Author Topic: good spells to combine with dragonfire inspiration  (Read 2941 times)

Unbeliever

• King Kong
good spells to combine with dragonfire inspiration
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
I might be playing a gestalt gish type of character this upcoming weekend.  We're going to be using some homebrew prestige class with mechanics akin to PF's Magus (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcasters/magus.html) -- so that I will be able to attack and cast in the same round.  A Swiftblade (which is what I was originally thinking of playing, could do the same sort of thing, and I might still play one depending on the level). 

The basic idea will be a gish with Bard, Paladin or Warblade on one side // Sorcerer, Swiftblade or Magus hack on the other.  I plan on making heavy use of Dragonfire Inspiration.  Most of my spells will be for battlefield control, some crowd sweeping, defense, and debuffing. 

I was wondering, though, what are good spells that synergize with Dragonfire Inspiration?  Obviously, it's stuff with attack rolls, so maybe Howling Chain, Scorching Ray, and Evard's Black Tentacles (?, does it gain the benefit with the grapple checks?).  Any ideas?

P.S.:  I haven't built the character yet, but I expect it to be pretty straightforward:  feats to support dragonfire and inspire courage, to get around spell resistance, and to support twf sword and shield fighting (I know it's suboptimal, but it's what I want to do with this character).  Any other key things that I might want? 

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: good spells to combine with dragonfire inspiration
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »
Thunder Lance?

Haste, obviously, more attacks is better when you're adding the same damage for the same cost to every attack.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »
Since this is my answer to everything - summons work great for that type of thing.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »
Start singing, throw down BFC, and spam Mass Snake's Swiftness.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Mass Snake's Swiftness could be really hilarious with a bunch of siege engineer teams?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 06:44:52 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Mass Snake's Swiftness could be really hilarious with a bunch of siege engineer teams?
It certainly would, though god knows how the rules interact.  Such things are above my pay grade.

Yeah, I had thought of the ones to give me more attacks.  I was kind of thinking about spells that themselves involve attack rolls, rather than saves I guess, b/c they'd take advantage of the Dragonfire.  Hence maybe Evard's is better than Web (though my caster level won't be crazy, so meh), but you get the idea.

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
Sorry to mention this but...

Dragonfire Inspiration: "Instead, he deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage with his weapons..."

I doubt you can apply the bonus damage to spells, unless the spells let you actually let you do weapon damages (Say, Mass-Snakes-Swiftness).

So...I can't think of many other spells you can use with this except Haste, and Snake's Swiftness.

-K

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
Breath Weapon Admixture + Draught of Breath Admixture + Fivefold Breath  :evillaugh

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Polymorph stuffs work, too.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »
What about spells that make weapons. or, by extension, make creatures who wield weapons?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Mooncrow

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
What about spells that make weapons. or, by extension, make creatures who wield weapons?

Summons are always the right answer.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 07:05:28 PM »
Don't have my Complete Arcane with me, would weaponlike spells - the sort you can take Weapon Focus with - not count as weapons?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:10:58 PM »
There's a sort of "Super Haste" in Lost Empires of Faerun - Sakkratar's Triple Strike. It's Sor/Wiz 5, and it gives the target(s) 2 extra attacks. Of course, it only lasts for one round, but if you were to Quicken, Repeat, or Persist it...

It also makes all attacks Keen and Flaming Burst, but that's just minor details, really. Only works on Melee Weapons, though.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »
Sorry to mention this but...

Dragonfire Inspiration: "Instead, he deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage with his weapons..."

I doubt you can apply the bonus damage to spells, unless the spells let you actually let you do weapon damages (Say, Mass-Snakes-Swiftness).

So...I can't think of many other spells you can use with this except Haste, and Snake's Swiftness.

-K
My general read is that Dragonfire Inspiration applies to everything that Inspire Courage does.  Which is, to wit, anything that involves an attack roll.  I think Complete Arcane spelled this out a lot more with its discussion of Weaponlike Spells.  So, if you create a Flaming Scimitar or a Thunderlance, you get your Dragonfire (or ally's, etc.).  Likewise, I think it would obviously apply to things like Howling Chain, which is functionally the same as having some friend of yours wack them. 

EDIT:  swordsage'd by Kajhera

That'd be ideal.  I just don't have a running list of them in my head.  And, further, it'd be great if they were ones that did more than just damage since I'll probably be good on that.  Summons are always good, but I'm trying to get away from that with this character.  Also, it's going to be a pretty high-powered gestalt game, so I don't know if a summoned creature would really connect all that often anyway. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:16:01 PM by Unbeliever »

Mooncrow

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »
Hmm, so something like Spiritual GuardianCC then?  (sorry, I know divine spells a lot better than I do arcane^^)