Author Topic: Trying to make a FF-Dragoon  (Read 2998 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Trying to make a FF-Dragoon
« on: August 02, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
For our upcoming game, I'm trying to make a a character that plays like a Final Fantasy Dragoon: High jumps, some magic, polearms, etc.
What would be the best way to go about this?

Currently, I'm thinking of going the Gish route, also because we need some arcane magic.

All books are allowed, all races allowed, but the lower the LA, the better, no flaws. I don't know the stats yet, but probably along the lines of 32 pb or better.

Thanks in advance!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: Trying to make a FF-Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
This might give you a push in the right direction.
I don't know myself, since I haven't read the whole topic.
But it's some food for thought.

http://boards1.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-367957
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »
Thanks, but I knew that thread already. Atleast, the thread that followed on that, with Tempest's Dragoon build.

Let's narrow it down what my party needs. Arcane Spellcasting. So, a Gish that also funtions as a Dragoon.

These are the stats: they're ridiculously high: 16, 18, 15 ,12, 18 ,16. (No particular order.)

I was thinking about Warblade1/Wizard6/EldritchKnight1/Dragonslayer1/Spellsword1/AbjurantChampion5/EldritchKnight2-6.

I need Dodge, Combat Casting and Iron Will as preqs. Leap Attack, BattleJump, Shocktrooper (Improved Bullrush), Power Attack are in too.

I haven't decided on race, though.

Terronus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:44:07 PM »
Well, if you really want something different than Tempest's guide, perhaps A thri-kreen monk/psychic warrior with a few levels of elocator?  This would be much more psionic, obviously, but even without it the +30 racial bonus to jump, 40 base speed from thri-kreen as well as access to speed of thought and scale the walls without psionic levels would allow for probably one of the best dragoons, but you definitely want to have some way to spring attack or skirmish, however.

...Tempest Stormwind probably did it best.
People that fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes. -Abigail Van Buren

He that never changes his opinions, and never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. -Tryon Edwards

None but ourselves can free our minds. -Bob Marley

Funny D&D vids.  Picking up where Dead Alewives left off.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »
Actually, I was more intrested in a Dragoon with some magical flavour...

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:50:21 PM »
Skill focus: jump?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »
You could try looking into Incarnum as well...

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »
Wizard 5 / Warblade 1 / Emerald Jade Phoenix 10 / Warblade +4

You can use a combination Martial Study(shadow blink) & Feral Death Blow to jump around killing stuff on top of charging. Dragoons are not primary spellcasters and like to run around in armor charging/jumping at people with polearms instead of standing behind everyone in forcefields casting shapechange so 9th maneuvers over 9th level spells in this case. 8th level arcane spells should cover the arcane side of the party.

Hmm feats...
1: Combat Expertise
3: Improved Trip
6: Knock Down
9: Power Attack
12: Improved Bullrush
15: Shocktrooper
18: Leap Attack
Add Sweeping (printed in a few books, can't think of which ones though) and Valorous(UE) to your weapon for +4 on trips & double damage during a charge.

Here is a scenario for you.
Shadow Blink to a foe, Feral Death Blow them.
Effect: *poof* spear to the head, save or almost-die and face triping.
Or
Heedless Leaping Power Raging Mongoose Pounce them, gain a free trip with a +8 attached to it which if you win grants another attack. Consider either Death Blow'ing them or use Shadow Blink and charge again on your next turn. Yell "I will beat you to the ground" for flavor.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:59:40 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:15:42 AM »
That last build isn't so bad, especially if we reflavour some of the JPM over to something Dragon-themed.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
That last build isn't so bad, especially if we reflavour some of the JPM over to something Dragon-themed.
Errata for my own post.

The warblade's bonus feat list does not include Marital Study so you'll have to retrain out the bonus feat for Martial Study(shadow blink).

Also I typo'ed. 7th level spells not 8th.
8th level would cover the arcane role since 9th is just plain overkill. 7th should cover it I think as far as battle control and utility spells go.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
Skill focus: jump?
Pffft. There are feats that grant +10 bonuses to Jump.

Try Mighty Leaping (Savage Species) - it comes with free slow fall.

Mental Leap (XPH) is another, but it only works while psionically focused. Take Hidden Talent [catfall, burst or skate] as your 1st-level feat if you're going this route (that is, if you aren't going for a psionic gish).

I'm pretty sure there are others.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:51:21 AM »
At the moment, it appears it's going to be a Wizard6/Swiftblade2/AbjChamp5/Swiftblade3-9. Thanks for all the other suggestions, though.
Race isn't decided yet, but either a (Pathfinder) Elf or Human, or a Tiefling. Eitherway, race grants me proficiency with (some) martial weapons.
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Combat Casting, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Battlejump, Leap of the Heavens. (That Jump related feat in PHBII).

Terronus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 04:29:09 AM »
I would still highly recommend 1-2 levels of Blade Dancer, especially since you meet almost every requirement simply by synergy with swiftblade.  Acrobatics will help... keep in mind the DC for battlejump will be DC 40 for a medium creature and DC 60 for large... and I'm unsure if your speed above base provides a static bonus to jumps, or only if you move.
People that fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes. -Abigail Van Buren

He that never changes his opinions, and never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. -Tryon Edwards

None but ourselves can free our minds. -Bob Marley

Funny D&D vids.  Picking up where Dead Alewives left off.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:42:13 AM »
Yes, speed always has an influence on your Jumping, wether you move or not. Too bad Bladedance doesn't give arcane casting progression, otherwise I'd go all the way. Thanks for the idea.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »
Leap of the Heavens (PHB2 ?) is strictly better than SF: Jump.

Rather than
EldritchKnight1/Dragonslayer1/Spellsword1/AbjurantChampion5/EldritchKnight2-6
I would go JPM 7/AbjCh 5 - you lose one more caster level, but you get nice class features.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
Expeditious Dodge from RotW is much better than Dodge. You'll be boosting your speed, so 40ft should be no problem to get the +2 AC.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »
Right, I forgot that, thanks.