Author Topic: What if spell preparation had same limits as manouvers?  (Read 8760 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: What if spell preparation had same limits as manouvers?
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
No ...  :D

Necromancy and/or Psychoportation

Components:
S as in the typing 
V as in you are talking to yourself (uh-oh), really ... have you seen Silent Library ?!
M while "modem" is the specific thing, the value is perhaps 2 Gold Pieces (real world) but arguably just 1; so it could be a target of Eschew.

Casting Time:
rofl  :lmao about half of the posts on this board musta taken like 6 seconds to post And click.
Quicken is ..
Really, that's a quickened post. Two dots.

Duration: Instantaneous
The national security bureau has informed me, to inform you that the correct answer is Permanent.
That's the correct answer for you yourself, too. (yes that's a .gov threat)
 :sh ... shh

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
No ...  :D

Necromancy and/or Psychoportation

Components:
S as in the typing 
V as in you are talking to yourself (uh-oh), really ... have you seen Silent Library ?!
M while "modem" is the specific thing, the value is perhaps 2 Gold Pieces (real world) but arguably just 1; so it could be a target of Eschew.

Casting Time:
rofl  :lmao about half of the posts on this board musta taken like 6 seconds to post And click.
Quicken is ..
Really, that's a quickened post. Two dots.

Duration: Instantaneous
The national security bureau has informed me, to inform you that the correct answer is Permanent.
That's the correct answer for you yourself, too. (yes that's a .gov threat)
 :sh ... shh

T is for Typing
I don't talk to myself.

Yes, but your typical thread necromancer uses Internet Rapid Spell, which makes any spell two time categories shorter. That's how people quicken posts. I kinda prefer Linking Posts to a Supernatural Wall of Text, but that's just me; sadly, the two metapostingstyles are incompatible...

Fine, fine, it's permanent.

A question; what if this was inverted, and you had a ToB class that prepped maneuvers like a Vancian caster?

Obviously, you would have to switch some stuff up...

Oh, almost forgot:
[spoiler]Raise Thread

The closest to that is Jaerom Darkwind's Blade Scholar, found at both 339 and dicefreaks.  It can learn any number of maneuvers from any discipline, so potentially all of them, but can only ready so many at a time.

EDIT : And don't specialize, be a Domain Thread Necromancer.  No banned schools that way ;)

Pfff. Thread Necromancy is one of the only good schools...

I mean, when your choices are:

Browsing
Trolling
Meme-Quoting
Thread Necromancy
Short-Attention Span (colloquially known as Twitter/IM)
And Moderation,

and you have to keep Browsing, and you don't get access to Moderation as a Thread Necromancer... so I picked Trolling and Short Attention Span as my banned schools. It's not like I need them, anyway; I've got some spells from both, recorded in my trusty browser.

Besides the Thread Necromancy Domain sucks. Heavily. I mean, Necro'd to Unnecro'd is completely useless, and they expect us to prepare it as a 9th level spell?  :rollseyes

Still, looks like I'm gonna have to look up the Blade Scholar.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Oh wow, this "spell" can't be counter spelled !!

That's like Epic Spell, or back to Instantaneous.
The bureau would like to inform you that it does not exist.
So ... Meg is an Over-Deity ?!

Then you start doing the Far Realms zero time thing,
to see all the Google Cache and webarchive versions.
Existing for all time.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »
What about wands, Pearls of Power, and other magic items?

Also, once around level 7, my Wizard probably does this already.  He probably preps each spell to cast once, maybe twice.  It ain't like he spams fireball when a single Evard's black tentacles will do for one fight, slow for another, solid fog for another, and glitterdust for another.

The term "Cheese" is like "Loophole" and refers to something that accuser doesn't like.

Giving everyone "maneuvers" akin to ToB feels very 4E.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:16:14 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
Oh wow, this "spell" can't be counter spelled !!

That's like Epic Spell, or back to Instantaneous.
The bureau would like to inform you that it does not exist.
So ... Meg is an Over-Deity ?!

Then you start doing the Far Realms zero time thing,
to see all the Google Cache and webarchive versions.
Existing for all time.

Well, yeah, it can't be specifically counter spelled, but it is absolutely useless against anything with the Moderation school, which has such beauties as Erase Thread, Erase Thread Again, and Die F***ing Thread Die.

So it isn't Epic level material. Plus, any spell that can get practically shut down by GitP is not epic material.

And I sometimes do do the GC and webarchive thing. It gives me a headache.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
As listed, I would say this would be a slight nerf to casters, but only slight.  The true power of casters tends to come from spells that have really long powerful effects, which this won't do much to.  If anything there's a danger that it would get your players to get more creative...

JaronK