Author Topic: What pricing formula does the Magic Item Compendium use?  (Read 5483 times)

Libertad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
What pricing formula does the Magic Item Compendium use?
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
I heard that the Magic Item Compendium used its own pricing formula due to the high-priced and impractical values of standard DMG magic items.

What formulas does the book use, if any, and would it be a good fit for redesigning price guidelines for magic items in general?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: What pricing formula does the Magic Item Compendium use?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »
The DMG rules for combining multiple effects into a single item say to add the costs together and multiply by 1.5

MIC modifies this so that straight bonuses (like the ones on a belt of giant's strength or ring of natural armor) don't count as additional effects, and you just add their cost normally. The stated reason was because you need these kinds of bonuses to keep up, but they shouldn't deprive you from more interesting effects.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
The DMG rules for combining multiple effects into a single item say to add the costs together and multiply by 1.5

MIC modifies this so that straight bonuses (like the ones on a belt of giant's strength or ring of natural armor) don't count as additional effects, and you just add their cost normally. The stated reason was because you need these kinds of bonuses to keep up, but they shouldn't deprive you from more interesting effects.

It also uses a different formula for premade magic item. The Healing Belt, for example, is considerably cheaper than it would be if it were priced by the DMG guidelines.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:20:43 AM »
The MIC generally said, "Ignore what we said about formulas!  Just eyeball it!" for nonstandard effects like stat/skill/save/AC boosters.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Libertad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
It also uses a different formula for premade magic item. The Healing Belt, for example, is considerably cheaper than it would be if it were priced by the DMG guidelines.

What's the formula for premade ones?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:46:40 PM »

"As expensive as we can get away with."
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:48:38 PM »

Haven't the faintest. I've never been good at reverse-engineering those prices.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »
There isn't really a formula per se.  They looked at the items people were actually using from the other books, and scaled the prices to be more in line. So, Healing Belt costs the same as Wand of CLW, the most used item of healing.  Things like that.