Author Topic: 1,067,212 attacks in a single action  (Read 143973 times)

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
Re: 1,067,212 attacks in a single action
« Reply #340 on: June 26, 2009, 05:44:46 AM »
Not CR 20, but that's a different system.

I don't want to even try calculating this thing's CR.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2009, 10:06:47 AM »
That would be fun, and you know it.  :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #342 on: June 27, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
Just calculate the amount of stacking miss chances and generally high AC you need to reduce it to a humane amount of hits?

Or just Delay Death, Fire Shield(Consecrated maybe?) + the drowning trick?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: September 05, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »
Note: Palm throw is technically one attack roll which two weapons share. Precision damage applies twice, but it's still one attack roll nonetheless. Perhaps this build's attacks should be halved down to 538,106.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
Precision damage applies twice, but it's still one attack roll nonetheless. Perhaps this build's attacks should be halved down to 538,106.

If precision damage applies twice, is it not then by default two separate attacks and not a volley?

As well, losing that doubling would far more than cut our attacks in half.

We'd only be making 60 base attacks, meaning 60 offhand attacks, which would be doubled one less time.

We'd go down to ~260k attacks.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: October 02, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
Well the text states "may throw two of each weapon with a single attack roll. Damage is resolved separately but the master thrower does not apply her strength bonus to either roll." Technically, precision damage might only apply once, as it's similar to manyshot in that regard.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: October 08, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »
According the Rule Compendium, "A form of attack that enables an attacker to make multiple attacks during an action other than a full-round action, such as the Manyshot feat..."

Firstly, Palm Throw would fit in this category and thusly not gain precision damage on each weapon.

However, this strongly implies that, even though it is a volley, it is still composed of making multiple attacks, which would still trigger our epic TWF doubling sheninigans.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #347 on: October 13, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
I'm sure that 8 levels is too many, but Blessed of Gruumsh (if nobody's brought it up yet) lets an Orc double his attacks in a round. If you Leadership yourself a cohort and use Fusion? I'm sure one or both of those things is out of bounds for this due to being excessively cheesy, but I thought I'd mention it.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #349 on: October 14, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
Google tells me Dragon 282...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #350 on: October 14, 2009, 08:59:48 PM »
Or Dragon Compendium.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: October 14, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
After all these years, I still sometimes forget that the internet has the answer to everything...  :embarrassed

And yes, yes. Another doubling.

I will do the math soon to see how (and if) it can be worked in. Most likely by taking 3 more illithid savant levels, but where to pick them up?

Most likely from shou disciple, but that would cost us a flurry (and get us down to a full attack action, instead of a full round action) but also free up ~ 3 more levels as well.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #352 on: October 14, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
Can we have one of our cohorts have a cohort? You only need to be a 13th level character for the ability, so judicious use of Fusion can bring it into the mix.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: October 14, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
We already use stacked cohorts, and I'm trying to avoid Fusion, as "I fuse with everything and win" has already been done. ;)

konner09

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: August 14, 2010, 07:30:16 AM »
jeesus christ thats alot of attacks
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - edgar allen poe

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #355 on: August 23, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
Integrating Lightning Maces + Aptitude weapons seems appropriate for expanding the number of attacks, though you'd need to find another feat somewhere. Probably with a special location that grants a feat and DCFS. Strictly speaking, you wouldn't have a fixed number of attacks, but you'd still almost surely have a finite value of them. (Your chances of getting one more attack are slightly less than 10% per attack.)

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »
Strictly speaking, you wouldn't have a fixed number of attacks

And it would thusly not be within the realms of what is being optimized for here... The chaos monk's flurry is only included because of the very small variance in the attacks it grants, and the reliable nature of that variance (the build is always going to get 1 to 4 extra attacks from it). I'm actually currently trying to find time to incorporate that last doubling that was found, with the Blessed of Gruumsh, which will likely knock off Chaos Monk to be able to qualify, giving it a true set number of attacks with no variables. :D

Lightning Maces + aptitude gives an average number of extra attacks, especially as the number of attacks increases, but it has the potential to give anywhere between 0 and 1,067,212 (even if none of the extras gives extras), making it far too unreliable to give an actual peak but non-infinite number with any confidence.

Besides... There are far less complex builds that allow that combination to almost always go infinite.

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2010, 03:29:59 AM »
So I heard it was cool to bump this topic. I've been looking for ways to help this get back within reasonable Wealth Per Level, even though it's really easy to break it. It's just not as impressive to optimize with a budget of millions of gold.

1) Instead of getting so many Gloves of Man, just get an Opposable weapon.

2) By abusing quick-draw, 'draw' the weapon from one hand/tentacle/snakehead as a free action.

3) If there's a method of unequipping and equipping boots as a free action, do so with the Leg of Squid.

4) Don't throw the weapons; they can only be thrown once per round to be caught on the next, and I really doubt that a million crescent knives fits the 760,000gp wealth cap I'm seeing if I can get this build down to.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #358 on: December 01, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »
For #4, Bloodstorm Blade 4 already takes care of that. It lets you throw a weapon and have it return in time to make iterative attacks with it (unlike Returning). Two class level could be probably be saved by only taking BB to 2nd (for melee ranged attacks) and using the Teleporting weapon enhancement on the knives (+1 weapon enhancement, found in the XPH/SRD) that does the same thing as the BB's 4th level class feature.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »
For #4, Bloodstorm Blade 4 already takes care of that. It lets you throw a weapon and have it return in time to make iterative attacks with it (unlike Returning). Two class level could be probably be saved by only taking BB to 2nd (for melee ranged attacks) and using the Teleporting weapon enhancement on the knives (+1 weapon enhancement, found in the XPH/SRD) that does the same thing as the BB's 4th level class feature.

Hrmm... I had overlooked that enchant... It has been added to my "list of things to review to make this better when I have the time I need to do so."  :lol

And I do appreciate the help in trying to stay under WBL, but it's just so easy to break regardless, that any hoop jumping to do so, imo, actually makes the build less sound. Especially when it relies on taking free actions to do so, which this build so far does not do, it's strength is in the fact that it makes the attacks it does with one single action:D