Author Topic: 15th Level Master of Many Forms  (Read 9759 times)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
15th Level Master of Many Forms
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »
Hello all. So, there's a 15th level PbP brewing about in which I'm intending to play.

Basically all books and sources available, just have to run it by the DM first.
The party looks like this:
Male Magic-blooded Kalashtar Wizard 1/Ardent 2/Cerebremancer 4/Incantatrix 7/Thrallherd 1
Female L-E Pixie  Marshal 1/ Dragonfire Adept 10
A Jurassicleric of some sort.
Some form of Evil Rainbow Servant build.
A Runescarred Berserker of some sort.
And me.

Human Wild Shape Ranger 5/Master of Many Forms 10
Going for 5 levels of Nature's Warrior next.

32 pts buy, thinking of the following Statline:
Strength:10
Dexterity:12
Constitution:18
Intelligence:12
Wisdom:12
Charisma:10

Probably going to put ability raises in Con.
I might as well make her middle age, since MoMF 10 removes aging penalties.

Feats:
1 Alertness, Track, Lucky Start, Improved Initiative
3 Endurance, Steadfast Determinaton
6 Tempting Fate
9 Survivor's Luck
12 Oaken Resilience
15 Frozen Wild Shape

Flaw: Inattentive.
Trait: Plucky.

Items so far:
Shadow Cloak from DotU, deflection raised to +2, Wild Clasp'ed.
Robe of the Vagabond, CC, Natural Armor enhancement bonus +2, +4 Con, +5 resistance to saves, Wild Clasp'ed.
Bracers of Blinding Strike, MiC, +5 armor bonus, Wild Clasp'ed.

Cash left:
91 500.

I was thinking of using a War Troll as my go-to combat form, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should stick to the 12-headed cryohydra.
The upside to the Hydra is that I don't need any weapon, but then I'm not using the full potential of the Bracers. Sure, they're there mostly for the +2 bonus to Initiative, but still. If I do go with the War Troll, I want a good weapon to use it with, I'm thinking a +1 Warning Sizing Falchion. I just don't know which to go with. Maybe there's another form out there that's better.

Oh and yes, I have read the bible more than once.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_shape_rules

So, I need help with item suggestions and any other ideas you might have, feats, good wildshapes, ability distribution etc. Suggest away.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Re: 15th Level Master of Many Forms
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »
Cave troll for options? Pounce is always nice, and you can do some pretty sick damage with Improved Grab/Rake/Rend.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
If you boost your wisdom you can think about Assume Supernatural Ability...

Also, warshaper??
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
Assume Supernatural Ability...
Right. That's a very good option.
I might. It might be too much for my own taste, but on the other hand, there's Thrallherds and Incantatrixes running about  ;)
I'll think about it.

Warshaper isn't that good actually.
The STR/CON bonus disappear as soon as I wild shape, so apart from the bonus hit points, it makes little difference.
The immunity to critical hits are somewhat already covered with Oaken Resilience.
The Fast healing is covered by a lot of things.
But the biggest reason why I don't want to go Warshaper is that it doesn't advance Wild Shape.
So I'd be stuck using 15HD monsters or lower. It's like loosing caster levels for a MoMF, it's painful.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
The Str/Con bonuses are only WHEN you wildshape.  The class features only apply when you're in a form other than your natural one.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 12:57:06 AM »
If you're going Cave Troll, you might want to rethink the feats.  13 Str might seem like a waste, but Power Attack and Leap Attack can be downright devastating when combined with a pouncing, raking, rending damage machine like the Cave Troll.

War Troll is outstanding both offensively and defensively.  The Cryohydra does massive damage, but the defenses aren't so nice.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:08:19 AM »
Planar Shepherd2 (IIRC) would get you magical beast forms including celestial/fiendish templated animals.  This could be nice on the legendary ape etc...

I dont recall if you could get planar bubble before PS5.  If animal familiarity is an issue PS can help with that argument.  I always liked a WS clasp'd monks belt on my MoMF too
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick