Author Topic: I just noticed this about the tiers.  (Read 25659 times)

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: I just noticed this about the tiers.
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »
Give melee types an advantage in options they can take.
:plot
Honestly that thought brings me back round to tome style "Combat feats" being tied to base attack bonus.
Really the same thing applied to skills Iirc. I was looking for another idea actually.
Also that still makes divine power still pretty gnarly, no matter what you do, but... I'd be okay with that actually, as long as the melee's have other things aside from what the class abilites read now.
Perhaps a system where the number of actions was governed by BAB?  Or being able to burn an iterative to take another standard action?  I'm not quite sure how to balance that out,
I'm pretty sure thats broke out the box, it's fresh in my mind because ironically giacomo was here, and well: Wands. Thats his hole thing remeber? What else... Gish and again Dvine power for 4 spells around. Not cool. Its easy to get on the scaling feat/bab wagon, cause I've looked at the tome and know that really does work. So for a second I was just wondering what other options might be. . .

I'm not so certain; there are already rules in place to stop more than one swift spell per round, easy enough to say not more than one swift+ one standard.  Divine Power and its ilk does break any semblance of class parity if we go that route though, so... /shrug. 

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »
Considering polimorph lasts 1min/level you could conceivably have it up beforehand. Unless you get ambushed you usually know when a fight is coming...
Basically turn into a 10 headed hydra with full BAB, proceed to eat fighter. Be happy.

This is patently ridiculous and way worse than any mentally stable fighter. No DM would allow a character like this.

Suicidal characters are just bad to play with and kind annoying tension hogs. Polymorph+Wraithstrike FTW and for not giving up your ability to go "Balor, Balor, Balor" Snaps Fingers "Whore, Whore, Whore."
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2011, 12:19:56 AM »
I was thinking about what weenog suggested above...
[quoteA barbarian losing a grapple with a level-appropriate undead (2/4 BAB) should not even be a possibility to consider, even if it is 3 sizes larger and has a Str score in the 40s.
[/quote]Me too, srsly this is worse than the last guy I told off.

10th level Barbarian.
1. BAB: +10 = 10 Class Levels @ 1/1 BAB Progression.
2. STR: 32 (+11) = 18 (base) + 2 (racial) + 2 (level) + 4 (enhancement) + 6 (greater rage).
3. SIZE/Other: +4 Improved Trip.
= +25.

CR 10 Undead (which is "level appropriate").
1. BAB: +30 = 4 HD per CR @ 3/4 BAB Progression.
2. STR: 40s eh? +15.
3. SIZE/Other: Three sizes larger eh? +12.
= +57.

You know, it would help if if the Grapple supporters knew what the hell they were talking about I think.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure weenog was speaking hypothetically about how the game should be.

...pretty much like I was seven pages ago before Giacomo popped in, we went through a brief phase of hot fighter-on-wizard action, and then we were all playing Magic the Gathering.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2011, 12:49:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure weenog was speaking hypothetically about how the game should be.

...pretty much like I was seven pages ago before Giacomo popped in, we went through a brief phase of hot fighter-on-wizard action, and then we were all playing Magic the Gathering.
Ahh well I read that from whats-his-names-post.

[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »

Ahh well I read that from whats-his-names-post.

Uhm is that me?
Edit: Doesn't matter. Midnight_v for the win.
In anycase I'm sure he does mean "how the game should be", but I don't think the game should be lopsided either way vs level apprpro opponents. I mean what Soro_L wrote with a 57 grapple check vs the Barbarians 25 Is pretty bad gameology as well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:57:54 AM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
Uhm is that me?
Edit: Doesn't matter. Midnight_v for the win.
In anycase I'm sure he does mean "how the game should be", but I don't think the game should be lopsided either way vs level apprpro opponents. I mean what Soro_L wrote with a 57 grapple check vs the Barbarians 25 Is pretty bad gameology as well.
And +30 of the bonus, or +5 more than the barb, was completely based off HD. Before any other modifier the item using max Str Barb was beaten. and it gets worse.

The Big T sports +81 so you'll never win (which to me is how it should be, this is the big t). The Balor and Pit Fiend have mid 30s, or about on par with a lv20 Barb but they also have SLAs can be used in a grapple and both of them have auto break out abilities (blasphemy, greater teleport, will based save or die) and additional damage against those foolish enough to grapple them (flaming body/constrict). The only other CR 20 opponents in the MMI are True Dragons, for example Old Red Dragon sports +52 and denies your reflex save against a Breath Weapon it is aiming at everyone one else.

