 05:52:05 AM »
Oh, oops, missed his mention of that.

Andy, how long have you been on the internet? Mental images do nothing to me anymore, what is holding you up? besides said tentacles
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 05:54:15 AM »
*sighs*

*explains to nodaisho that he was trying to be funny*

Nodaisho

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 05:56:36 AM »
Ah, okay. Sorry, I do that sometimes too, it doesn't turn out too well.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
*sighs*

*explains to nodaisho that he was trying to be funny*

I have to say it...*winces*:  LOL. *goes to hide in a corner for using lolspk*

Rule 1: NEVER imagine it.

Rule 2: NEVER explain a joke. If it doesn't work, fuckit, too bad :).

Now, even though this thread positively SCREAMED to be derailed, I'll stop now. No, wait, just one more thing:

(1 H) Slimy Skin
(1 B) Illithid Grope
(1 F, Frail) Standstill
(2 B) Improved Unarmed Strike
(2 B) Improved Grope
(3 B) MORE Illithid Grope (extra slime)
(3) Multigrope
(6 B) AND YET MORE Illithid Grope (with a double serving of extra slime....)
(6) Monastic Training (Psycho Warrior)
(9) Tashalatora (is this something dirty?)
(12) Combat Reflexes
(14 B) IT'S REALLY GETTING TOO MUCH Illithid Grope...(you really don't want to imagine it)
(15) Multipenetrate
(17 B) Extended Reach
(18) Greater Multipenetrate
(20 B) Improved Multigrope

SORRY!!!

I have nothing useful to add to the build, unfortunately, it seems to do just what it's supposed to, and has most bases covered. Scary, really, that one can make a build relying entirely on tentacles.

Two things, maybe:

Can you think of a way to get Rakes on your grappled foes?

And if your offense is covered, pick the remaining powers for defensive uses. That's all I can think of.

Fusecase

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that our party tallies up all levels of BAB so the PW and monk ads up to 15 levels of moderate or +11 and the War Mind gives +5 more so it hits 16 BAB

Nodaisho

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »
Ah, okay. Fractional BAB. I like that rule, but haven't seen much use of it outside of D20 modern.

I think you would still be better off with less dead levels of Psychic warrior. 11 psychic warrior/1 monk/1 fighter/7 war mind gives better BAB, better or equal saves, chain of personal superiority +4 rather than +2, 1 more DR, better HP, same feats, and only costs one manifester level, 12 power points, and 1 power known.

You can still use 6th level powers easy, you have 103 power points before bonus for high wis, which is at least 16, giving 27 bonus power points.

And If I were you, I would almost always try to get adjacent to two adjacent monsters, sweeping strike works on all your attacks as far as I can tell.

How are you planning to bypass DR? A ring of adamantine touch makes all your melee weapons (including natural ones) count as adamantine for the purpose of bypassing DR, that is from the MIC. DR/good would still be important though. Does versatile unarmed strike work on natural weapons? That would help with DR that can't be bypassed by bludgeoning.

Fusecase

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 11:14:25 PM »
I like that, I might have my friend (who is taking the character for me) go for that build and that ring. We have a very smart cleric in the group so buffing and finding ways around DR shouldn't be too bad. Plus the damage increase from so many size increases plus the monk unarmed strike should be solid enough to counter most slashing or piercing DRs.

Sadly the DM will be very very stingy on the gold supply in the campaign... so magic items will be chosen with maximum power to gold ratio in mind.

Nodaisho

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 12:55:18 AM »
The adamantine touch ring is a steal, really, 6k. It is as much as two adamantine weapons, which seems good when you think about a dual-wielder using them, but then you realize that they could make their weapons out of aurorum or something instead, and that is one 6k investment for the whole golfbag to count as adamantine. And that isn't even thinking about people who have as many weapons as your build does.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 04:53:41 AM »
Don't forget to throw on the Necropolitan template. If you're going to go around sucking brains, you might as well do it in zombie-esque style.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills