Author Topic: 1,067,212 attacks in a single action  (Read 143971 times)

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: 1,067,212 attacks in a single action
« Reply #360 on: December 02, 2010, 02:46:50 AM »
Teleporting, you say? Same thing as returning. But, as EjoThims said, free actions break the thread, so I'll abandon that idea.

Two class level could be probably be saved by only taking BB to 2nd (for melee ranged attacks) and using the Teleporting weapon enhancement on the knives (+1 weapon enhancement, found in the XPH/SRD) that does the same thing as the BB's 4th level class feature.
Technically, the weapons don't have to be thrown. Does Bloodstorm Blade actually grant any extra attacks? The exploding blades are nice for damage purposes, but if you lost some BB levels, you might be able to squeeze in some Blessed of Gruumsh levels. If it's like the Eye of Gruumsh or Battle Howler of Gruumsh, I believe you'll have to be at least part orc, though.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #361 on: December 02, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »
Nevermind on the Teleporting thing, then. It seems I've been misreading it for a while. I could have sworn there was soemthing psionic that did an instant return, though. Maybe it was a power? I seem to recall something in Races of the Wild or Races of Destiny, but I'm AFB right now.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: December 02, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
Technically, the weapons don't have to be thrown. Does Bloodstorm Blade actually grant any extra attacks?

Palm Throw from Master Thrower is a doubling affect to thrown weapons, so they must be thrown to gain it.

But Crescent Knives only gain their doubled attack when used in melee, so BB is needed to make the attacks count as melee attack.

The exploding blades are nice for damage purposes

The explosions are just for flare, but it is tied to a spell that adds two extra base attacks, generating to 711104 attacks total.

you might be able to squeeze in some Blessed of Gruumsh levels

I have been contemplating dropping monk to steal this ability through more IS levels, but I haven't had the time to do the math on which would generate more overall attacks or look at all the repercussions to the build in doing so.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: December 02, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
Nevermind on the Teleporting thing, then. It seems I've been misreading it for a while. I could have sworn there was soemthing psionic that did an instant return, though. Maybe it was a power? I seem to recall something in Races of the Wild or Races of Destiny, but I'm AFB right now.

If you do locate it, please let me know. :D

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #364 on: December 03, 2010, 01:11:32 AM »
Telekinetic Boomerang, Kineticist 3, Psychic Warrior 3. Found on Races of the Wild page 176. Specifically states that you can use the weapon again on the same turn after throwing it. Lasts 1 round/level, swift action to manifest. Only affects one weapon per manifestation, plus another weapon per 2 PP it's augmented with. Have your mind-switching Psion cohort manifest it on the blades before you go off.

Note that it actually works on any object, not just weapons. I don't think that matters for this build, but I figure it's worth mentioning anyways.

This is definitely what I was thinking of whenever I thought of Teleporting vs. Returning, seeing as its in the same book as Returning Weapon (Assassin 2, Sor/Wiz 2) which is almost exactly the same, except that it just gives the regular 1 attack/round Returning ability.

Edit: I just thought of something. Could you have your Psion cohort fuse you (with Fusion) to its Psicrystal? I don't really understand how Fusion would work out, but if you keep your mega-whateverpede form and gain the Psicrystal's Self-Propulsion ability, you can sprout some more legs to use.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:04:35 PM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #365 on: December 05, 2010, 09:20:38 AM »

If you do locate it, please let me know. :D
Telekinetic Boomerang (Complete Psionic, page 103) is a PL 3 Kineticist/Psychic Warrior that does this. Only problem is that it lasts for a round per level, so if you use it you'll want to find some way to increase the duration. Or make it irrelevant.

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #366 on: December 05, 2010, 06:34:53 PM »
The goal is to create something with a lot of attacks in a single action, so I'd imagine that sustainability isn't an issue. If you want to make WBL cry, you could enchant each weapon with a continuous/use-activated Telekinetic Boomerang, assuming that psionic weapons work like magic ones.