D&D just plain has poor rules on Grappling. The attacks and checks are lengthy, the other guy's bonuses are naturally higher, it really is flat out inferior to attacking (dex to ac loss/immobile? Just how many ways can that be done these days?), and nothing players have can piggyback it. Like Knock-Down lets to deliver a Trip attempt as part of your damage and Improved Trip gives you a free attempt for even more damage if you're successful. Then for the final kick in the teeth, Freedom Of Movement, arguably one of the most powerful spells in D&D, flat out denies the abiltiy for the subject to be grappled. In fact, more items are printed to escape than there are items to help you pin someone.

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:39 AM »
Though honestly...Polymorph isn't "self only". Wouldn't it make more sense to throw it on the Fighter than on the Familiar? If nothing else, you lose no XP if the Fighter dies...
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2011, 05:10:15 AM »
Though honestly...Polymorph isn't "self only". Wouldn't it make more sense to throw it on the Fighter than on the Familiar? If nothing else, you lose no XP if the Fighter dies...

The fighter in your party could just be another wizard doing the same thing to his own familiar instead, and you're ahead on action economy and options.  Don't forget that the fighter is taking the place of someone else who could be more useful.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2011, 07:35:19 AM »

The fighter in your party could just be another wizard doing the same thing to his own familiar instead, and you're ahead on action economy and options.  Don't forget that the fighter is taking the place of someone else who could be more useful.

...or a Warblade or a Crusader or a Favored Soul or a Binder or a Factotum. Tier 1 classes aren't the only useful classes - you don't have to break the game to win it. But a Polymorph is simply wasted on a Familiar or non-Gish Wizard, because they aren't set up to capitalize on the bonuses. Even a Fighter would be a better target.

Now, if you want to replace a Fighter with a spell, Summon Monster isn't a bad choice..whatever damage they take, the party doesn't, and you never have to heal them after a fight. Honestly, I'm not picking a side...I just hate "tactics" that make no sense in actual play.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2011, 08:00:08 AM »
I was thinking about what weenog suggested above...
For BAB to really shine (though still nowhere near as much as full casting), it would need to be the first and final word in combat maneuvers, damage output, and number of attacks.  A barbarian losing a grapple with a level-appropriate undead (2/4 BAB) should not even be a possibility to consider, even if it is 3 sizes larger and has a Str score in the 40s.  A wizard's best option for solving a problem that needs to die should be hiring on a knight or the like and pointing him at the problem (none of this heavily metamagic scorching ray, or save or die spell type of stuff).  The fighter who TWFs should be making at least half the attacks per round (counting both sides) in any given combat that doesn't include another 4/4 BAB class, with most of them at or near his full attack bonus.  
I sat and thought about it for a bit. I don't think creating and enviorn where its impossible to defeat melee's in melee is what is desired either. I hate to contrdict myself, if I ever stated the contrary, but I don't think creating a scenario where bab is greater than casting or whatever sucks is any good either. I'd like a system where both of them are parsed to shine when you choose them.

Perhaps a system where the number of actions was governed by BAB?  Or being able to burn an iterative to take another standard action?  I'm not quite sure how to balance that out, but it seems to me like the only thing close in power to spellcasting is action economy.  Give melee types an advantage in options they can take.

Well, the key factors here(as discussed just before the damned derail), was that BAB does not do its job at making you better at fighting. Combat ability is more than just accuracy, for BAB to count as a basic statistically significant thing, lets take a level 10 warrior character and leave him naked. Now lets take another warrior, at level 5 and put them in a cage match.  Give them both a regular club, caveman style.

To hit - The level 10 dude has +15 to hit between str 20 and BAB 10, the level 5 dude has +9 to hit between str 18 and BAB 5.
Damage - Both of them being naked, the level 10 warrior hits for....1.5 more damage than the level 5 dude's 1d6+6(9). Good thing he has an iterative attack, so he hits for twice the level 5 dude, 2d6+12(18) in all.
Health - The level 10 dude has twice as much health. Going with Con 14, the level 5 version has 5d8+10(36) and the level 10 has 10d8+20(68).
AC - They both have the same AC of 12.

So discounting even the effects of spells, combat style and gear, just a straight out beef to beef contest, BAB and HD doesn't do a whole lot does it? You could replace one of them with a rogue of the same base stats and not notice much of a difference. Or a sorc who's out of spells even(with a mysteriously 18/20 Str). The fight would go similarly, even though its intentionally set up to maximize the visible effects of a higher BAB(the extra attack vs no extra attack).

Thoughts on the effects of making BAB grant to hit(+1/BAB), AC(+1/BAB) and damage(+1/BAB) bonuses? This makes it more significant than any single stat, as well as most buffs. It does make rocket tag worse without a corresponding DR improvement, but we'll leave that point for later.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »
A barbarian losing a grapple with a level-appropriate undead (2/4 BAB) should not even be a possibility to consider,

Everyone liked this hypothetical statement so much, I'm surprised.  Just for my own curiosity, I'm going to modify it slightly, and try to get a feel for whether the objections are to an expert (a focused expert at that) in a field dominating in that field, or to warriors having nice things.

