• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
D&D 4E
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »
It's coming, like it or not.  The Gameologists are trying to keep updated on news about the game and even though are pessimistic and cynical, are probably more excited than the average bear about it.  Talk about it here!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: D&D 4E
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:40:48 PM »
Quote from: Zeke
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

gefahrmaus

• Monkey bussiness
  • My ranger attacks with his sword of brutality.
    • Another Caffeinated Day
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »
I find it interesting that WotC is acting like 4E is a software project. "Development Kits" for 5 large ($5,000.00)!? http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=215976

Could have some blowback, but it is does provide some market protection for publishers, small and large, to release with 4E. It's the smallest publisher that doesn't have access to 5,000.00 dollars that might be offended, or the garage writer/gamer/DM that gets slighted.

But, hey, I'm a capitalist, so if the smallest publisher wants out of the unwashed masses and enter the big money world of D&D supplement and module writing, with all of the rights and fame thereto, maybe $5,000.00 is a fee worth "ponying up." It puts you in a group of people that is serious about the game and, at least, on the radar of WotC... maybe even a person worthy of soliciting opinion. If I was playing D&D, and not Warhammer, invested in its success, etc., I might do it.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:57:02 PM »
I like the fact that WotC treats its products like they are a business. 

The problem that the d20 movement had when it opened up was the plethora of really bad stuff that came out and drowned out the good stuff. 

This is an attempt by WotC to help only the highest quality producers make supplements.

We will see how well the concept works. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Peaboo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »
Yeah, not to mention how many people ran out and bought all those third party supplements? Personally I only have four non-WotC books, but only because the topics interested me.

So when folks complain they have hundreds of books, it's not completely WotC's fault so many were put out. Nor is it their fault people bought so many of them.

As for the money for the right to publish for 4e release, that's a good thing. People are less likely to violate an NDA if serious cash has been paid out. (Even the NDA should be enough but, what can you do once the cat is out of the bag?)

WotC is in the business to make money for WotC, not for any other company. The d20 movement was good in getting people into the industry because let's face it- who's going to buy some unknown RPG from some unknown company?

At the same time, anyone with a computer suddenly thinks they're a publisher...

;D

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
Yeah, not to mention how many people ran out and bought all those third party supplements? Personally I only have four non-WotC books, but only because the topics interested me.

So when folks complain they have hundreds of books, it's not completely WotC's fault so many were put out. Nor is it their fault people bought so many of them.

People are not mad that they bought the books, they are mad that they are obsolete.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Tazendra

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »
I've probably spent at least $1k on 3.5. I haven't figured it out because I really want to know. But I'm a source book junkie. I love reading game books, even for ones I suspect I'll never play. The way I look at it is that thought I've spent a lot of money, its not much if I think of how many hours of fun I've had gaming.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »
I'm in the happy place of having spent less than $200 on 3.5 books, materials, mini's, and etc.  So I'm making up for it.  I've already doubled my 3.5 investment in 4.0 materials ^.^

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
I've probably spent at least $1k on 3.5. I haven't figured it out because I really want to know. But I'm a source book junkie. I love reading game books, even for ones I suspect I'll never play. The way I look at it is that thought I've spent a lot of money, its not much if I think of how many hours of fun I've had gaming.
Same here. I have never actually played a face-to-face game, and the PbP game i'm DMing is still at level 1, but due to obsessive reading, I know the rules better than some experienced DMs. ;D I'll probably get them...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:00:21 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tazendra

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »
I play in one face to face game, but that's it, and I really don't have time for that. PBPs are my only outlet for anything other than 3.5E D&D.