« Reply #367 on: December 05, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »
The goal is to create something with a lot of attacks in a single action, so I'd imagine that sustainability isn't an issue. If you want to make WBL cry, you could enchant each weapon with a continuous/use-activated Telekinetic Boomerang, assuming that psionic weapons work like magic ones.
The issue is that with enough distinct weapons to target, by the time you've used Telekinetic Boomerang on them all the duration might have run out for the first few in sequence. Plus, I'd be suspicious of custom continuous or use-activated magic items, even in TO. (No one ever uses the Sword of True Striking!)

Though we could certainly just screw with the action economy. Give the psion cohort a psicrystal, get some UPD ranks, buy some dorjes, and abuse a Synchronicity loop.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #368 on: December 09, 2010, 09:44:17 PM »
Though we could certainly just screw with the action economy. Give the psion cohort a psicrystal, get some UPD ranks, buy some dorjes, and abuse a Synchronicity loop.

This may be the best way to go about it, though why would the cohort need UPD?

« Reply #369 on: December 10, 2010, 02:04:33 AM »

This may be the best way to go about it, though why would the cohort need UPD?
The psicrystal cannot naturally use dorjes; it must employ UPD instead. And as it shares its skill ranks with its owner, we can use those.

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: January 28, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
We've missed something. We've missed something very obvious.

Give every single weapon the Speed enchantment from the DMG. It grants one extra attack with that weapon on a full attack action. Now, I'm not sure what this does to the maths, but I think it bumps it by a fair bit.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »
More to the point, there's a Planar Touchstone you can get that gives you one attack at -5 to your BAB for every attack you would be otherwise making and works any time you could make more than one attack.  This seems relevant.

JaronK

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53:30 PM »
We've missed something. We've missed something very obvious.

Give every single weapon the Speed enchantment from the DMG. It grants one extra attack with that weapon on a full attack action. Now, I'm not sure what this does to the maths, but I think it bumps it by a fair bit.

Wellllll... That's quite contentious... Far more contentious IMO than anything else in this... Also, it explicitly does not stack with haste, and therefor not with Triple Strike, which nets us a total of 128 attacks with each off-hand, far more than the 2 per off-hand that speed weapons would give us.  ;)

More to the point, there's a Planar Touchstone you can get that gives you one attack at -5 to your BAB for every attack you would be otherwise making and works any time you could make more than one attack.  This seems relevant.

JaronK

Ugh... Book please? I have never heard of such a thing, but that would be another doubling in the chain... Giving us almost 4 million attacks.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »
Planar Handbook, p.172 (Oxyrhynchus).
it's the base ability, no less.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
Uuuuh I'm pretty sure it only adds one attack.

That is, it's saying "your normal BAB is +11, so you normally get one attack at BAB, one attack at BAB-5, and one attack at BAB-10.  Using this ability gets you one attack at BAB, two attacks at BAB-5, and one attack at BAB-10.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »

That is, it's saying "your normal BAB is +11, so you normally get one attack at BAB, one attack at BAB-5, and one attack at BAB-10.  Using this ability gets you one attack at BAB, two attacks at BAB-5, and one attack at BAB-10.
ah -- I think you're right.
otherwise ... :nonono

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2011, 10:08:47 PM »
Planar Handbook, p.172 (Oxyrhynchus).
it's the base ability, no less.

Why can I not find my copy of Planar Handbook.  :banghead

That is, it's saying "your normal BAB is +11, so you normally get one attack at BAB, one attack at BAB-5, and one attack at BAB-10.  Using this ability gets you one attack at BAB, two attacks at BAB-5, and one attack at BAB-10.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
You need the touchstone feat, which requires you to expend 500 gp and 10 xp or have 8 ranks of knowledge local and expend 250 gp and 10 xp.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
Where's Triple strike from, and why does Speed not stack with it?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
Where's Triple strike from, and why does Speed not stack with it?

Based on Haste. Though now that I think about it, wording of such may not technically make it RaW not stack... Still doesn't make multiple speed weapons any less contentious though.  :P To the point that we usually don't touch it any more... Since about... 2006.  :lol

And it's buried somewhere in this thread where it's from, lol.