Author Topic: Wanderer's Diplomacy  (Read 6958 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Wanderer's Diplomacy
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »
So, I was fiddling around with a Bard build recently, and the Bard's Handbook pointed me toward this feat: Wanderer's Diplomacy from PHBII. It's a multipart feat, here's the relevant segment:

Social Agility

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Wanderer's Diplomacy
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
Tleilaxu_Ghola made a thread about this sometime ago. It's a nice idea indeed and it actually might be usable under most DMs.

Handy Links

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »
Less of a thread history over here. I'll have to go Over There and search around, thanks for the tip. I just figured: new forum, I might as well start the CharOpt discourse sooner or later, and get down to business.

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:28:50 PM »
Sure, let's get going.

This is the only diplomacy "trick" that I actually would allow in any of my games, as it doesn't break the game.

As T_G said: "The person cannot be hostile towards you -- it won't work. So once you can make a DC 50 bluff check (not too hard with glibness) you've maxed out this feat's potential (that's the check go from Unfriendly to Helpful). This is not something you can in combat."

Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
Well, a standard Diplomacy check to go from Hostile to Unfriendly is only DC 20, or DC 30 as a full round action.

A level 7 bard should have about a 50% chance to hit a DC 30 Diplomacy check without any real investment beyond taking some ranks and having a good Charisma (figure 10 ranks +4 synergy +5 Charisma = +19).

So, this is remains a clever but not broken trick - out of combat you can periodically Wanderer's Diplomacy your way through any tough encounter.  In combat, you can spend two actions to convert someone from Hostile to Helpful, three if you didn't pre-cast Glibness.