Author Topic: Thinking about some E6 fun...Toss around ideas with me!  (Read 23362 times)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Thinking about some E6 fun...Toss around ideas with me!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
As you've probably seen from my other threads I have tons of ideas for this.

Warlock - amazing casters in e6 with the capstone feats. They can eventually get almost all least and lesser invocations. With the Fey Heritage feats you can get DR / Cold Iron early and pretty high if you spend feats on it. One build started with DR 3 at level 1, with a single flaw, and upped it to DR 5 at 3rd.

Ranger 1, Barbarian 1, other 4 preferably to increase speed or jump - wildshape to shapeshift variant to become a wolf or eagle at higher levels, put on a high dex kobold with the dragon wings feat and you could have a free action shape changer with an insane jump check due to speed that can glide pretty much from level 1. Not quite flight but with the right addon gear might as well be. See the new batman arkham city game for movement ideas with a rod of ropes added. :) Not terribly effective but fun.

Artificer - for crafting goodness

Rogue 1/ Sneak Attack Hit and Run Fighter 1/ Swashbuckler 4 - for a super skilled suave seducer with the web enhancements for Swashbuckler, add in Daring outlaw for full sneak attack also.

anything 5 / Chameleon 1 - for full access to all divine or arcane spells of 1st and 2nd level. Add in Practiced Spellcaster to gain CL 6 for these.

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »
anything 5 / Chameleon 1 - for full access to all divine or arcane spells of 1st and 2nd level. Add in Practiced Spellcaster to gain CL 6 for these.

Cleric 5 with DMM Persist. There's a lot of good 1st and 2nd level Ranger/Paladin buffs.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:22:35 PM »
I once built this wizard for E6.

He originally used scorching ray and bloodline of fire to boost his caster level, I don't remember why I toned him down.

//edit: also, arcane manipulation + versatile spellcaster + ring of wizardry I = awesome.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:25:55 PM by Dictum Mortuum »
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »
Caster with Blade of Force reserve feat seems like a possible decent investment.
Bonus 3 force damage, and able to deal with incorporeal, which can be rather agitating at E6.
Maybe cleric, cleric-archer or battle sorcerer.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »
Totemists and Incarnates are pretty good for e6 I think, they get many of their really good class features within those levels.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:38:31 PM by Havok4 »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 02:55:38 PM »
The AMAZINGNESS of Factotums is highly curbed by the loss of their action economy.

Crafting is capped just as harshly as spellcasting.  You can't craft an item with a higher CL requirement than your own CL.

Monk 1/Druid 5 is a mediocre bruiser.  You only get 1 Wild Shape a day that lasts 5 hours.  I'd prefer Druid 6 with a Monk's Belt.

Lay on Hands isn't terrible in E6, either, especially if you leverage it with Stigmata.

The most brutal character I can think of in E6 is a Barbarian 2/Crusader 4.  Thing is practically indestructible, locks down like a boss, and even does some charging when it feels like it.

As always, I like Bards.  Inspirational Boost + Song of the Heart = Inspire Courage +3 really easy, and you can just keep grabbing Extra Music for Fascinate -> Suggestion goodness.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
Monk 1/Druid 5 is a mediocre bruiser.  You only get 1 Wild Shape a day that lasts 5 hours.  I'd prefer Druid 6 with a Monk's Belt.

That's why you pick up extra wildshaping as a feat.  I don't think you can get a monk's belt due to caster level constraints.  Anywho, a factotum with cunning surge as a capstone gets my vote as the best.  Second best is Mystic Ranger(Sword of the Arcane), with their full spell casting, 2 good saves, full BAB and feat support.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:13:05 AM »
Wildshape Mystic Ranger 6 with the feat Sword of the Arcane Order - The one man E6 party. You can also throw on other variants like Trapfinding (since Track is a feat) and Arcane Hunter. The feat Wild Cohort will give you a pet if you want one.

Beguiler 5/ Mage of the Arcane Order 1 - requires the feat Arcane Preparation to work but this will basically make a more survivable and versatile caster than a Wizard in E6.

syryous

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:19:48 AM »
Capstone feats?

Mighty Wild Shape [Capstone]
Prerequisite: Druid level 6
Benefit: Choose 1 Large animal. You can wild shape into that animal, subject to all normal wild shape restrictions other than size.

