Author Topic: Spirit Shaman  (Read 5562 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Spirit Shaman
« on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:55 PM »
Discovery of a number of awesome Druid spells has led me to decide to put together a Spirit Shaman.  The preliminary build is as follows:

Race: Human
Flaw: Murky-Eyed
Trait: ??? (open to suggestions)
Stats, before Racial mods: Strength 15, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 20

Starting at 7: Spirit Shaman 6/Divine Oracle 1 -> Spirit Shaman 11/Divine Oracle 1/Runecaster 8
Feats Now: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Greenbound Summoning, Spontaneous Summoner, Knowledge Devotion @ 3, Inscribe Rune @ 6
Later: Metamagic School Focus (Conjuration)?, Cloudy Conjuration?, Imbued Summoning?, Sculpt Spell?, Rashemi Elemental Summoning and Quicken Spell at later level(s), but not at start.  If there's anything that I'm missing that's truly awesome, let me know.

Starting Wealth:
Frog God's Fane
Belt of Hidden Pouches
Lesser Energy Substitution [Cold] Rod
+1 Buckler
Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection
+1 Chain Shirt
4800 gp left
I'm not completely clueless here, but given that I haven't geared a "nature" caster before, I could use some help.  Note that one-shot items cost half price at creation for this game, and I intend to carry around some small rolls of paper with calligraphy-enabled runes on them (think rolled-up ofudas) which I'll be able to take out and without accidentally triggering them and pass them around as needed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:28:13 PM by X-Codes »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Spirit Shaman
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 06:25:35 PM »
Do you have access to dynamic priest (Legend of the Twins)? 

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »
Do you have access to dynamic priest (Legend of the Twins)? 
No.  After seeing that bonus spells are based on Wisdom and not Charisma, I'm reconsidering whether or not to put my points into Charisma or Wisdom...

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
Some suggestions maybe.

Instead of Human, you could go Illumian to have single attribute casting?

Greenbound summoning is ridiculously truly awesome, is that an option?  Obviously I see Rashemi Elemental summoning so you would kinda have to choose between the two.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
Some suggestions maybe.

Instead of Human, you could go Illumian to have single attribute casting?

Greenbound summoning is ridiculously truly awesome, is that an option?  Obviously I see Rashemi Elemental summoning so you would kinda have to choose between the two.
Illumian would only spread out my casting more.  I'd have bonus spells based on Str or Dex, the minimum required Wisdom, *and* DCs still tied to Charisma.

Also, Greenbound Summoning IS awesome at lower levels, but at this point I'm not sure it's a net bonus.  I'm starting to get some of my animal-specific targeted buffs, but Greenbound Summoning turns all of my animals into Plants with, IIRC, no option to turn it off.  On the other hand, I could forego my Animal buffs, and just summon Plants and Elementals.  I don't think Elementals are legal targets for the Greenbound template, so I get my Rashemi elementals and my Greenbound monsters...

EDIT: On second thought, I'll use Greenbound Summoning and not go for the melee scene at all.  I'll pack a Produce Flame for attacks, instead, and I'll also pack a rod...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:23:32 PM by X-Codes »

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »
Yeah damn you're right on Illumians, it's Str/Dex only so you'd be no better off, my bad.

Greenbound is super overpowered at low levels, but it's still pretty darn good at mid level.  I was just suggesting that if you are summoning, why waste a feat on improving elementals if you're only going to summon animals (or vice versa).  Ashbound Summoning is pretty good as well to stack with Greenbound and Augment.  Do you qualify as spontaneously casting SNA or not?  I honestly have not ever seen a Spirit Shaman in play.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »
Well, I'm a spontaneous spellcaster, so I should qualify.  Also, Rashemi Elemental Summoning works with Summon Elementite Swarm, Summon Greater Elemental, and Summon Elemental Monolith, which I intend to have at the ready in preference to Summon Nature's Ally at their levels.  Summon Nature's Ally will play a secondary role to those spells at those levels.

EDIT: I'm also thinking about moving up the first 3 levels of Runecaster.  What's better, free Concentration at 12 and trap Runes at 15 or Trap runes at 9 and free concentration at 15?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:30:23 PM by X-Codes »

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »
What spells do you plan on casting that require concentration?  If you have a lot at 12th take Runecaster earlier, otherwise delay until 15th IMO.  Trap Runes can obviously be used as soon as you pick it up so I'm thinking the 9-15 route is probably better unless you have lots of concentration spells earlier on.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
The notable ones are Summon Elementite Swarm as a 4th-level spell, and Summon Greater Elemental as a 6th-level spell, both of which are bolstered by Rashemi Elemental Summoning.  Binding Winds, a 2nd-level spell, has potential as a useful spell.

EDIT: Given my strong Summon Nature's Ally spells up to this point, I think I'll hold off on using Summon Greater Elemental.  Summon Elementite Swarm, however, is a nice upgrade to Summon Swarm and will be used pretty much regardless of whether or not I can concentrate on it. :p

The build will be...

Race: Human (Rashemi)
Flaw: Murky-Eyed
Trait: Uncivilized
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 20

Levels: Spirit Shaman 5/Divine Oracle 1/Runecaster 1
Feats: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Greenbound Summoning, Spontaneous Summoner, Knowledge Devotion, Inscribe Rune

Items: Frog God's Fane Benefit, Belt of Hidden Pouches, +1 Buckler, +1 Chain Shirt, Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection, Periapt of Wisdom +2, Wand of Lesser Vigor, Anklet of Translocation, Masterwork Calligraphy Kit, 885 gp of runes

As for what runes I will have use of, that I need help with.  Obviously, I have full access to all Druid spells and the Oracle domain, so I can justify having runes from those spell lists.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:13:44 AM by X-Codes »

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 02:07:30 AM »
Have you considered going Moonspeaker? It's from Races of Eberron and you need to be a Shifter, but it's very awesome for any divine summoner. You could dip Sacred Exorcist for DMM Twin Spell too.