• A barbariansorcerer losing a grapplemagic duel with a level-appropriate undead (2/4 BAB)dragon shaman should not even be a possibility to consider,
  • A barbarianwizard losing a grapplesolo survival challenge race across the elemental, positive, and negative energy planes with a level-appropriate undead (2/4 BAB)ranger should not even be a possibility to consider,

Should they be fair contests?  The dragon shaman has magic in the form of supernatural and spell-like abilities, and unlike the sorcerer, almost all of his are usable at-will.  Who's supposed to win, there?  What about the planes race?  You're going to need magic to survive such inhospitable environments alone, and they both have it, in spell form even... but the ranger's only a half caster.  Is that a more overwhelming disadvantage than having access to the planar ranger substitution level? Should it be?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:19:38 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2011, 09:31:02 AM »
A barbarianwizard losing a grapplesolo survival challenge race across the elemental, positive, and negative energy planes with a level-appropriate undead (2/4 BAB)ranger should not even be a possibility to consider,

This sounds like an awesome version of the Amazing Race: D&D Edition.  I nominate weenog to run it!
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
That might be pretty awesome with characters that are genuinely up to surviving it, but I'm not up to DMing it, sorry.

Besides, a course that crosses the lower planes would be more fun for the ranger.  If you're gonna have Endurance, you might as well have Lasting Life, and what fun is Lasting Life without succubi to exploit?

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »
A wizard losing a solo survival challenge race across the elemental, positive, and negative energy planes with a level-appropriate ranger should not even be a possibility to consider

Greater Teleport. Man, that was an easy race.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
A wizard losing a solo survival challenge race across the elemental, positive, and negative energy planes with a level-appropriate ranger should not even be a possibility to consider

Greater Teleport. Man, that was an easy race.
For the win.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
Greater teleport won't do interplanar travel, but yes, it would certainly make getting from the point you entered the current plane to the checkpoint on that plane much faster and easier.  Depending on how well you know the territory you're crossing, it might also get you safely to a hidey-hole where you don't have to spend a night on fire or breathing water or whatever before recovering spells.  That's assuming you don't just make your own magical safe spot excluded from the nasty effects of the plane while you wait.

Ranger does... what, exactly?

And if this disparity in rearranging reality to suit your whims or dodging the inconvenient bits of it is well and good for a primary caster vs a half caster that does other things too, should a similar disparity between a focused, full BAB war machine and a 1/2 or 3/4 BAB individual that does other things be so objectionable?

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »

...or a Warblade or a Crusader or a Favored Soul or a Binder or a Factotum. Tier 1 classes aren't the only useful classes - you don't have to break the game to win it. But a Polymorph is simply wasted on a Familiar or non-Gish Wizard, because they aren't set up to capitalize on the bonuses. Even a Fighter would be a better target.

Now, if you want to replace a Fighter with a spell, Summon Monster isn't a bad choice..whatever damage they take, the party doesn't, and you never have to heal them after a fight. Honestly, I'm not picking a side...I just hate "tactics" that make no sense in actual play.

As long as we can agree the Fighter isn't the best person for that slot, we're cool. :)  It's really sad to see the disappointment on a new player's face after a couple levels when their Fighter or Monk starts to suck compared to level-appropriate challenges.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
Note that not everyone cares for such things. But that's probably a minority. I would care.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
CR 10 Undead (which is "level appropriate").
1. BAB: +30 = 4 HD per CR @ 3/4 BAB Progression.
2. STR: 40s eh? +15.
3. SIZE/Other: Three sizes larger eh? +12.
= +57.
1) That's not a CR 10 undead, that's a +10 CR bonus to an existing undead creature.

2) Undead have poor BAB progression: 1/2 HD.

3) Those are, again, the guidelines according to the MM about how to advance monsters.  It's pretty obvious that they're pretty blatantly flawed.

4) In spite of the flaws, here's an advanced Mohrg, an undead grappler, advanced to CR 11:
BAB: +11 (22 HD)
Str: +10 (31)
Size: +4 (Large)
Grapple: +25

The Mohrg could, potentially, take Improved Grapple, boosting it's mod by +4, but the barbarian should have Enlarge Person on him if he seriously intends to grapple, netting a +5 himself.  Thats a Level 10 Barbarian beating a CR 11 creature, specialized for grappling, in a grapple.  If it weren't for Freedom of Movement, this would probably matter, but it doesn't.