Pick Tiger, Brown Bear, or Dire Bat and you'll be a winner.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »
Divine Minions and Ghosts are fun, or any Major Bloodline since they don't raise your ecl like "normal" class levels ;)
Binders, and Thrallherds are probably my favorite though

Kalashtar, Psychic Warrior5, Thrallherd1 is an interesting choice...
you just beat face until sixth and your secret weapon comes out...

Most epic 5th level thrall ever
Ipgrak, the Relentless (named after my first Progress Quest character)
warning extreme cheese
[spoiler]
I'm not even kidding, it's really bad, don't say I didn't warn you![spoiler]
all 36 levels of major bloodlines, (hey the sad truth is that dragons are sluts) AND this guy is still ecl == 5 AND Thrallherd gets to choose the class levels of the attracted thrall :p)
Binder2
Ardent2
(psionic variant)Anima Mage1

so ML and EBL = ((Binder2 OR Ardent2)+ 36 Bloodlines) + (Anima Mage1 + 36 Bloodlines) = 75
you can now bind Zceryll and spam summon monster as a 75th level Sorcerer
also whatever cheese you can cobble together from two custom mantles, (custom magic mantle should be one :evillaugh)
[/spoiler][/spoiler]
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6726.msg221466#msg221466

I do think E8 is a wee bit better than E6, but I still think it's on many levels better than regular D&D.
Granted, with capstone feats this is less true, but I do prefer E8.
I fluctuate between E6, E8 and the Gestalt versions of both.
It's a very long W.I.P in my case for the EG8 campaign I'm planning.
I've been planning that for years...

Anyway, E6 is the perfect arena for the quintessential classic party though.

Grey Elf Generalist 5/MotAO 1
Goliath D-C Fighter 6
Human Cleric 6
Strongheart Halfling Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3. Though Cagemarrow's build is better now that I look at it. Though I'd rather go Rogue 2/Swash 3 than 1/4. Same BAB gain, more skill points.

The Goliath Fighter is more concerned with hurting people than preventing the party to get hurt. So if one is after a melee frontliner to tank like a champion and provide lockdown and stuff, Crusader is the boss.
Thicket of Blades + Stand Still and the other good feats = the shizznit.

Another very sexy option is Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1.

I suppose Psionic characters love E6. Pick Psionic Body and just keep on buying Psionic Talent?
Deal. First time you take Psionic Talent, get 2 power points. Next time, get 3. Next time, get 4. For every such feat, get 2 HP.
Neat.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
As always, I like Bards.  Inspirational Boost + Song of the Heart = Inspire Courage +3 really easy, and you can just keep grabbing Extra Music for Fascinate -> Suggestion goodness.
This!
Straight Bard is amazing in E6!
You can do all the inspire courage shenanigans, no problem, while still adding other feats for more combat oriented stuff. And the capstone makes all this even better!

A 6th level bard could have badge of valor + vest of legends + Inspirational Boost + Masterwork (alp)Horn + Song of the heart + Words of Creation = +12 to hit and damage rolls on all allies within miles. And in addition to this, when you start getting feats, you can use them for the archery feats, extra arrows is always nice.
Only problem is that it is very MAD if you want words of creation, the charming the arrow feat can change this though.

My personal preference has always been Gestalt E6 though. I really like gestalt because it offers both customisability and personalisation to your character. But I prefer E6 to E8 as I generally regard 4th level spells as being too good for their level.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »
Wildshape Mystic Ranger 6 with the feat Sword of the Arcane Order - The one man E6 party. You can also throw on other variants like Trapfinding (since Track is a feat) and Arcane Hunter. The feat Wild Cohort will give you a pet if you want one.

Beguiler 5/ Mage of the Arcane Order 1 - requires the feat Arcane Preparation to work but this will basically make a more survivable and versatile caster than a Wizard in E6.

All in favor of the Mystic Ranger.  Also, if you like playing a blaster, take Psionic Meditation, Psionic Shot, and Greater Psionic Shot as a psionic base race on a Warlock 6.  Fly around all day, unleashing 7d6 blasts every round until eternity.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

amalcon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »
Psionics tend to work well in general.

