Author Topic: Initiate of the sevenfold veil and antimagic field  (Read 11432 times)

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Initiate of the sevenfold veil and antimagic field
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 06:04:37 AM »
I would only have the indigo and violet layers, the ones that actually can block spells (and more, in the latter's case) be able to block AMF.  But they would also block line of effect for the IotSV's spells, so it'd be just a defensive thing, not an autowin button.

I have no idea how it actually works RAW, seems pretty hazy.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 07:08:23 AM »
Didn't the Rules Compendium do something silly and have it where an AMF no longer blocks line of effect so long as you and the target are outside of it? At least that's what I heard, but I never bothered to pay the errata tax to buy the book.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
Didn't the Rules Compendium do something silly and have it where an AMF no longer blocks line of effect so long as you and the target are outside of it? At least that's what I heard, but I never bothered to pay the errata tax to buy the book.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »

Indigo Veils block "effects" though, whether that is lines of effect or whatever is kindda hard to say though.

I have no idea how it actually works RAW, seems pretty hazy.
RAW is stupid here, Wardings are a and Sp effect and AMFs stop that. But AMFs are effects and wardings can stop that.
So the question is which is the most specific of the rules. I know what I'd rule, but there is no hard evidence for either.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 10:14:30 AM »
Thanks. Though now that I reread I see the issue is the veils working both ways for effects as the only specific exceptions are for creatures leaving/forced to enter. And dismissing a veil is a standard action, so regular casting would be severely gimped under indigo veil.

So what would be good options with Indigo Veil? I know Reserve Feats are (Su) and can pass. Teleportation doesn't require LoE, so I guess stuff like Lightning Leap or whatever its called is in.

Conjuration (creation) spells are best, especially Shalandra's Delicate Disk, which would be your bread and butter to getting around the veil.

And one popped up while I was typing and checking books..
RAW is stupid here, Wardings are a and Sp effect and AMFs stop that. But AMFs are effects and wardings can stop that.
So the question is which is the most specific of the rules. I know what I'd rule, but there is no hard evidence for either.

As a good rule of thumb for situations like this, check spell level. AMF is a 6th level spell. Indigo Veil is the equivalent of 7th level spell. So I would lean towards Indigo winning.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Cruiser1

• Noob
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »
As a good rule of thumb for situations like this, check spell level. AMF is a 6th level spell. Indigo Veil is the equivalent of 7th level spell. So I would lean towards Indigo winning.
This ruling would be an interesting compromise. A knowledgeable opponent up against an Initiate would apply Heighten Spell to their casting of Antimagic Field, in order to penetrate the veil. However the Initiate could counter by taking Heighten Spell-like Ability to up their spell level.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
O.M.G.

This is exactly what I spoke of. Idiots of the Iot7fv are willing to create a new account just to argue "seeing though" trumps "blocks all spells". I mean wtf, glass was invented centuries ago. Did he wake up in the morning, put on his helmet, get on the short bus, and plaster his face against the window drooling on it and wondering how in the hell he couldn't lick the passing cars that he watched them pass him?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 06:26:11 PM »
The "seeing through" argument is dumb.

More interesting to me is the wall version of the veil, where you can make passing through it from one side "safe" from the veil's effects.  Since the veil's not affecting anything coming through it from say...the east, I could definitely see it not stopping effects just as it doesn't stop creatures.

For my upcoming IotSV's case, though, I just plan to (ab)use the fact that the Initiate himself is safe passing through the wall no matter what and make both sides of the wall dangerous to play fun games of "tag" with Flyby Attack, so such questions won't have to concern me or the DM. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:28:32 PM by StreamOfTheSky »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »
The "seeing through" argument is dumb.

More interesting to me is the wall version of the veil, where you can make passing through it from one side "safe" from the veil's effects.  Since the veil's not affecting anything coming through it from say...the east, I could definitely see it not stopping effects just as it doesn't stop creatures.

For my upcoming IotSV's case, though, I just plan to (ab)use the fact that the Initiate himself is safe passing through the wall no matter what and make both sides of the wall dangerous to play fun games of "tag" with Flyby Attack, so such questions won't have to concern me or the DM. :)
You can knock people though the wall like a Dungeoncrasher loves the ground. Think like 4th edition where a party of level 1s dribbling people though Cloud of Knives and such.

In fact, it would probably be pretty impressive for a Dungeoncrasher Fighter to dip something like Bard/Sublime Chord and cut into Iot7FV. With 9th level spells & Metamagic Song for Persistance, it's a huge combat potential meets Indigo's nearly ultimate spell defense.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »
Soro, I can see why you get your jollies from this stuff. That above snark was so siggable  :lol
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r