Author Topic: Staves - Why no love?  (Read 9062 times)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Staves - Why no love?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
I'm surprised Lycanthropmancer hasn't commented yet. He loves long, thick staves.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »
Staves are awesome.  Just don't buy one with spells in it, for the love of god.

A +1 Defending, Eager/+1 Spellstrike, Warning staff with two wand chambers of Nerveskitter is awesome.  Throw two GMWs on it, and you're adding (up to) +5 to your AC, and to saves vs spells.  Alternatively, Smoking and that one that makes you immune to a specific spell are good choices.  Ifyou want to 'cast' from a staff, just replace one of the wands of nerveskitter with a wand of a spell where the DC doesn't matter so much. 

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 12:19:14 AM »
The real problem is that most spells are overcosted.  But there are rules for making your own staves!  If your DM lets you do so, by all means, make a Staff of Fireball (and only Fireball) and go crazy.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 01:31:46 AM »
I'm surprised Lycanthropmancer hasn't commented yet. He loves long, thick staves.
His hands are busy right now.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 04:11:02 AM »
So if you take the enhance item feat from the Epic Level Handbook (it isn't an epic feat though), do you get to use your ability modifier twice for the purpose of save dcs?

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
The real problem is that most spells are overcosted.  But there are rules for making your own staves!  If your DM lets you do so, by all means, make a Staff of Fireball (and only Fireball) and go crazy.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »
Staves are awesome.  Just don't buy one with spells in it, for the love of god.

A +1 Defending, Eager/+1 Spellstrike, Warning staff with two wand chambers of Nerveskitter is awesome.  Throw two GMWs on it, and you're adding (up to) +5 to your AC, and to saves vs spells.  Alternatively, Smoking and that one that makes you immune to a specific spell are good choices.  Ifyou want to 'cast' from a staff, just replace one of the wands of nerveskitter with a wand of a spell where the DC doesn't matter so much. 

+1

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
Scepters are not very good.  As said before, they're only useful for 5th or 6th level spell trigger items crafted between levels 9 and 12.  At that point, you're better off re-training the Craft Scepter feat and taking Craft Staff instead.  Staves are, by far, the most efficient Spell Trigger items in the game when you store a single spell in them (which you should ALWAYS do when you craft them yourself).  That said, you probably won't miss much by just making Wands up until 12th level and making Staves after.

In other words, the various spell-use items you should employ are as follows, depending on what you care about most:
Versatility - Scrolls
Efficiency - Staves
Efficiency AND Ease of storage - Wands
Action Economy - Potions (assuming the user has invested in one of the action-saving tricks that make potions better)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
Wow. I'm not even in this thread and my ears are itching.

That's what my hands are doing. Scratching my ears.

Yeah.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]