Ardent
The strange Ardent power-gaining mechanic may or may not let you take higher level powers than you normally could using things such as Earth Power and Overchannel.  This pegs Expanded Knowledge to a higher level, giving even more options.  That said, if this trick is legal by RAW it deserves the nerfbat.

Astral Construct
Anyone can get level 4 Astral Constructs with Earth Power or Overchannel
3 levels of Wilder, Practiced Spellcaster, Earth Spell, and actually knowing AC gets you level 5 Astral Constructs
Midnight Augmentation and 2 more essentia from anywhere also gets you level 5 ACs without the Wilder levels.
Stacking all of the above (save Earth Power) allows level 6 ACs.  These are CR7, and the first to get multiple attacks.
Truly pull out all the stops and with the right item, you can get level 7 ACs (Wilder 3, Earth Power, Psicrystal Containment, Midnight Augmentation, Improved Essentia Capacity, 2 essentia from anywhere, and a Torc of Power Preservation).  These are CR8, and the first to get a menu C ability.

Earth Power
This feat is simply amazing at low levels.  It's the whole package:  more raw power (due to higher augmentation) and more endurance (everything is cheaper).  The drawback (that it only works while touching the ground) doesn't tend to matter, because you're not flying that often at these levels.

Expanded Knowledge
Cherry-pick powers below your highest power level.

Midnight Augmentation
By itself, it's like Earth Power for only one power and costing your focus.  You can get it up to 3x Earth Power, though.

Psicrystal
Big Guy's with Me provides a great use for the large number of feats, though he's likely to be on the wrong end of the nerfbat for obvious reasons.

Psionic Talent
Psionic Talent is a good feat to take when nothing jumps out at you.  The second one is as good as an Extra Slot on a primary caster, and it's only up from there.

Multiclassing
My favorite multiclass for E6, regardless of whether the Ardent trick is allowed, is Wilder 3/Ardent 2/X 1.  This is mostly for Wild Surge 2.  With Quick Recovery and Enervation Resistance, enervation costs only 1PP and a move action.  The save can be pretty easy, too, thanks to multiclassing good will saves:  with Wis 18, Cha 11, and nothing else, you pass on a 3.  A 10% chance to lose 1PP and a move action, and a 1% chance of losing the standard and swift as well, adds up to a very safe Surge.

This build has the max augmentation capacity in E6.  You can get 6PP Touch of Health that's comparable to CSW, a 1PP Touch of Health comparable to CLW, powerful astral constructs, high-damage blasts, the works.

The X level can be basically whatever you want, mindful of XP penalties.  Another Ardent level (for PP, a power, and BAB) is nice, as is a level of Anarchic Initiate (PP, a power, and more power damage).  The Wilder level (for PP, BAB, a lv2 power, and euphoria) works well, but it does increase your enervation cost.  You can also cherry-pick anything you want for the concept.

johnboy069

• Email
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »

This +1.  :D
This is johnboy069 and toryn from the wizards boards:)
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, you will be missed.\m/ :bigeye

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »

This +1.  :D

Only if his bear is named Misha. Then +1.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
With Wise to Your Ways, Nemesis, and the Arcane Hunter ACF, they'd make for one hell of a Mage Slayer.  For that matter, if the Gestalt Theory rules are in place (letting you snag class features with feats), you could make a downright scary ninja of a Ranger in E6 by adding some Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw.  Not to mention IHS to remove anything that gets through the 3 functionally good saves and Evasion option (again, with a feat).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 04:20:30 AM »
well at my gaming table e6 ended up being more about picking a cool race or template. we got afew free racial/template LA to flavor up the game.

druid-6  -this is my general go to for an e6
ranger/swordsage/fighter - ranged badass
demoralizer- 1/2 orc paragon/barb etc   - never played one until recently but i think it could be pretty efficient in an e6 game

Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Bester

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »
My personal preference has always been Gestalt E6 though. I really like gestalt because it offers both customisability and personalisation to your character. But I prefer E6 to E8 as I generally regard 4th level spells as being too good for their level.

My E6 gestalt game is still going on after almost 2 years.  it's now only weekly instead of bi weekly tho.  You can literally do any flavor under that system, and all the dm has to do is throw cr 10s at you.